Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times

Advertisements

Yes the area did change and not for the better...But when I lived there I started to see changes I didn't
like. ..but like Karen said for too long the powers that be, ie., law enforcement, etc. did nothing or tried
to pretend that nothing was happening then boom, it hit them in the face now you have gangs like the
crips and bloods in NEPA..I hope they have a handle on this situation and can weed this garbage out.
I love going back, was just there this summer..I miss it...So much to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:15 PM

75 posts, read 154,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Which begs the question: Why have the communities failed to deal with it? Why has law enforcement kept its head in the sand so long until the problem got out of control?

You can lay part of the blame on the criminals that came here but more of the blame on the communities that have tolerated the criminal behavior for way too long....

I agree. But i'm putting my bet that the community law enforcement was not "prepared" to deal wtih such an influx of people, and/or lack of funds to hire additional police, and lets not forget the most important-political bs.

I'm sure there are much deeper underlying problems, but law enforcement is not the excuse for rejects moving into the area.

Also, lets not forget to thank our devoted, loyal and oh-so-righteous Sister Adrian...for starting this whole process. Kudos to her for single-handedly starting to ruin such a beautiful area. Good job!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
But they are prepared now. Anyone see that hunk of "tank" displayed at the West End Fair and in the local news when it arrived. Just looking at it would scare someone out of town. It looks like they just might mean business now..........

I must say that my trip into Stroudsburg this summer was great. Every lamp post had massive blooms of flowers. The store fronts look awesome. One million was donated by the race track owner for Stroudsburgs improvement. Its looking good.......and things are turning around for sure.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Quote:
but law enforcement is not the excuse for rejects moving into the area.
No, but who is to blame for allowing crime to get out of control? The politicial BS you spoke of is probably a big part of that - and would that be the local officials?

Summering, hubby and I were in Stroudsburg ("Da Burg") in August, I think - it was a lovely town. The part we went through (to the Sherman Theater) made a lovely impression. I would certainly like to go out and check it out again sometime.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
No, but who is to blame for allowing crime to get out of control? The politicial BS you spoke of is probably a big part of that - and would that be the local officials?

Local officials, state/federal officials, the economy, etc and poltical bs from BOTH areas...and sister sneakers. Why pick nepa to move into?? go somewhere else...who the hell wants these scum moving and ruining a nice area???

Summering - A battering ram tank isnt going to solve all the crime....thats not the only way to "build up resources" to fight crime, sorry. What are you going to do "scare the criminals away?" Drive that thing up and down every street in the town? hahaha

Old 10-07-2009, 04:58 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENAL670 View Post
Local officials, state/federal officials, the economy, etc and poltical bs from BOTH areas...and sister sneakers. Why pick nepa to move into?? go somewhere else...who the hell wants these scum moving and ruining a nice area???

Summering - A battering ram tank isnt going to solve all the crime....thats not the only way to "build up resources" to fight crime, sorry. What are you going to do "scare the criminals away?" Drive that thing up and down every street in the town? hahaha
Last time I checked NEPA is still in the US of A and one lovely thing about this country...you can move anywhere you can afford...not like other countries!!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Last time I checked NEPA is still in the US of A and one lovely thing about this country...you can move anywhere you can afford...not like other countries!!!!!!!

While true, last time i checked, the people in the US of A also have the right to not get kidnapped, murdered, raped, assaulted, have their property stolen or set on fire, or walk down the street in fear of their lives or general well-being.

Unfortunetly, when the bad element moves into an area and destroys it in such a manner and makes people witness, expereince and fear these things, thats when i stop and say "yea...scumbags moving in from out of state and its not for the better....gee, wonder WHY crime is up and the area is getting ruined....yea....tough one" and i stop agreeing with the "migration" if you will.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:48 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businezguy View Post
I'm definitely one of those contributing to the long commute time for East Stroudsburg. I have about a 1.5 hour commute one way to Newark NJ, right outside of NYC.
I commute to the city from NJ, and I have a number of coworkers who commute now from the Poconos. It's increasing.

They are doing the environmental stuff now for the train line out there.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:27 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,199 times
summering, so glad to hear that Stroudsburg is "looking up"...I miss the football games at East Burg in
the "purple pit" and the Thanksgiving day rivalry game between East Stroudsburg and Strousburg, and
the "little brown jug" trophy...I really do hope that with increased police presence now with the regional police
that things will get back to "normal".....We didn't get down to Stroudsburg this summer. Stayed up on
the Mt. more.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:50 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENAL670 View Post
While true, last time i checked, the people in the US of A also have the right to not get kidnapped, murdered, raped, assaulted, have their property stolen or set on fire, or walk down the street in fear of their lives or general well-being.

Unfortunetly, when the bad element moves into an area and destroys it in such a manner and makes people witness, expereince and fear these things, thats when i stop and say "yea...scumbags moving in from out of state and its not for the better....gee, wonder WHY crime is up and the area is getting ruined....yea....tough one" and i stop agreeing with the "migration" if you will.
Sorry to say this to you but I must be blunt...I have met/been introduced to more home grown scumbags here than any other place I have lived. Judges in Luzerne County come to mind!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania