Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2007, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,323 times

Advertisements

I skimmed threw all the pages, and I`m very happy to only hear good things about Brodheadsville. I will be closing on a house up there by mid September. I love that I`m near the Crossings Outlets, what girl wouldn`t? But I have to admit, I`m comming from NY, and I either get people who are very nice, or some hate me just because I`m from NY. Hey, I didn`t have a choice in where I grew up! lol. But now I`ll be moving with my husband. We`re young, I`m 21, he will be 23. So just wondering how the nightlife is around the area..any suggestions? I love live music & good food.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justine531 View Post
I skimmed threw all the pages, and I`m very happy to only hear good things about Brodheadsville. I will be closing on a house up there by mid September. I love that I`m near the Crossings Outlets, what girl wouldn`t? But I have to admit, I`m comming from NY, and I either get people who are very nice, or some hate me just because I`m from NY. Hey, I didn`t have a choice in where I grew up! lol. But now I`ll be moving with my husband. We`re young, I`m 21, he will be 23. So just wondering how the nightlife is around the area..any suggestions? I love live music & good food.
Justine, I just had great food and lots of different music, at the West End Fair. Right off of 209 and going strong for 89 years! Traffic is horrendous right now though, backed up like never, ever before. You have to get there by 4:20 to avoid that.( try to go next year)
For your age.......the Jukebox in Stroudsburg, or Floods for young socializing.
Hey, I got a few rude remarks for being from NJ also.........but, I just looked beyond the rude person. It looks better to ignor, then to get puffed up about it. I didn't choose to be at all like that person, and she was an adult who should have known better then to act like a smartaleck.
I remember when I moved here that everything closed by 6PM in the Stroudsburg area. You are lucky things have changed in a short time span.
Try to be a good neighbor. People live a more quiet, peaceful, way here.
Then, you should be fine. Lots of NYers have come this way.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 5,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Justine, I just had great food and lots of different music, at the West End Fair. Right off of 209 and going strong for 89 years! Traffic is horrendous right now though, backed up like never, ever before. You have to get there by 4:20 to avoid that.( try to go next year)
For your age.......the Jukebox in Stroudsburg, or Floods for young socializing.
Hey, I got a few rude remarks for being from NJ also.........but, I just looked beyond the rude person. It looks better to ignor, then to get puffed up about it. I didn't choose to be at all like that person, and she was an adult who should have known better then to act like a smartaleck.
I remember when I moved here that everything closed by 6PM in the Stroudsburg area. You are lucky things have changed in a short time span.
Try to be a good neighbor. People live a more quiet, peaceful, way here.
Then, you should be fine. Lots of NYers have come this way.
Thanks so much.
I`m glad the stores stay open a little later!
My husband works nights, so we do things at weird hours.
I deff will miss all the 24 hour convenience here.
Yeah, I just shrug my shoulders and smile when I get the remarks.
People really try to look for any little thing to hate about someone.
Oh well.
I`m quiet & always very polite.
Just hope my tattoos don`t scare my neighbors off. lol.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:11 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Default REPOSTING My Question

Hi, Molly. I'm reposting this in the hopes that you will be able to addrress it. Thanks!

Gated vs. Stand-Alone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I stated in another post, a friend and I will be looking at the Jim Thorpe area (not sure what the surrounding areas are) to look for a small retreat. I will be either renting or selling my home in Wallingford, PA, in order to move in with and care for my aging parents. I'm going to need to take a break now and then. I don't want to go too far from the Philly burbs in case of an emergency, so Carbon County seems to be the closest place.

I'm seeing a lot of these gatred communities on the Internet. They seem a bit too busy to attract me. Is the land being eaten up by these places or can one still find a nice stand-alone house in the area? I like to swim for relaxation. Are the lakes swimmable in the mountains? Any particular area you can point out to me will be visited when we're there this November. THANKS!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM

17 posts, read 64,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbidwell View Post
My husband are looking to retire in the Poconos. We looked at a few communities and the one we liked best so far was Fawn Lake Forest which is near Hawley. Anything you can tell me about the area would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know things like shopping, veterinarians (we have 2 cats and 2 dogs) doctors, dentists, just what the area is like. Also, my husband has a concern about the people. Are they generally friendly? We now live in Northern NJ and have lived on our streed for 11 years and know so few of the neighbors. We are looking for a place that would be pet friendly and also have lots of opportunities to make new friends.

Thanks for any help you can provide. If you like, you can reach me at my email address which is gbidwell@optonline.net. I would enjoy talking to someone who actually lives in the Poconos!

Thanks Molly!

Charlene Bidwell
Fawn Lake is on a twisting, narrow two lane road which will take you to Hawley where you will find, at the intersection of PA rout 590 and US 6 a IGA market with, of course, prices higher than you pay at home. There is another market in town, about four miles, same price story. Ten miles further, Honesdale, most people shop at the Wal-Mart. Think isolation if you choose Fawn Lake. You will be across the road from what was my great grandfather's farm. Fawn Lake was built on his father-in-law's property. I'm writing about the mid 19th century. Little has changed. As far as the people, most of our contacts will be people who moved from the same area you are coming from. I would never choose a development in the Poconos, you will not be escaping North Jersey. Better you should travel to Honesdale, a town of 5000 people and where you might find a reasonably priced Victorian on a tree lined street. About two years past, Honesdale was called a hidden jewel by the Phila. Inquirer. Also, you will be closer to Scranton and with better roads than you will find in Pike County, i.e. that is where Fawn Lake is located. Unless you intend to winter elsewhere you might find, at Fawn Lake, that you are trapped by snow and your phone and electricity have failed. Have you considered the PA Dutch Country? Lebanon, Lancaster or Dauphin counties would be a far, far better choice. Maybe not as many trees but the corn stalks grow 10 feet tall.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justine531 View Post
Thanks so much.
I`m glad the stores stay open a little later!
My husband works nights, so we do things at weird hours.
I deff will miss all the 24 hour convenience here.
Yeah, I just shrug my shoulders and smile when I get the remarks.
People really try to look for any little thing to hate about someone.
Oh well.
I`m quiet & always very polite.
Just hope my tattoos don`t scare my neighbors off. lol.
Justine........Actually the Stroudsburg Walmart I think is open 24 hours, and our grocery stores are too ,except during the weekend.
Believe me when we moved here years ago, the towns closed up about 6PM.
Its great now to have the big box stores around, and you can still do things in the evening hours. The sleepy towns woke up!!!
So then....... We'll know you are finally here by your tatoos......LOL.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM

34 posts, read 123,727 times
Hello Molly,
We are coming to Wilkes-Barre (Kingston) this Friday ! We will be there until Sunday. A short family trip. What is there to do for fun with a 8 year old boy? We have a Chucky Cheese out here. And in MI, there is a Craig's Cruisers. We like going to the movies also. Let me know, I will be be checking every 2 hours.

Thanks Moose

Old 09-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
Hello Molly,
We are coming to Wilkes-Barre (Kingston) this Friday ! We will be there until Sunday. A short family trip. What is there to do for fun with a 8 year old boy? We have a Chucky Cheese out here. And in MI, there is a Craig's Cruisers. We like going to the movies also. Let me know, I will be be checking every 2 hours.

Thanks Moose
Moose this is a good question to ask ScrantonWilkesBarre. Molly, and myself are closer to Stroudsburg and the Tannersville area.
But a few things for you to enjoy that I know of is.........
Country Junction in Wilkes Barre for unusual items, a fun store with lots of
things at great prices for Halloween.Costumes, unusual items, just fun!
Most of the Country Junctions have a large screen showing movies while you have a light lunch.
There are Barnes and Nobles in the Wilkes Barre area.
There is a Chucky Cheese at Dickson City. Up in the same shopping area we talk of often on here. Where there is every store you can think of.
Nay Aug has a wonderful park, and the 8 yr old can climb up into the tree house, and so can you!
There are many movie theaters, thats not a problem.
You may want to see Steamtown, a historic site with real, genuine old trains.
There are some interactive things for children at Steamtown. (Scranton)
I hope this helps...........Have a great trip

Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
M-Y

10 posts, read 30,306 times
Hi MollyMe,

We are thinking about relocating to East Stroudsburg. We need to commute to NYC on Saturday only. My husband needs to commute to Allentown for work a couple of days a week. We were there looking at houses at The Masters of Great Bear and tried to drive from there to NYC around 6pm on Saturday. We ran into traffic jam before we could get on to I-80.

I would like to know about traffic condition and snow condition there. How slippery roads get and how quickly snow gets cleared away from the roads and highways, for example.

Where would be the best place to live? I will be homeschooling my 3 kids, so school is not a concern. But safe neighborhood and road condition in winter are great concern to us.

Thanks,
M-Y

Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 PM

I think there was a problem this weekend. Bridge work or road work by the toll area.
Great Bear should be ok. Country C of the Poconos is having issues with people thinking they own the land their homes are on, and they do not.
They might not even own the footprints! Front pages a few months ago.
All that landscaping they did for themselves and they are not even an owner of the lot. Plus, they were paying taxes on the land. Big mixup.........
Traffic wise, from Great Bear look up River Road it is a shortcut.
There is tons of road work that way though due to the new bypass going in, by Marshalls Creek.
Pa does a good job with snow removal, I've found the state to be just great at it.
You might like Blue Mountain Lake, good community and neighborhood.
Personally, I'd look into home in Cherry Valley. Then you are close to route 80, and close to getting on route 33 to Allentown. It also is a well respected area. Good homes of quality.
Really a NYC trip on the weekend with no commuters, shouldn't be all that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania