Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:58 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,506,715 times

Advertisements

Today in ShopRite I was shocked to see a "Shop Rite" Security Guard. I asked one of the cashiers and she said that "people are stealing food" - very sad state of affairs that people can't even afford the price of food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,110,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHighHat View Post
Today in ShopRite I was shocked to see a "Shop Rite" Security Guard. I asked one of the cashiers and she said that "people are stealing food" - very sad state of affairs that people can't even afford the price of food.
WOW! that is sad! the economy is bad but what can be done to boost it.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,318,886 times
WOW! that is sad and bad all at the same time.......I wonder if they are stealing can food over frozen food or produce over dairy items. What's next security guys at the Dairy Queen's? What happened to our America?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,297,493 times
Security guards in grocery stores are nothing new. Neither is shoplifting. While it may be new to your store, it's hardly uncommon and really has little to do with the present economic state of the nation.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:47 AM

105,674 posts, read 107,628,943 times
people in florida were slitting open big bags of dog food and stuffing meats and expensive groceries in the bag. the bag would always be under the shopping cart so they would just scan in a bag of dog food without lifting it .

noooooooooo dont do it, i know what your thinking.. ha ha ha

Old 03-08-2008, 05:34 AM

620 posts, read 2,047,169 times
I heard somewhere (I know that is not a great source) that Americans spend less on food by percentage of income than any other country in the world. I find that interesting if it's true. It seems like we are spending our money on something else. I think America is being shaken out of an age of frivolous spending and consumerism. Growing pains maybe, but that would be a positive shift if it occurs. So many people spend a lot of money on video games, gadgets, chinese plastic everything, etc.

If things go like I am hoping, this economic crisis will re-ignite a basic sense of what is required for happiness and comfort and all the other grasping at toys and junk will slip away. I could see how a shift like that would also make our relationships with each other stronger as we remember what is really fulfilling in this world.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I heard somewhere (I know that is not a great source) that Americans spend less on food by percentage of income than any other country in the world. I find that interesting if it's true. It seems like we are spending our money on something else. I think America is being shaken out of an age of frivolous spending and consumerism. Growing pains maybe, but that would be a positive shift if it occurs. So many people spend a lot of money on video games, gadgets, chinese plastic everything, etc.

If things go like I am hoping, this economic crisis will re-ignite a basic sense of what is required for happiness and comfort and all the other grasping at toys and junk will slip away. I could see how a shift like that would also make our relationships with each other stronger as we remember what is really fulfilling in this world.

Mike,
I applaud you for your sensible and compassionate post. I happen to agree with you. I think people's priorities are out of balance. It's who has the biggest house, the nicest car, etc, forgetting what the real value of happiness is. When was the last time people shut off their computers and TV and spent time with family and friends- talking or just playing a board game. How about reading a book. So many people do not even read.

Growing pains absolutely. Unfortunately, sometimes you need a crisis to re-define what is life is all about.

Hat

Old 03-08-2008, 08:11 AM

wait isnt it the one who dies with the most toys wins?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 AM

When your dead the toys do not matter, they are just things.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 AM

my toys are going with me ha ha ha.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania