U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,280,013 times
Default Cord of wood- average price?

We are having our wood stove installed today. We would like to know what the average cord of wood is going for: seasoned split, and seasoned round. The place we bought the stove from gave us a price of $110 for a half cord, and we don't know if this is high/low. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 08:49 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,475,317 times
Do you have a truck? I always enjoyed picking my own also, if you look in the ads you can usually find people giving it away when they get trees cut down.,,Stay away fron conifers...too much creosote buildip in the stack.. Also you will need to clean your flue once in a while, Get a brush with fiberglass extension poles and run it thry every couple months..

Old 10-06-2009, 08:54 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,567,411 times
a cord of wood is 4' wide 4' high and 8' long stacked nice and tight ...

Most people charge $125.00 - $190.00 Its who you know ..

Getting it By the triaxle load is the BEST way , and you cut and split it and stack it yourself

Here is a local guy

Hardwood Firewood Ready on the Tri Axle Let's Trade!! (http://poconos.craigslist.org/bar/1402542885.html - broken link)

Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM

22,186 posts, read 16,263,001 times
It's the best way and certainly going to be the cheapest but it's illegal to sell it by the "truckload" whether the customer agrees to it or not. Anything sold as bulk in Pennsylvania comes under the jurisdiction of the bureau of weights and measures. In the case of liquid fuels a certified pump, in the case of coal a certified weight certificate is required. Wood gets iffy because it's not sold by weight and the actual volume of a "cord" is going to vary slightly but nonetheless they still need to quantify what you are purchasing. The law is designed to protect consumers but in the end does more harm than good. Be careful who you're dealing with as wood is not regualted very well like most other fuels are.

Also be sure what they are quoting you a price for, a full cord and face cord are significantly different. A face cord is just the width of one log typically 16 inches or so.

$110 for half a full cord sounds reasonable, $110 for half a face cord would be a lot.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 AM

41 posts, read 129,963 times
Default Cord of wood- average price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
We are having our wood stove installed today. We would like to know what the average cord of wood is going for: seasoned split, and seasoned round. The place we bought the stove from gave us a price of $110 for a half cord, and we don't know if this is high/low. Thanks!
I think it is between 150-175 a cord----just make sure it is seasoned wood they are selling.......dont get caught in there trap...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:32 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,938,639 times
In northeast Ohio a cord is being advertized for between $190.00 and $240.00 depending on the vendor. That includes delivery and some vendors offer to stack it.
So a half cord at $110.00 is in the ballpark. About mid range in price.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,280,013 times
Thanks for your feedback everyone! My husband found some ads on Craigslist for seasoned wood even cheaper than the $110/half cord. He's going to look into it, and all the other suggestions here.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 69,553 times
Default price of wood

I pay $85 for a cord in springfield, mo.. is the disparity that great?! sounds like a business opportunity to me...shipping it to your region is not that expensive....I grew up in Lancaster, Pa...Train shipment is CHEAP....any ideas let me know...mjward@gol.com

regards,

Michael

Old 10-14-2009, 11:31 PM

12 posts, read 103,179 times
I've seen it for around $100

Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM

22,186 posts, read 16,263,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suretotravel08 View Post
I've seen it for around $100
If that's a for a full cord I'd question it. Having worked in the solid fuel business I know how easy it is to rip people off and it's even easier with wood. Even with coal which requires that it be weighed it's not that hard to do. I had to deal with a lot of potential customers thinking my price was too high when in fact it was less. I think the bottom line with coal or wood is how reputable your dealer is. That's a lot of wood and a lot of work for $100 and as the old saying goes if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Tips for purchasing Firewood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania