U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:08 PM

31,441 posts, read 70,548,515 times

Advertisements

Well, I've just spent the better part of two hours now poring over this forum, and I realize that at least HALF the messages on here have been in regards to people looking at relocating to Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, or the Poconos. I'm only 19, but I've been doing a LOT of research with local real estate, demographics, etc. as I intend on "flipping" real estate in Scranton in the not-so-distant future. Feel free to ask me anything on THIS thread about the region instead of clogging the board with 100 other threads that all say "What are the Poconos like?" or "Are the schools good in W-B/Scranton?" I figure this will be a good way to put prospective newcomers in direct contact with a "local yokel!" I've already helped a man and his fiancee relocate from NYC to Pittston, in the Scranton 'burbs, last year, so I have a bit of experience with local issues. Keep the questions coming!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 01:58 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,305,885 times
We are also thinking of Flipping up in the Wayne County area. I know there are alot of fixer uppers and there may be lots of potential there!

Old 07-19-2006, 02:14 PM

Wayne County is a gold mine for rural investment properties. The county (with the exception of the extreme southern portion in the Lake Ariel/Gouldsboro area) is situated too far from Scranton, Binghamton, and NJ/NYC to make it sprawl-threatened. I foresee the county becoming a future retirement haven---The three main towns of Waymart, Hawley, and Honesdale are all very charming, laid-back, and have enough "mom-and-pop" conveniences to make frequent trips to Scranton for shopping quite unnecessary. I don't see any "flipping" at all up there yet, so you may just be very lucrative pioneers in the market of purchasing and renovating rustic homes on a few acres of land and marketing them to retirees in NY, NJ, and Scranton who have no need to commute. I, on the other hand, am going to focus on my flipping in Scranton because I'm a city guy who can't live without having everything within a ten-minute drive. Best of luck to you both---You'll love the Honesdale area! Lake Wallenpaupack is also very scenic, but it is a bit more sprawl-threatened as it straddles the Wayne/Pike County border and is a bit more convenient to the Southern Poconos/NJ for commuting.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Since I see more random posts about Northeastern Pennsylvania popping up again left and right, I'm going to give myself a BUMP! LOL!

Old 07-24-2006, 08:24 AM

Hi Scranton,
you must love the show Flip this House!! We watch it alot!
Can't wait to get there and start
Maybe we can be business partners

Old 07-24-2006, 08:33 AM

Good morning Bamboo! Yes, I LOVE "Flip This House", along with "Property Ladder" at 8 PM on Saturdays on TLC. Property Ladder is more of an "amateur" attempt at flipping without having the entire fleet of contractors, marketing agents, drama, etc. that Flip This House usually shows. As far as business partners are concerned, I probably won't start flipping until my mid-20s, when I'm established in my career. I plan on living dirt cheap in Scranton and commuting to NJ or NY everyday with my good 'ole Ford for work as a CPA, where I'll pocket as much of my $60,000 salary as I can to fully pay off starter homes, renovate them, then flip 'em for a tidy profit (which will be put towards my next home). I'm just hoping that the Scranton area housing bubble isn't RED HOT by then---Property values in Lackawanna County have risen sharply in the past ten years the way it is (Our own home has appreciated nearly $75,000 with minimal renovations!)

Old 07-27-2006, 12:26 PM

ScrantonWilkesBarre,
Good for you!!! You will have a hike to the city and being a CPA you will be working long hours. My brother-in-law owns his own firm in Downtown NYC.
He sometimes doesn't come home until 9 pm. They live in Jersey.
We won't be flipping for a while either. We need to get there first and get settled in our own home. We were even think of buying in N.C. but I think PA
is our first choice because of family.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,233 times
Hey, does anyone know of a good motel/hotel in the Archbald/Scranton area that is nice, clean and not too expensive? Thanks

Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM

There's a Days Inn on the Scranton/Carbondale Highway (Business Route 6) just outside of Archbald. There is also a Residence Inn by Marriott in Dickson City near the Viewmont Mall. Granted, there is a much wider array of hotels/motels to choose from in Scranton, but I was trying to gear you moreso towards the Mid-Valley region, since you mentioned Archbald specifically.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 42,919 times
Been flippinh houses in Scranton/Lackawanna county and Wayne county for over three years now. I have been in real estate for more than ten years and I am also a mortgage broker. Any help that I can offer anyone, I will do my best. It can be a great business or hobby, for us, my husband and I, it is abusiness as this is all we do, real estate and mortgages. BUT it can also be a disater as well if you are not careful. Always remember this

RULE OF CAVEAT EMPTOR, OR LET THE BUYER BEWARE

They saying in Real Estate foes like this...Buyers are liars....in flipping.....Sellers are bigger liars!!!!!!

Do ALL of your homework!!!! And don't ry to get the cliff notes edition of the research. It's all or nothing in this business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania