Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:37 AM

17 posts, read 61,352 times

Advertisements

Opal ~

Where do you live in Pikes Cty.? Bushkill? Saw Creek Estates? I am considering ... just considering ... barely skirting with the idea ... of moving to or renting in a gated community briefly, while I look for my "dream contemporary home" (or build it). How bad is this crime? How bad is the robbery? How bad is the vandalism?

I am assuming from what I'm hearing is that this crime activity is more in the gated, "protected" communities than in residential areas? It doesn't make any sense. Aren't the gates there for protection? Doesn't most of the robberies occur in the vacated summer homes?

Thank you very much for your input!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM

307 posts, read 768,725 times
I do not want to offend anyone, which says in itself that I probably will, so I will say I am sorry ahead of time- I'm sorry if I offended you. Most of the people who live in gated communities are "city" people, city people have a lot more crime than locals. ( I come from NY) City people are a bit tougher and more confrontational than the locals- when you lock up all these city people in a gated comunity, then you have to expect the same types and levels of crime in that comunity that you would in the city- So if you live in a gated comunity, you are locking yourself in that "city" enviroment, and keeping the local (who made the enviroment you were looking for in the first place) people out- so that is why gated comunities are sometimes less safe than non gated comunities. If you are coming here to enjoy a calm, quiet , friendly area you need to live in a comunity that has a nice amount of both locals and "city" people, that way you will enjoy the best of both worlds.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 PM

17 posts, read 61,352 times
Thank you very much for your honest post, kinpa. And I'm sure you didn't offend anyone with your tactful manner.

So, is the level of crime in the gated communities the same as NYC or Newark or Brooklyn? My limited research shows the only high statistic is robbery, where something like murder and rape are exceedingly low.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Default City

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpa View Post
I do not want to offend anyone, which says in itself that I probably will, so I will say I am sorry ahead of time- I'm sorry if I offended you. Most of the people who live in gated communities are "city" people, city people have a lot more crime than locals. ( I come from NY) City people are a bit tougher and more confrontational than the locals- when you lock up all these city people in a gated comunity, then you have to expect the same types and levels of crime in that comunity that you would in the city- So if you live in a gated comunity, you are locking yourself in that "city" enviroment, and keeping the local (who made the enviroment you were looking for in the first place) people out- so that is why gated comunities are sometimes less safe than non gated comunities. If you are coming here to enjoy a calm, quiet , friendly area you need to live in a comunity that has a nice amount of both locals and "city" people, that way you will enjoy the best of both worlds.
Kinpa........you have a way with words. That is truely the feeling in such a community. I think possiably that people use to a more urban feel might not do all that bad. If they grew up around this way of living. Me, having come from rural New Jersey........didn't find the comfort zone I was use too.
Nothing had to be occuring..........I was locked into a city, and the peacefulness, quietness, and comfort left. The rural girl had to leave with it.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Quick Story

Did everyone read about the two men who had killed a cop in NYC last week?
A big search was held for them right along Route 80 in the Pocono area.
They were seen on Ramble Bush Rd. ..........Ramble Bush is a street everyone from Penn Est. take to get down onto 611. When you go out its back gate you either go left right away to head down, or go up one more street to Ramble. Well, these two offenders, were spotted walking along Ramble.......which in turn........made for a big, big, police event.
People on that road were warned, door to door. One neighbor there had even helped one of these men before. Awhile back one of the culprits had sunk his car into a ditch, and had to be towed out. The newspaper said, " they had acquaintances in PE" The police lined route 80, every 50 feet...........
They have since been captured, from the woods, and transported back to NYC.
This manhunt was huge. But, it won't go down as a bad mark on that community. It won't be listed at all.........But, when I read "acquaintances in PE," it again is evident that the city has entered the once quiet, charming place. I'm sad about it.......

Old 07-23-2007, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,849 times
Hello everyone. I have another question once agian. I was looking to move into Pa and i have been looking into Effort however The Builders that i am looking into suggested Indian Mountain Lakes community to build in. Can anyone tell me what they think about that community and the school system since i have a young son.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,753 times
Why build?? So many awesome homes, check out the MLS.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Law View Post
Thank you very much for your honest post, kinpa. And I'm sure you didn't offend anyone with your tactful manner.

So, is the level of crime in the gated communities the same as NYC or Newark or Brooklyn? My limited research shows the only high statistic is robbery, where something like murder and rape are exceedingly low.
News today ......came out about noon .......7/23
The story in the Pocono Record, and then lots of interest in the blogging section of that paper. That is a good help also in finding information of the local areas.
The question above is about gated communities.
Todays report.......and the bloggers speak about what is the actual crime going on.......if you go to that area online.
Graffiti,vandals with red spray marked HOMES, mailboxes, and CARS. in P/Est. and one other location.
Some thought it was racial, but another poster felt it was a synonym name for a young gang starting up. Yikes, a bit scarey for sure.
The communities have to work hard to eliminate this type of crime.
Security will have to be more "out there" ......it has to end right now.
It seems to only get worse, not better.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,478 times
Default Renting?

I recently got a job in East Stroudsburg and am looking for any more info any of you can provide me. This seems to be a great thread full of knowledgeable and nice folks.

I am as some people in the thread have mentioned a "city person." But am really looking for a nice place to rent for a year or two until I have a clearer picture of where my career is going.

We are looking for an apartment or house to rent which is a decent deal in a safe community. I have the sites for the various papers and will look there.

Would it be suggested to look at realtors? Do they help find rentals?

Unfortunately, we do not have much time to find a place since I just got this job and need to move within a month, so this is a bit rushed.

How is the Saylorsburg area? There is a house there as well as a few in the Bethlehem area we are looking at.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteurban View Post
I recently got a job in East Stroudsburg and am looking for any more info any of you can provide me. This seems to be a great thread full of knowledgeable and nice folks.

I am as some people in the thread have mentioned a "city person." But am really looking for a nice place to rent for a year or two until I have a clearer picture of where my career is going.

We are looking for an apartment or house to rent which is a decent deal in a safe community. I have the sites for the various papers and will look there.

Would it be suggested to look at realtors? Do they help find rentals?

Unfortunately, we do not have much time to find a place since I just got this job and need to move within a month, so this is a bit rushed.

How is the Saylorsburg area? There is a house there as well as a few in the Bethlehem area we are looking at.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Saylorsburg would be great for you. Easy commute.......Bethlehem will add on another 20 min to 1/2 hour.....If you like city.......Saylorburg wouldn't be however. Bethlehem would be more of a busier feel. More action, more town, etc.
So Saylorsburg, if you don't mind being in a more rural place.......although close enough to ( Wind Gap)Giants, Kmart, Payless, or out to Mr Z's, Shoprite...fast foods of brodheadsville. Easier travel to your work and the things to do in Stroudsburg, Tannersville.....like the outlets, and Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Good Luck in your new job.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania