Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:10 PM

66 posts, read 289,556 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to determine what is and isn't the poconos. Can someone tell me what are all the counties or cities that make up the Poconos? I read somewhere online that the poconos is only Monroe county. Then I read a site that said something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 08:45 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
I think it's Monroe, Wayne, Pike, Carbon, maybe a little of Lackawanna

Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
The Pocono Mts counties are Monroe, Pike, Wayne & Carbon.
About Pocono counties including Carbon Monroe Pike and Wayne

too many cities to name... Monroe county is a large portion of the Pocono Mts., but all four counties are quite large in their own rights.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 PM

I've always considered parts of the Wyoming Valley, such as Luzerne and Lackawanna counties to be parts of the Poconos...and I feel the same about parts of the Lehigh Valley, such as Wind Gap, Pen Argyl and Bethlehem..

Old 12-12-2009, 09:15 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
The Pocono Mts counties are Monroe, Pike, Wayne & Carbon.
About Pocono counties including Carbon Monroe Pike and Wayne

too many cities to name... Monroe county is a large portion of the Pocono Mts., but all four counties are quite large in their own rights.
Although I'm not the OP, thanks for listing that. Now would you be able to say that there is a large temperature variance among these in the summertime - or are they all pretty much the same? Is there any among those you've listed that has a drier climate (lower humidity)? THANKS, POCONOPROUD

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I grew up just south of the Blue Mountain (the southernmost mountain ridge in the Appalachians in Pennsylvania) in the Lehigh Valley/Northampton County, and I'd consider the Poconos to include most/all of Monroe and Pike Counties, at least the southern half of Wayne County, and the eastern half of Carbon County. Very small portions of far southern Lackawanna County and far eastern Luzerne County might qualify too. Bethlehem (in Northampton and Lehigh Counties) clearly is NOT the Poconos, and both Wind Gap and Pen Argyl (and Bangor), while practically bordering the Poconos by being on the immediate south side of the Blue Mountain, are not in the Poconos either; they are in the Slate Belt. (Wind Gap is a gateway of sorts to the Poconos though, via PA 33.)

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
This is what Wikipedia says.

The Pocono Mountains is a vaguely defined area encompassing Carbon, Monroe, Pike, and southern Wayne Counties of Pennsylvania, as well as portions of neighboring counties such as Schuylkill, and Susquehanna, Luzerne, and Lackawanna. The region of Northampton County from the Slate Belt northwards is also sometimes included. In total, the Poconos encompasses over 2,500 square miles. The Poconos are mountainous, geologically a southwestern extension of the Catskills. The Poconos' highest summit, Elk Hill’s North Knob, reaches 2,693 feet (821 m), while its lowest elevation is 350 feet (107 m) in Pike County.

The Pocono Mountains region is a mountainous region of about 2,400 square miles (6,200 km²) located in Northeastern Pennsylvania, United States. So, there are no real boundaries.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I grew up just south of the Blue Mountain (the southernmost mountain ridge in the Appalachians in Pennsylvania) in the Lehigh Valley/Northampton County, and I'd consider the Poconos to include most/all of Monroe and Pike Counties, at least the southern half of Wayne County, and the eastern half of Carbon County. Very small portions of far southern Lackawanna County and far eastern Luzerne County might qualify too. Bethlehem (in Northampton and Lehigh Counties) clearly is NOT the Poconos, and both Wind Gap and Pen Argyl (and Bangor), while practically bordering the Poconos by being on the immediate south side of the Blue Mountain, are not in the Poconos either; they are in the Slate Belt. (Wind Gap is a gateway of sorts to the Poconos though, via PA 33.)
I'd agree with this. I'd list the North Pocono School District in Lackawanna County (i.e. Thornhurst, Daleville, Moscow, Mt. Cobb) as being the Poconos, as well as parts of Luzerne County such as Buck Township, Bear Creek, Penn Lake Park, White Haven, and Freeland. All of Monroe and Pike Counties are in the Poconos, along with the southern half of Wayne County and parts of Carbon County.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Although I'm not the OP, thanks for listing that. Now would you be able to say that there is a large temperature variance among these in the summertime - or are they all pretty much the same? Is there any among those you've listed that has a drier climate (lower humidity)? THANKS, POCONOPROUD
Yes there are temperature differences! Especially the difference of the Pocono Lake region (Blakeslee, Thornhurst, Pocono Pines) compared to further south near where I live in Saylorsburg. (all within Monroe county) The difference can be as much as 7-10 degrees. There is a joke here...that once you go up Effort Mt..it is a different world. Those in Sierra View at the top of that hill will have a chilly, foggy 45, while just down the bottom in the lower parts of Effort is 50 some degrees and sunny. The altitudes, the lakes.... there are factors that contribute to temp differences.

Last edited by poconoproud; 12-13-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 06:01 PM

and i'm not a scientist...but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania