Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Umm...former Nyers or NJesties...didn't start this thread!!!!!

Where did I say that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Where did I say that???
You didn't I was once again stating that the op was not a nyer or jerseyite...that is all...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
I think many NEPA natives want this lifestyle. Not too concerned with building a career, plannig for the future, etc...

It is very clear there is not a lot of "get up and go" there, quite content to have an "average" life.

To some of us who want so much more out of life, hard to identify with that lifestyle.
Yes, you are absolutely right. And I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. So what? I want to have a quiet, family oriented life and have no desire or need to go after the big bucks. I have plenty of get up and go. But it has nothing to do with status, money, living in a development etc. It does, however, have much to do with the fact that I think family is NUMBER ONE. That I think my time is better served by volunteering to help those less fortunate than working 60 hours a week in order to "live the good life".

Yep, I can really see what is so wrong with being happy with what you have.

What a joke.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You didn't I was once again stating that the op was not a nyer or jerseyite...that is all...

Ok....

Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Some of us transplants have already spent the better part of our lives running in the rat race and found it lacking...another big plus for NEPA...if you want to work 24/7...you can but it is not needed to SURVIVE~

Right. And my family and I do more than survive. We live a very fulfilling life because we are *happy* with what we have and realize that people don't need to pull down six figures to live.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There's more to life than the rat race....I work to live, I don't live to work. You only get one life, you have to slow down, enjoy your family or whoever you love, to spend your life working and commuting is nuts. I went to college and I have a good enough job that I can live fairly comfortably in Scranton, and that is OK with me. I'll never be rich, but I'll never be poor God willing since I have a very secure job, and I'm happy with that. When you're on your death bed someday you may regret not stopping to smell the roses once in a while. Material things are not everything.
Kudos to you! Bravo!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right. And I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. So what? I want to have a quiet, family oriented life and have no desire or need to go after the big bucks. I have plenty of get up and go. But it has nothing to do with status, money, living in a development etc. It does, however, have much to do with the fact that I think family is NUMBER ONE. That I think my time is better served by volunteering to help those less fortunate than working 60 hours a week in order to "live the good life".

Yep, I can really see what is so wrong with being happy with what you have.

What a joke.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
There's more to life than the rat race....I work to live, I don't live to work. You only get one life, you have to slow down, enjoy your family or whoever you love, to spend your life working and commuting is nuts. I went to college and I have a good enough job that I can live fairly comfortably in Scranton, and that is OK with me. I'll never be rich, but I'll never be poor God willing since I have a very secure job, and I'm happy with that. When you're on your death bed someday you may regret not stopping to smell the roses once in a while. Material things are not everything.

This.

My husband's grandfather died last week. At his funeral were numerous family and friends. The memories of this man were inspiring. He lived in a podunk little town in a not very "classy" house but he was a very classy man. He helped anyone and everyone he could. He was a very good man that many people admired. He worked very hard in his life but his family was number one. As evidenced by the outpouring of the community and family at his funeral.

I'm sure as my husband's grandfather lay dying surrounded by ALL of his children (7) and grandchildren (15) and great grandchildren (6) that he was kicking himself for not having worked 80 hours a week to buy a new house.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
I think many NEPA natives want this lifestyle. Not too concerned with building a career, plannig for the future, etc...

It is very clear there is not a lot of "get up and go" there, quite content to have an "average" life.

To some of us who want so much more out of life, hard to identify with that lifestyle.
and theres absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a quiet lifestyle... its just not for me, thats all.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 PM

567 posts, read 1,306,217 times
Ok... One actual complaint...not a personal preference.......... just one really....

Here is my BEEF with NEPA... I'm looking for a contingency apartment in the area outside of W-B incase my chicago job falls through...and its as if NEPA is afraid of its own shadows....

i mentioned to a co-worker that if i could not get the job in chicago; i'd be looking for apartments outside of W-B City or Scranton City due to their ridiculous local taxes... i mentioned places like edwardsville, plymouth, and hanover, and he acted as if i were about to move into Detroit, Gary Indiana, or Camden....

My beef is that; while sure they may be less then perfect neighborhoods, with some shady people hanging around; but by no means should anyone be afraid of these places. You are safe walking down the streets of Hanover edwardsville and plymouth.. i promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania