Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 10,553 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I found Keen Lake's website while searching for camping sites in the Pocono's. My husband and I are looking for a seasonal site (for a trailer) for next season (the 2008 season). We have previously camped in the Catskills but with a new baby, it is just too far of a trip. We are looking for a campsite that will become our family summer spot for many years to come. I was wondering if anyone out there is a seasonal camper at Keen Lake and can give us some inside information on the place. Like, what are the best sites or areas, what sites we should avoid, are there any weird rules or regulations? We are looking for a goodsized spot with some privacy. We want it to be family-friendly (which is most certainly sounds like), but at the same time, we also want it to be adult-friendly too - we love sitting around the campfire late at night, after the kids are in bed, and throwing back a few with our fellow campers

Thank you so much,
Libby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 12:37 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Libby
We camp in the Poconos at 4 Seasons campground, scotrun. Its a small family campground ; some kids, not lots, some adults. There is a pool that warms up by august!!, but my kids love it. This is our 4th year there seasonally. Its a 2 1/2 hour drive door to door from our home in Long island.They are open from april to October and you can leave your camper there all year.

dorothy

Old 05-18-2007, 03:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Being an ex-camper, I have learned one thing about campgrounds...seeing is beleiving. Campers are the type of people whose opinion of a nice camp site varies. I have been to Keen Lake, it looked nice to me, but I was visiting a camper for the day. I would take a day trip and check it out, especially if you are looking into a permanent site.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM

3 posts, read 17,332 times
? ???????????????????????????????????/

Old 05-18-2007, 05:25 PM

176 posts, read 650,676 times
Default Keen Lake

Libby, We live only 1 1/2 miles from Keen Lake but we are seasonal campers at Countryside Family Campground, about 8 miles from Keen Lake near Honesdale. Countryside is only half the price of Keen's, though Keen's offers more activities and amenities. If you want organized activities (the ceramics program is supposed to be very good) then Keen's is a good choice. On the other hand, township roads run through it, so you have more traffic. It's much larger ( I think 300 sites vs 60) so activities, the pool, etc will always be more crowded. If you check out some online campground review sites, you'll also see frequent complaints that the 'seasonals' act like they own the place.
Countryside has a heated pool and on weekdays the place is fairly empty, so some times we have the pool to ourselves Also nearby is Ponderosa Pines, which might be a compromise choice between the two. It's a little larger than Countryside but has a small lake with fishing, boating, etc but is not as large or crowded as Keens.
You might want to book a weekend at Keens or any other campground you're considering to get a better feel than a website or brochure will give you.
Camping is fun and a great experience for the family. Good luck and enjoy wherever you go!

Old 06-26-2007, 11:21 PM

59 posts, read 272,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyxyz View Post
Hello!
I found Keen Lake's website while searching for camping sites in the Pocono's. My husband and I are looking for a seasonal site (for a trailer) for next season (the 2008 season). We have previously camped in the Catskills but with a new baby, it is just too far of a trip. We are looking for a campsite that will become our family summer spot for many years to come. I was wondering if anyone out there is a seasonal camper at Keen Lake and can give us some inside information on the place. Like, what are the best sites or areas, what sites we should avoid, are there any weird rules or regulations? We are looking for a goodsized spot with some privacy. We want it to be family-friendly (which is most certainly sounds like), but at the same time, we also want it to be adult-friendly too - we love sitting around the campfire late at night, after the kids are in bed, and throwing back a few with our fellow campers

Thank you so much,
Libby

I am not a camper, but live only 10 minutes from Keen Lake. I think it's a nice area. I don't really know what it is that you're looking for in a camp site, but you would be only 10 minutes from Honesdale, PA which is good for shopping. There's also a supermarket, 2 gas stations and a couple of dining establishments right outside of the camp grounds themselves.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 AM

13 posts, read 84,451 times
Default We liked it

My wife and I camped up there 2 weeks ago.
Now...I'd never been camping before (I'm a city slicker, I guess) but...
We really liked it.
My wife had camped alot when she was young(er) and said that Keen Lake was very nice compared to other places she's been.
We tent-camped midweek and on that side of the lake (mostly tents area), we were the only ones there. We literally camped 3 feet from the lake.
When the weekend came, the whole place was packed.

My wife chose Keen Lake from the website and that the place was dog-friendly...alot of people around us had dogs...in fact, I think everyone did.

We did notice it had some nice amenities...but we didn't use any as we were driving around during the days looking at lots for sale in nearby areas.

All-in-all, it was pricey, but very nice.

Last edited by PoohBrown; 06-29-2007 at 12:11 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 12:07 AM

13 posts, read 84,451 times
Default Also...

I wanted to clarify that the side where people have campers/rvs
was packed midweek and on the weekend...just the tent campsites were empty midweek.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania