Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:32 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times

Advertisements

[quote]The elderly woman across the street from me never had any visitors: a quiet, unassuming little sweetheart who lost her live-in daughter and was living on her own. One day she asked me to call one of her sons (she has FOUR, I discovered!!!!!) because she could not operate the stove. I was stunned to see what a wreck the house was in. And I was furious. I called the geographically closest son for her and blasted his head off (can't help it; just ballsy that way). Sorry...NO EXCUSE for that type of abandonment. It astounds me how the elderly are so often neglected by their children.[quote] Soulsurv

It is really sad that there are so many children who do ignore the needs of their aged parents.
Can you imagine, four sons and not one visited their mother each week to check on her?
There just is nothing of more worth then the love of ones parents. They have to fit into your family life, your work life, and your very important schedules. Because it matters.......and because it is the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 12:02 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,000,613 times
Maybe a copy the children's book I Will Love You Forever by Robert Munsch would make your point.

There's a reading of it on YouTube if anyone is interested.

I have trouble reading it. Makes me cry.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Maybe a copy the children's book I Will Love You Forever by Robert Munsch would make your point.

I am going to look for that right now...............Thanks......
Oh maybe I can't cry just yet..........the eye surgery just was finished...

Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,513,918 times
I am a CNA and have worked at skilled Nursing and Rebabilation facilities for over 30 years. One thing I have to get off my chest.....nursing personnel take care of 10 to 20 patients, far "worse", at a time. So please be nice to Nurses and patients. Families will blame Nurses for all their loved ones' problems.

The other posters are correct...this lady is more LONELY than anything; have you actually seen her husband? You would not believe the stories people fabricate just to have a little of your time. Believe me, I know!

I would pay them a visit...bring a meal for them, talk a bit and be firm about leaving. Explain you are not available, without notice, to run errands etc. Set up a time(weekly, monthly) to play cards or share a meal. This is probably all she wants....and would explain the non-emergencies that she draws you into.

Remember we are all getting older. Also, as others said...look into a senior agency to help her(them?). From what I gather...she is not ready for a facility....that really can "finish off" many people. The neck brace sounds suspicious also??

Do not let her manipulate you.....take control, set up a schedule, and stick to it. PLEASE do not abandon her...she is pleading for help in her own way. By all means call her daughter...she should be made aware...but from my experience...the daughter will commit her and then blame "me"(nurses) for all their troubles...I've seen it over and over.

Good luck and God Bless! And HUG a Nurse today! Think about it!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,348,644 times
She may be lonely and need some help with her husband ... look to these site for possible answers.

Meals on Wheels - Wilkes Barre, PA

Community Counseling Services of Nepa | Community Counseling Services of Nepa in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Old 11-17-2009, 04:59 PM

208 posts, read 650,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post

Love You Forever is a book I read to my son as soon as he was born and it was one of our nightly favorites for many years. In fact, if I had to work and my husband or other family member watched him, he wouldn't let them read that book to him because "it's mine and mommy's special book." He's almost 20 now and we still use the song verse from time to time when writing to each other. I hope someday to pass it on to a daughter-in-law (hopefully years down the road ) if she has a son. I give it often as a baby gift when I know they are having or have had a boy. There are so many mother/daughter and father/son books out there but this finally addresses a mother and her son. Love, love, love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania