Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 14,811 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a second home/retirement home in a gated Pocono lake community. We have a 16 yr. old daughter with special needs who will be with us always. We need a safe community with lots of amenities, especially an indoor pool, she loves to be in the water. We are looking at Lake Naomi(heard the rec center membership is very high though, Big Bass, Hemlock Farms and Arrowhead. We prefer to have not too many renters, for safety reason and not a lot of crowds. A lot to ask for!?!? Any suggestions.

Thanks! wemp82
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Saw Creek is the only one I know of that has an Indoor pool ..

You are asking for a lot cause MOST community's have a good Number of renters

Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 14,811 times
Default reply to looking for second home

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, I guess most places do have a lot of renters. All the communities I named do have indoor pools. I was just wondering if any have a better reputation than another.

wemp82

Old 09-16-2009, 01:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
Hemlock Farms is the only one that I am very familiar with....locally it has a pretty decent reputation though some people do not like all the rules & regulations, and the dues are very high for the area (just over $1,800 per year).

It is gated, the facilities are pretty well maintained, nice beaches on the lakes.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM

910 posts, read 2,991,538 times
Yes there are plenty of devps here that have indoor pools! Unfortunately I think you are looking for a tough mix - with alot of ammenities comes alot of renters/crowds. Maybe consider one of the much smaller devps with an indoor pool, maybe not gated but when they are that much smaller they are that much safer. Tricky for sure! We have a child with special needs and preferred to find a quieter set devp with not too much going on, more peace & quiet, and were able to fence in our backyard for safety.
If you also need to think ahead for special ed you may want to go by school district as well. Good luck -PM with any questions

Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 AM

130 posts, read 316,973 times
Default looking for second home in the pocono community

We have been living in Hemlock Farms since April and really like it; it is very widely spread out (approx. 4500 acres) so it is not crowded and loud. you can be as busy or not busy as you want. There are many activities for kids/adults. There is a library and several churches also which is so convenient b/c everything is close. Weiss's in right outside of the entrance. The indoor pool is beautiful one of the reasons we moved here... we love to swim year round. The fees are high but our taxes are lower so that how we justify paying. Public safety is wonderful here; it gives me peace of mind to know that they are right here to protect us.It is a gated comm. and there is a fire dept. right there. I belong to a support group for spec. needs kids that is great, a compassionate bunch of parents!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,488,717 times
Both Lake Naomi and Big Bass Lakes have indoor pools.....Lake Naomi fees are high, but it's a beautiful
well run community..you won't be disappointed there. Big Bass is also nice, a little further up off of
Route 380...I wouldn't suggest Saw Creek at all..if you don't want crowds then don't look there. Good
Luck.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
WLE is also good. It has about 1300 homes, 500 are fulltime. We have three pools ; two outdoor and one indoor. Honestly only one outdoor gets a little crowded. The indoor ; I have never seen more than 20 people there. The other outdoor pool is nice and quiet. Security is good ; not a gated, but security driving around all the time.

d

Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,417 times
Woodloch is a wonderful family place with tons of activities and outstanding facilities. The fees are higher than most but if you talk to anyone that lives their, I think you will find that the facilities and services are a good value.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 20,047 times
Default Indoor pool

Lake Naomi / Timber Trails would be my suggestion. Without boring you with a long explanation, the indoor community center assessment can be paid annually rather than in a lump-sum. Annual payments are only $517.

Any community with an indoor pool or other great amenities are going to have renters, but as long as you go with a high-end community, you will know that the facilities are well-run. The indoor pool in LN/TT has a zero-depth entry - great for anyone with decreased moliblity. Pictures of the facilities are available at:
lakenaomiclub.com
lakenaomi.com

I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania