Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 12:27 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times

Advertisements

I'm spending an irordinate amount of time cruising these boards lately, as I am homebound with my sick, elderly Mother. Very preoccupied with where I am going to semi-retire in the future. I hate my county (delaware county in SE PA) which is full of the most grotesque sprawl and has been overdeveloped to the point of obscenity

I have never really explored PA, though I've lived here all my life. Always spent my vacations in Jersey in Cape May (and the British Isles twice). I've read some of your suggestions about "small town PA" back in 07, but I'm sure much has changed since then. For instance I've checked out Oley on the net, only to discover a plethora of new, uninspiring housing developments

While most folks are looking for family-friendly towns with good schools, I want to live in a more rural place with a slow pace, low-humidity summers and REAL winters with moderate snow. I am comfortable in close-to-freezing temperatures, and enjoy spring and fall as well. My only two must haves (with the exception of quiet) are a hospital within a half-hour and the ocean within two hours.

Are there still any out-of-the way places left in the North East or Central East part of our state that has that special small-town, rural feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
I was going to say northern Wayne County but I think it's further away from the ocean than 2 hours....

Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Within 2 hours of the ocean in PA = NE corridor or fringe development. If Oley is too sprawling for you, I honestly don't think you'll be able to escape with that criterion. Another couple of hours from the shore would put you into such places as Danville, home of Geisinger Health System | Home

Unless the Lake Erie shoreline counts - which it would for me, the Great Lakes offer the shoreline without the stink, the sharks, and the boardwalk, all of which I live very nicely without.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,007,134 times
also no salt or jelly fish either and a nice gentle surf

Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Within 2 hours of the ocean in PA = NE corridor or fringe development. If Oley is too sprawling for you, I honestly don't think you'll be able to escape with that criterion. Another couple of hours from the shore would put you into such places as Danville, home of Geisinger Health System | Home

Unless the Lake Erie shoreline counts - which it would for me, the Great Lakes offer the shoreline without the stink, the sharks, and the boardwalk, all of which I live very nicely without.
What?? You don't like SHARKS?? actually, last summer my niece and I were in Cape May and had drifted out quite a bit when I saw that we were within a few yards of a bunch of fins Turned out to be dolphins. I really, really love the ocean; unfortunately Jersey is just too all-around expensive what with the taxes, auto and health insurance. Also, I'll probably continue to part-time teach in PA

Soooo...not quite sure what you mean by fringe development; what area do you mean exactly?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:11 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
You need the area from 209 Brodheadsville thru to Jim Thorpe. Here you will find the open lands and no track homes. Rural. Pocono Medical Center is about a half hours from Brodheadsville. As you travel down to Lehighton there is the Palmerton Hospital and a Hospital in Lehighton.
From that area you hope onto the Turnpike and travel south if you catch 55 out of Philly you can get to the shore very fast. Wildwood, Cape May.........
If you continue on you can get to DE beaches easy enough.
It would be between 2 to 2 1/2 hours to the NJ beaches a bit longer to DE., but not all that far.
You'll have real winters and you can go river rafting in the summers....stay cool!
Or there is the State Parks to swim and boat at.
So for all the reasons you have suggested you want..........I'd drive the 209 highway from one end to the other and around Lehighton, and around Jim Thorpe. One of these places should be a good fit for you.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:13 PM

Summering, you are ACES!!!! Thank you so much! I see that you are in NE PA. What town has captured your heart?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Default Stroudsburgs?

How about the Stroudsburg area for peaceful scenery and rural areas? I know that E. Stroudsburg is a college town...but how about Stroudsburg proper? Homes seem somewhat affordable, and I was wondering if anyone has any input regarding quality of life. Thanks

Old 12-14-2009, 10:31 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
You need the area from 209 Brodheadsville thru to Jim Thorpe. Here you will find the open lands and no track homes. Rural. Pocono Medical Center is about a half hours from Brodheadsville. As you travel down to Lehighton there is the Palmerton Hospital and a Hospital in Lehighton.
From that area you hope onto the Turnpike and travel south if you catch 55 out of Philly you can get to the shore very fast. Wildwood, Cape May.........
If you continue on you can get to DE beaches easy enough.
It would be between 2 to 2 1/2 hours to the NJ beaches a bit longer to DE., but not all that far.
You'll have real winters and you can go river rafting in the summers....stay cool!
Or there is the State Parks to swim and boat at.
So for all the reasons you have suggested you want..........I'd drive the 209 highway from one end to the other and around Lehighton, and around Jim Thorpe. One of these places should be a good fit for you.
Great idea. I also like the area going towards Blue Mountain. Pretty houses, quiet area.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Summering, you are ACES!!!! Thank you so much! I see that you are in NE PA. What town has captured your heart?
The town that captured my heart is Brodheadsville.......
Because it has just the most beautiful rural area and a good location.
I like that I can be in the city for shows quickly. I love that our library is huge and inviting........We have two great grocery stores and another in Wind Gap.
All kinds of fast foods and pizza for those busy days. Its great to be able to take 33 to Easton and the Regal Theaters, Sams, Walmart, Wegmans, Target and the like. Palmer Mall is fun with Boscovs and Bon Tons.......
But, someone wanting a hospital a bit closer could choose Palmerton, which has a nice small hospital and cute town. Also, Lehighton has a hospital and some very nice areas too.
Its such a matter of personal choice. Taxes in Carbon would be less, so thats a good thing.
I'm so happy that Country Junction will open in the Spring. But, from the Lehighton area your not all that far from the Whitehall shopping area and lots of action.
All those areas along 209 are peaceful........Which feels wonderful to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania