Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:33 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinajean View Post
You were one of the few lucky ones with Shorten. It took you 2 weeks for you. It took 2 MONTHS for us (ordered beginning of July, had it put on foundation middle of September). It's December and we're still waiting for them to come finish it. Very poor service. Everytime we call, we get different answers. They tell us parts are in, waiting for them to deliver and set them up. No one comes, call again and told parts aren't in. Don't know how they managed to stay in business for as long as they did. Ready to file a complaint with Better Business Bureau.

I'd consider myself FAR from lucky with my Shorten experience. The reason why they built our home in 2 weeks was due to months of delay in simply getting a correct invoice for our mortgage company.
The reason why we did so much work ourselves was partly to save money...but we also realized it would NEVER get done if we waited for Shorten to come around. We were dealing with a character named Buzz, I had heard he wasn't there anymore and that things improved, but I guess not from what you are saying. Yes...getting a return phone call was horrible. When it is all over, you tend to forget...but you are bringing back some horrible memories. I am very happy with my house, and thankfully aside from the plumber and electrician that we used from them, there wasn't much for them to return to do. There werea few minor thnigs, but I wouldn't let them go and YES, I did have to make a bazillion phone calls to get things resolved. Some things we gave up on and fixed ourselves or just learned to live with.
The only reason why I would deal with them again is to save money by being our own subcontractor. It probably save close to $100,000. The thought of going through that again is downright scary though! I hope when ahd IF my house sells, I find one that's already built to suit our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:40 PM

16 posts, read 48,397 times
Pleasant Valley homes are very nice and some feature spectacular master baths and kitchens. Thet are also very flexible with customizing the homes to suit your needs. D&D homes in Lake Ariel deals exclusively with Pleasant Valley and have some models that you can tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
My husband and I are looking into modular homes in NEPA and have narrowed our choices down to 3 companies: Signature Homes built in Moosic, Simplex Homes built in Scranton, and Pleasant Valley Homes built in Pine Grove, PA. We've visited Signature and Simplex, and will be visiting Pleasant Valley next Saturday.

My question: Does anyone own one of these homes, or know anyone who does? If so, do you have any insight to share - and do you have any recommendations as to contractors/dealers? Would love to hear some first hand accounts or info.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM

Yes, pleasant Valley homes are beautiful, and about the same price as a stick built. They are gorgeous, D & D does a beautiful job in a very short amount of time. There again though...putting up with Shorten and doing a lot of our own work probably saved us over $80,000. That's a big chunk of money.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderforthepeople View Post
Hi,
Just passing on info fyi about manufactured homes - they do not have to be built to the same standards as a stick built home. "Manufactured/Industrialized Housing (Mobile Homes and Modulars) have been completely exempted from the PA UCC code compliance particularly when they come directly from the factory." The code applies to site preperation, foundation construction, utilities connection, installation. Also applies to construction, alteration or repair to the industrialized housing after installation, if resold or if relocated. The code does not apply at factory! When building stick-built, the code applies for every single step of construction.

good luck!
Only Manufactured homes aka mobile homes are built to HUD codes and not local codes. Modular homes are built to local code and meet the same requirements as a site built home.

Ritz-Craft makes high end Manufactured homes and Modular homes. I don't think I have heard anything bad about them.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM

253 posts, read 997,063 times
Default D & D?

Can someone PM me with information about D & D? I only found reference to them in association with ReMax realtors, and would be interested in hearing where they're located, and contacting them.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagldot View Post
Can someone PM me with information about D & D? I only found reference to them in association with ReMax realtors, and would be interested in hearing where they're located, and contacting them.

Thanks!
Their model home sits right in the parking lot of Remax Best. If you contact them, I'm sure they can give you all the information you need. The model is gorgeous, they do a great job. They have been popping up in The Hideout for a few years now, all over the place.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 AM

82 posts, read 317,792 times
hmm.... I always believed that both Manufactured and Modular homes are built
to BOCA due to being transported

Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderforthepeople View Post
Hi,
Just passing on info fyi about manufactured homes - they do not have to be built to the same standards as a stick built home. "Manufactured/Industrialized Housing (Mobile Homes and Modulars) have been completely exempted from the PA UCC code compliance particularly when they come directly from the factory." The code applies to site preperation, foundation construction, utilities connection, installation. Also applies to construction, alteration or repair to the industrialized housing after installation, if resold or if relocated. The code does not apply at factory! When building stick-built, the code applies for every single step of construction.

good luck!
Good information in the above post.

Manufactured (doublewide, singlewide, triplewides) are built according to HUD code, and are "vehicles" when they are delivered to your lot, and each carries a motor vehicle title. There's a metal plate at the corner of each section, and there should be a sticker on the wall stating building specs. The HUD code/seal specifies which 3rd party company did the final inspection. A doublewide (usually) has a steel frame carriage, is delivered to the lot, and put together by a contractor. This is a very important step. I've seen some where there's a ridge right through the middle of the house, where the marriage wall has not been matched properly. Upon placement on a permanent foundation, the county comes out to the home, inspects the foundation, the motor vehicle title is surrendered, and a letter is issued by the county stating the property will now be taxed as real estate, and is no longer a motor vehicle.

Manufactured (modulars) must meet a different building code. In our state, it's BOCA. A modular does not fall into the motor vehicle category; it does not have a steel frame carriage, nor HUD seals/tags. In our state, the county is responsible for monitoring the building code, in stages. And, as was said, various companies carry various qualities of construction.

It's so important to know the difference between these two types of homes. I've seen a few disappointed people thinking they bought a modular, when they really bought a doublewide manufactured home. If you're in the market for one of these homes, it's crucial that one knows the difference between these 2 types of homes. There's a different lending criteria, when you have a doublewide, singlewide, or triplewide manufactured home. Think ahead, as in "refinancing".

Old 12-09-2007, 12:00 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,850 times
Default modular builders

Can anyone give me the name of a reputable builder in pa. We are in the process of looking at modular's also and have been to both Shorten homes and D & D. D & D are a little too pricey and thought we might be better off to choose a different builder. If we go with shorten than we still need to find someone to do the foundation. I would appreciate any information anyone can give us.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Can anyone give me the name of a reputable builder in pa. We are in the process of looking at modular's also and have been to both Shorten homes and D & D. D & D are a little too pricey and thought we might be better off to choose a different builder. If we go with shorten than we still need to find someone to do the foundation. I would appreciate any information anyone can give us.
If you have looked at D&D in Lake Ariel, I'm assuming you are in that area. I would highly recommend Sam Wilmot to do your foundation if you go with Shorten. I used him and he was not only really knowledgeable, he was a pleasure to do business with. He put my windows in and came back after the house was delivered and did a stone driveway, lined up the boulders on the property and leveled off all the dirt as well as pour the concrete in the basement.
As far as builder...there are so many, it would depend on the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania