Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:47 AM

41 posts, read 211,466 times

Advertisements

can somebody tell me a little info on this place(if you live nearby that would be great) I have read a little about this place and would like to visit ,take some pics,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:03 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by design123 View Post
can somebody tell me a little info on this place(if you live nearby that would be great) I have read a little about this place and would like to visit ,take some pics,

You CANT get in there .. If you try you will be arrested ..

They say its haunted . who knows for sure .MTV filmed a show there and since LOTS of people went there and started to damage the place .. If you go there and get on the property BEWARE there are traps set and a few people who keep an eye on the place There are signs warning of trespass .. Tread lightly

Old 09-29-2009, 07:52 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
I love when questions like this are posted!

I've lived in the area for over two years and was totally unaware there is a property with such a fantastic history nearby. The web site shows the property is for sale. There is a 1981 brochure with pictures attached to the site.

The Poconos is a fascinating area for anyone who enjoys history. What a grand place this must have been in the early 1900s! There are places tucked away in these mountains that are phantoms of an opulent past. If you didn't grow up here, you'd have no idea they exist.

Now....who wants to buy this place and bring it back?!? LOL! My petty cash jar won't cover it.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
I love when questions like this are posted!

I've lived in the area for over two years and was totally unaware there is a property with such a fantastic history nearby. The web site shows the property is for sale. There is a 1981 brochure with pictures attached to the site.

The Poconos is a fascinating area for anyone who enjoys history. What a grand place this must have been in the early 1900s! There are places tucked away in these mountains that are phantoms of an opulent past. If you didn't grow up here, you'd have no idea they exist.

Now....who wants to buy this place and bring it back?!? LOL! My petty cash jar won't cover it.

Its beyond repair . It would have to be razed . I bet in a few yrs Louie Denaples snatch's it up and makes a hotel there

Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Ahhick....that's a shame. Is it gutted? It looks as if they had quite a decor.

I can understand why these places went down with air flights becoming cheaper. New York/Philly folks traveled farther for vacations, but things are changing back. Flying isn't fun anymore even if the cost is less. Maybe there will still be life for destinations that can be restored.

Too bad, as a society, we are seeing less and less middle class. We would be the masses who keep all if it running.....but that's another subject.

Louie Denaples....is he the Mt. Airy guy? I need to read I Heard You Paint Houses. Isn't he involved in that story line?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Ahhick....that's a shame. Is it gutted? It looks as if they had quite a decor.

I can understand why these places went down with air flights becoming cheaper. New York/Philly folks traveled farther for vacations, but things are changing back. Flying isn't fun anymore even if the cost is less. Maybe there will still be life for destinations that can be restored.

Too bad, as a society, we are seeing less and less middle class. We would be the masses who keep all if it running.....but that's another subject.

Louie Denaples....is he the Mt. Airy guy? I need to read I Heard You Paint Houses. Isn't he involved in that story line?

Indeed it is him ( he owns Mount Airy ) and a host of other business
s

Nice guy . an awesome businessman

Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM

I found some of the YouTube videos of Buck Falls Inn....the haunting stuff. Yep. The place is beyond restorable. They must have have some serious vandals filtering through there.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:13 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
I worked at the Inn at Buckhill Falls in 1963 !!! I worked in the Bluestone Room, what a gorgeous place the Inn was and opulent even then. And don't forget places are only haunted IF you believe....

Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
And !!! I remember waiting on Kathy Crosby (Bing's wife) she was playing at the Pocono Playhouse, she left a dime tip for a glass of milk. We heard later she left a sizable gratuity at the front desk to be divided among the help, we never got anything !!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 AM

nkotb....You must have some wonderful memories and experiences to ponder. Those of us who remember those times.........well, I mean the swift changes of socialization between the "Dirty Dancing" years and the "Woodstock" years.

You would probably know. When did the changes really effect tourism in the Poconos? There are some new venues here...i.e. Mt. Airy/Wolf Lodge, etc. I was surprised when we first began snoopin' for a home here. It was if time stood still in the late 1960s.

Most of the beach resorts (DE/MD are my familiar stomping ground) have changed dramatically. The evidence of early tourism there is gone. Homes and businesses have moved farther inland, but the old was torn down to make way for big, hunks of vinyl and glass. Maybe it's just more obvious there....flat, open, and less land. The Poconos seem more like a patchwork quilt with surprises tucked inside.

I'd be interested in learning about the history of the Poconos. Where are some of these places? I did see Sky Top....are there more places like that still in business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania