Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 02:04 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
When you say Stroudsburg, don't limit yourself to that EXACT town, check out the immediate surrounding areas too. After School stuff..hmmm.. there is a YMCA in Stroudsburg on 9th street. Also Monroe County Recreational has programs. And the Northampton Community college has activities too. There are some local places that have Karate and music lessons, but I would not have any recommendations on where to send you exactly.

SWB---
Mollys right........in Brodheadsville/Saylorburg area there are two Karate places I know of one on 209 and one in the strip mall of Brodheadsville.
There is a climbing, gym, that has all sorts of boy activites just across from the Brodheadsville Library...on Pilgrim Rd. There is a dancing class that also has a good team of twirlers in the Brodheadville strip area.
Stroudsburg does have a YMCA for swimming lessons.... or just swimming.
Also, one of the schools on Chipperfield has times for family swimming at the indoor pool. There is another large Library in Stroudsburg. The environmental center holds classes on wildlife and also takes kids on hikes.
There is two local outdoor pools in Stroudsburg one by the high school and one called Dansbury Pool. Plus, the schools have many activites for the kids always.........
PS I somehow think this left the thread it was to be placed in.........

Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,480 times
OK ALL YOU Pocono-know-it-alls!!! LOL We are all doing a great job of advising the NEWBIEs where to go/what to do/and where not to do/go.

Bravo to all.

Isn't the slogan of PA ...you got a friend in PA!!

And as the initial poster of this 11page thread---yeah me!! LOL

Lets all keep giving this great advice!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
I just came across some vacation pictures from the 1970's of Hillside Lodge. Is that place still there and if so what kind of shape is it in?

Have some good memories of vacationing there with aunts, uncles and cousins.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:37 AM

15 posts, read 45,011 times
Default Home Inspection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I don't know that I would waive a home inspection. My husband and I did not have a home inspection with the house we bought because hey, he's a carpenter by trade and knows his stuff, right? So - sure, he was able to tell structurally that everything was fairly cool - the issues we had later with the roof probably would not have been revealed by an inspector either. BUT...

We did NOT know all the places to look for mold, and lo and behold..our two bedroom closets (cleverly painted dark blue by the tenants) were FULL of mold on the outside walls. Which not only got our daughter very sick but also ruined my wedding dress. My daughter's repeated "sinus infections" that got worse ONLY at nap time and bed time finally clued us in that SOMETHING in her room was making her sick..and then we found the mold. Would an inspector have found it? We'll never know....but I believe he would.

The real estate office where I work has worked with several different inspectors. One of the favorite ones is Pat Russell. I do not have his information here but will get it when I go to the office.
We're definitely going to go with a home inspection if we can ever get the contract signed on the deal. Since you work in real estate, can you tell me if the process always goes this slow up there? We made an offer on the place 3 weeks ago today and got a verbal aggreement a few days later. In the mean time we've sold another property that the aggreement is contingent on, gotten a mortgage commitment, and basically done everything we need to do and we're still waiting for the seller to sign the papers and it takes 2-3 days just to get a call back from the realtor. I know we're uptight down here in the south east but this is all a little TOO laid back for me!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
we saw a home we liked in tanglwood near hawley. put an offer in on a sunday, by monday night the realtor e-mailed me the contracts, we signed them, sent them back over night mail

next day realtor had all parties sign and dropped the paperwork off at the title company. within 3 days we were ready to rock. had the home inspector yesterday and we should close in 2 weeks.

phew i couldnt believe how fast everything happened

Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 8,847 times
Hi Molly currently my husband and I are thinking about moving from NYC to Effort but are unsure, can you give me any information that you might have regarding Effort. Perhaps the school system and maybe how the area is in general. Thank you

Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB23 View Post
Hi Molly currently my husband and I are thinking about moving from NYC to Effort but are unsure, can you give me any information that you might have regarding Effort. Perhaps the school system and maybe how the area is in general. Thank you
I live on the border of Effort in Brodheadsville.
Plesant Valley Schools are known around this county as one of the best.
They are close by and full of activities.
The home prices are great........Huge home and land for under 300........
I know of a gorgeous home with 5 bedrooms, tons of room going for 279,000 right now. Huge property and stunning views.
There is a bus out of Effort to NYC .......but .........more on schedules going out of DWG area.
We have all the grocery stores you need, fast foods etc.
For shopping we go into Windgap or the back way thru Long Pong up to Pocono shopping ( for Walmart, Kmart and such)
Moves .......we go to Regal off of 33 about 15 min away. Also in that area is a Sams Club, Wegmans, Walmart, and other stores...up a bit further is a small mall with Boscovs and Bontons off of 248 also.
We love everything about this community.........
It is quiet, peaceful and fun..........State Parks are not far.
There is dancing classes off of 209, a good library, a great climbing, indoor sports place, camping nearby........a great place to be.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,847 times
Default Thank you

Thank you for the information that you provided! It seems as if Effort is a beautiful place to live and raise our child. I have one more question for you or anyone that can answer. As i mentioned above my husband and i are looking to relocate to Effort, does anyone have any information on Target home builders

Thank you again in advance

Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM

92 posts, read 298,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapshoe View Post

Hickory Farms sounds like a condominium or gated community with an Association imposing rules.

For my first post, I'd just like to mention that 'Hickory Farms' also sounds like a novelty meat and cheese store.
Thank you.

Last edited by tcwest; 07-02-2007 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: improper tags

Old 07-03-2007, 03:14 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB23 View Post
I echo the great words that Summering says. I live on the border of Effort/Reeders.

Target home builders. I know the V.P. --great guy, named Joe. Target does build very nice homes not sure if they work in Effort. Perhaps look in the development called the BIRCHES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania