Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've never heard of the Woolworth Mansion. Where is that at?
IN WILKES-BARRE.....NOW PART OF WILKES CAMPUS!!! .

NNY Genealogy | Frederick Jacob Weckesser . I found it...don't I win something; like in the guess the poster contest...LOL. The Kirby Mansion..I may have the wrong mansion....DANG!!!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 12-05-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
I've never heard of the Woolworth Mansion. Where is that at?
It's right next to the old CYC on Jefferson Ave just off Vine St. It's a gorgeous building- has always been my favorite. Woolworth's 5 & 10 was started in Scranton. Mr. Woolworth had a store previously that was Woolworth's 5 cent store down in the Harrisburg area. Then he opened a 5 & 10 in Scranton and soon expanded after that.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Come one, come all and post what you like (or even love) about Scranton!

I'll go first. I love taking the kids up to the Steamtown Train Museum. They absolutely love seeing the trains in motion. I think the museum itself is very interesting and well put together.

Your turn!

In the spirit of the OP, let's keep this thread positive. Negative posters can start their own thread or latch on to one of the many other what's-wrong-with-Scranton threads.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
It's right next to the old CYC on Jefferson Ave just off Vine St. It's a gorgeous building- has always been my favorite. Woolworth's 5 & 10 was started in Scranton. Mr. Woolworth had a store previously that was Woolworth's 5 cent store down in the Harrisburg area. Then he opened a 5 & 10 in Scranton and soon expanded after that.

I will check that out. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:08 AM

904 posts, read 2,054,506 times
Here goes..

1. Amazing huge old houses at *low* prices
2. NYC and Philly accessible in around 2 hours
3. Some nice architecture
4. Hyde Park, a walkable neighborhood 10 minutes from downtown and the Martz
5. Some nice shops, restaurants, bars in our neighborhood and downtown
6. Low crime rates
7. The mountains that frame the Lackawanna/Wyoming Valley
8. Steamtown NHS
9. Our pre-school

Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 PM

19 posts, read 31,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
In the spirit of the OP, let's keep this thread positive. Negative posters can start their own thread or latch on to one of the many other what's-wrong-with-Scranton threads.
Ok ..duh..It's all candycanes and lollipops in scran-toon... It's much better now that hillary doesn't come around much anymore..That was positive about scran-toon, but negative about hillary. Do I still qualify to be in the 'head in the sand' club?

Old 12-06-2009, 04:06 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
No but you're doing a good job of qualifying as an idiot.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:25 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Allergy View Post
Ok ..duh..It's all candycanes and lollipops in scran-toon... It's much better now that hillary doesn't come around much anymore..That was positive about scran-toon, but negative about hillary. Do I still qualify to be in the 'head in the sand' club?
We've already established the fact that 95% of the people living in Scranton hate it, so why can't the 5% have just ONE thread without the "Doomers" infecting it? Don't make me start ANOTHER Scranton thread!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Allergy View Post

Then start your own thread to bash Scranton. Or find one of the many already started.

I don't understand this incessant need to turn anything even the least bit positive into something bad or negative.

Seriously, what gives?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Come one, come all and post what you like (or even love) about Scranton!

I'll go first. I love taking the kids up to the Steamtown Train Museum. They absolutely love seeing the trains in motion. I think the museum itself is very interesting and well put together.

Your turn!

Back! Go back to the good stuff, ignore the negative!!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania