Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 16,859 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am looking for a Single Family House for Sale in the Dupont/Avoca/Duryea, PA area in good shape. 3-4 bedrooms, 1 bath (2 preferred), Gas Heat preferred (but will consider other), Laundry on first floor, extra room on first floor (Family Room, Office, Den) needed. Nothing in trailer park or near the River please. Looking to buy now. Please email me with any properties or listings if you have or know of any. Thank you so much! email: Lippy1@netzero.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM

22 posts, read 96,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippy1 View Post
Hi there,

I am looking for a Single Family House for Sale in the Dupont/Avoca/Duryea, PA area in good shape. 3-4 bedrooms, 1 bath (2 preferred), Gas Heat preferred (but will consider other), Laundry on first floor, extra room on first floor (Family Room, Office, Den) needed. Nothing in trailer park or near the River please. Looking to buy now. Please email me with any properties or listings if you have or know of any. Thank you so much! email: Lippy1@netzero.net

Why don't you contact a broker Lippy? I can recommend a good broker and real estate agent in the area, if you would like?

### On to a separate issue:

Is it better to live in Avoca or Duryea, if you would rather be closer to Scranton than the Wilkes Barre area? Also, are they any nice gyms/fitness centers in the Avoca/Duryea areas? Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 34,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport225 View Post

Is it better to live in Avoca or Duryea, if you would rather be closer to Scranton than the Wilkes Barre area? Also, are they any nice gyms/fitness centers in the Avoca/Duryea areas? Thanks!
I would think Avoca/Duryea area would be good if you want to be close to both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. Otherwise, you're better off moving closer to which ever city you want to be nearer to. To me, Avoca and Duryea look a little on the depressing side...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I live in a part of Pittston Township just uphill from Dupont that is just about equidistant to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. I don't think Avoca is "depressing" at all. On the contrary when I go on my runs along Main Street the sidewalks are brimming with people en route to the barber shop, bank, post office, bakery, pizzeria, etc. There are indeed a lot of burned-out homes and businesses lining the streets in town (one more just lead to the death of a well-known elderly woman), but I blame this more so upon uneducated borough zoning and/or code enforcement officials than the towns' residents themselves. I find Avocans to be very cordial and friendly; I know dozens of them through social networking.

Dupont is indeed a very, very depressing, dreary-looking town. There has been a major business boom here over the past year with a pool hall/I-cafe, diner, restaurant, law office, custom t-shirt store, and various other commercial enterprises springing up along Main Street, but the majority of the buildings are run-down and unkempt, overhead utility lines are commonplace, and shade trees are very rare. Dupont seriously looks like a poverty-infested slum, but just as with Avoca the people are worth their weight in gold. I worry that continued sprawl in adjacent Pittston Township, including a new upcoming mall, will spell disaster for some of the remaining businesses in Dupont.

Duryea is mixed. Its downtown has been depressing for years, but it has started to rebound. The massive and upscale Blueberry Hill Estates and an adjacent brand-spanking new gated townhome community are bringing hundreds of new families onto the tax rolls. While Dupont is predominantly Polish-American and Avoca is primarily Irish-American, Duryea is more of a "mutt" town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania