Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,605,569 times

Advertisements

Smile: W-B cameras set Nov. 1 | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Smile__W-B_cameras_set_Nov__1_10-15-2009.html - broken link)

No one is bothered by this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:34 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,117,880 times
It dont bother me at all ...

Cant see em from my house

Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,570,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
Smile: W-B cameras set Nov. 1 | Wilkes-Barre News | The Times Leader (http://www.timesleader.com/news/Smile__W-B_cameras_set_Nov__1_10-15-2009.html - broken link)

No one is bothered by this??
Unless you're planning on doing something unlawful, I don't see a reason to be bothered by it. People complain about the crime and not enough cops on the street. This is a way to have more eyes out there. I fully support it!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,177,594 times
I am bothered by it. It's a waste of money, it won't work, it's another example of Big Brother...yuk. HATE IT.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM

Oh and having more cops on the street would actually WORK. These cameras will NOT.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,760,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh and having more cops on the street would actually WORK. These cameras will NOT.
I agree. More police presence will do a lot more to fight crime than cameras. Especially if Wilkes-Barre does like Chris Doherty did in Scranton, paid lots of money for cameras, and last I've heard, they aren't even operational. Not once yet in the few years since the cameras were installed have I heard of a crime solved by them.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,252,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree. More police presence will do a lot more to fight crime than cameras. Especially if Wilkes-Barre does like Chris Doherty did in Scranton, paid lots of money for cameras, and last I've heard, they aren't even operational. Not once yet in the few years since the cameras were installed have I heard of a crime solved by them.
Wilkes-Barre's camera's will be paid for using our share of the gambling procedes. I say give it a try, especially since it is not us that is paying for it. Wilkes-Barre's biggest impedement is violent crime. Our city has the worst reputation in the entire region, and the worse violent crime problem. People are afraid to even visit our city because of this. The crime situation has a devastating effect all the way around from everything from buisnesses not wanting to relocate to Wilkes-Barre, to people not wanting to move here, to tourist and visitors not wanting to visit, to students choosing not to attend college here to just about everything. The crime and the bad reputation that goes along with it is literally killing our city. The only people that should be bothered by these camera's are the criminals. Unlike Scranton or other towns, our camera's will be monitored by the police department itself, and unlike Scranton (Wilkes-Barre also currently has these stationary cameras downtown), these camera's will not just be stationary, but will be able to be remote controlled, and able to zoom in and out. Of course if there is only a stationary camera and everyone can see it and which direction it is pointing in, then it is virtually useless, but this will be different. By the way Mayor tom Leighton has already done an excellent job beefing up the police dept. I belive we have more officers now then ever before in the city's long history. So it's not like he is choosing camera's over police officers, he's doing both. The only issue I would be totally against is if they try to use these camera's to catch traffic violations (to make money) that is not what these camera's are intended for and they better not be secretly planning to use them in this manner!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,252,101 times
The city should put all of these camera's inside The Luzerne County Courthouse! That's where all the criminals are anyways!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,570,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
The city should put all of these camera's inside The Luzerne County Courthouse! That's where all the criminals are anyways!
LOL great idea!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Wilkes-Barre's camera's will be paid for using our share of the gambling procedes. I say give it a try, especially since it is not us that is paying for it. Wilkes-Barre's biggest impedement is violent crime. Our city has the worst reputation in the entire region, and the worse violent crime problem. People are afraid to even visit our city because of this. The crime situation has a devastating effect all the way around from everything from buisnesses not wanting to relocate to Wilkes-Barre, to people not wanting to move here, to tourist and visitors not wanting to visit, to students choosing not to attend college here to just about everything. The crime and the bad reputation that goes along with it is literally killing our city. The only people that should be bothered by these camera's are the criminals. Unlike Scranton or other towns, our camera's will be monitored by the police department itself, and unlike Scranton (Wilkes-Barre also currently has these stationary cameras downtown), these camera's will not just be stationary, but will be able to be remote controlled, and able to zoom in and out. Of course if there is only a stationary camera and everyone can see it and which direction it is pointing in, then it is virtually useless, but this will be different. By the way Mayor tom Leighton has already done an excellent job beefing up the police dept. I belive we have more officers now then ever before in the city's long history. So it's not like he is choosing camera's over police officers, he's doing both. The only issue I would be totally against is if they try to use these camera's to catch traffic violations (to make money) that is not what these camera's are intended for and they better not be secretly planning to use them in this manner!

But these cameras have been shown to be a huge waste of money - they do not curb crime. That is why I have such a big problem with them.

And LOL about the courthouse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania