Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 04:10 PM

40 posts, read 119,252 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a house in Wilkes barre on Amherst ave not too far from Wilkes university. The street seems quiet and the neighbors are nice I met. I guess my ? Is what part of WB is that street on? How is that area as far as crime goes and child friendly or not? Lastly how much are rents going for per 1 bedroom apts? My place is a newly remodeled 4 bed 2bath.
Thanks alot guys in advance. Appreciate whatever info you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,272,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by versaron View Post
I'm buying a house in Wilkes barre on Amherst ave not too far from Wilkes university. The street seems quiet and the neighbors are nice I met. I guess my ? Is what part of WB is that street on? How is that area as far as crime goes and child friendly or not? Lastly how much are rents going for per 1 bedroom apts? My place is a newly remodeled 4 bed 2bath.
Thanks alot guys in advance. Appreciate whatever info you may have.
Amherst Ave is in south Wilkes-Barre. Alot of south Wilkes-barre is sketchy, but Amherst Ave is in a good section close to Kistler and Barney farms. I don't see why you would have a problem there. I would imagine it would be a typical child friendly neighborhood, and rentals? I'm just ball park guessing, but a 4 bedroom two bathroom in south Wilkes-Barre in decent condition...I say between $750-$1100 per month maybe a little higher if it's in very good condition? I am just guessing though. I'd ask a realitor more about that.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Amherst Avenue is in South Wilkes-Barre. Like WBP says parts of S. WB can be a little...well, sketchy. Not dangerous per say. Amherst Ave and that entire section (Marlborough Ave, Old River Road, Elizabeth St., Birch St., Maffett St., and Catlin Ave.) is still considered a very nice area in which to live. I have several upper middle class friends that live in the area out of their choosing to do so. It is a family friendly area with a smattering of elderly people. It's a "quaint" neighborhood where many people know each other.

If I bought a house, I would consider this neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:39 AM

40 posts, read 119,252 times
Thanks alot guys. Happy I made the right decision then.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 AM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
I live a few streets over from there actually. My cousin used to live on the ranch style home near the end of the street and he loved it also. He only moved to be closer to his job. South W-B can be kinda shady in a lot of places but that street is relatively quiet and you should have no problems there.

Hope it all works out well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania