Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM

31 posts, read 102,710 times

Advertisements

No, Stroudsburg was not as you described.
NYC has moved in, with all their undesirables.
My brother (a passed Stroudsburg policeman would roll over in his grave to see the conditions of his beloved town).
Arizonian

Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thanks. I just wish I didn't feel so "threatened" while I was there. The town looked very nice, but I didn't want to hang around much longer and risk turning down one of the beggars who asked me for money and having him mug me instead. I didn't see a single fellow tourist strolling that street, even though it was a sunny, beautiful day. Why? The images I have in my mind of Stroudsburg from a few years ago were much, much more positive. The town looks very nice, but it just didn't feel "safe" to me with all those crazies strolling about.
I was in Stroudsburg area yesterday... I use to go there alot - it WAS a great town... WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED AND WHEN!!!!!!!!! I have a visitor here from Scotland who loves Walmart. We don't have any super walmarts here in NJ so I took him to Stroudsburg. We pulled in..looked at the people going in and out...felt really out of place so we left. What a shame! I use to love to go in for their St. patty's day parades then head over to McDorf's? McDuffs? for a few drinks while we waitied for the pipers to come in. Let's just say, I won't be going back any time soon!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
So interesting............I remember the time when there were no box stores in the Stroudsburgs. The town was so very quiet, and everything closed by 5 or 6PM.

We so welcomed Walmart as the first major store coming our way. Wow, something open late. Other large box were to come as the years wore on.........and now the old truck stop( on route 80) will be the "Crossings Shopees" in due time.
I tend to head to the Target,Kohls area and find it feels a lot more peaceful and enjoyable.
I didn't like it when the Walmart area started to get bad publicity, a bit un-nerving.
I started to hate it when I needed to get "near" the register at the photo area, and it would be blocked by a group of 6 or more, and not a soul would move.
I tend to go down the the Leighton Walmart or the one on 248( Easton/Palmer) ......
Take your friend down 33 to the Walmart there...........There is also a 12 theater...in the same location and great Pizza at Anthony's......You could make a good day of it.
Did you notice the new Starbucks downtown in Stroudsburg?..........I wonder if it will stay as they are going to close so many.
Welcome to your friend from Scotland.........

Old 07-09-2008, 03:24 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I was in Stroudsburg area yesterday... I use to go there alot - it WAS a great town... WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED AND WHEN!!!!!!!!! I have a visitor here from Scotland who loves Walmart. We don't have any super walmarts here in NJ so I took him to Stroudsburg. We pulled in..looked at the people going in and out...felt really out of place so we left. What a shame! I use to love to go in for their St. patty's day parades then head over to McDorf's? McDuffs? for a few drinks while we waitied for the pipers to come in. Let's just say, I won't be going back any time soon!
I honestly have no idea. I think to be fair I was being a bit harsh and hysterical against Stroudsburg, but for a town of 6,500 or so to have such undesirable elements, I was really very disappointed. I mean, I live in Pittston, a town barely larger than Stroudsburg (and a LOT more impoverished for that matter), and I feel much safer strolling the streets, even after dark.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

32 posts, read 120,925 times
Scran-

Thanks for the pics!! The Mayor should put you on his/her payroll.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I honestly have no idea. I think to be fair I was being a bit harsh and hysterical against Stroudsburg, but for a town of 6,500 or so to have such undesirable elements, I was really very disappointed. I mean, I live in Pittston, a town barely larger than Stroudsburg (and a LOT more impoverished for that matter), and I feel much safer strolling the streets, even after dark.
I've heard rumors that it had gone down hill... high gang activity which I found to be silly...gangs in PA????? but I had no idea it was that bad. I was there about a year ago...had some great hot wings over at the Depot. It wasn't as bad then.. it seems to have gone down hill overnight. Very sad! PA needs to close it's borders to NJ/NYC ers ...or hire additional police officers to monitor the border. Very sad..very, very sad! However, I did venture over to Mt. bethel - upper and lower and I found that area to be really nice! I would love to have one of those houses over on River Road overlooking the delaware River. very pretty. Hopefully that area won't get over-run with less than desirable transplants from our area. I'm sorry PA... seems NJ and NYC has had enough and is forcing them over to your area

Old 07-10-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
So interesting............I remember the time when there were no box stores in the Stroudsburgs. The town was so very quiet, and everything closed by 5 or 6PM.

We so welcomed Walmart as the first major store coming our way. Wow, something open late. Other large box were to come as the years wore on.........and now the old truck stop( on route 80) will be the "Crossings Shopees" in due time.
I tend to head to the Target,Kohls area and find it feels a lot more peaceful and enjoyable.
I didn't like it when the Walmart area started to get bad publicity, a bit un-nerving.
I started to hate it when I needed to get "near" the register at the photo area, and it would be blocked by a group of 6 or more, and not a soul would move.
I tend to go down the the Leighton Walmart or the one on 248( Easton/Palmer) ......
Take your friend down 33 to the Walmart there...........There is also a 12 theater...in the same location and great Pizza at Anthony's......You could make a good day of it.
Did you notice the new Starbucks downtown in Stroudsburg?..........I wonder if it will stay as they are going to close so many.
Welcome to your friend from Scotland.........
We were in that area last week.... stopped at Wegman's and it took several hours for us to pick our chins up off the floor. It was my first Wegmans experience - very nice! Perhaps we'll head back that way and try the Walmart there. Thanks for welcoming of the Scottish Invasion. They come every year. Walmart is their Macy's..lol - they love a bargain!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry PA... seems NJ and NYC has had enough and is forcing them over to your area
I just wish more would move up here to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area to help reinvigorate our cities instead of just plowing over every tree between here and the Delaware River in the Poconos.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Walmart is their Macy's..lol - they love a bargain!
I always thought Macy's was expensive, but then again I'm poor! I have only a few thousand dollars to my name.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM

193 posts, read 542,601 times
"Research?" How many times do we all have to tell you about our negative experiences with this community:

-My boyfriend observed a group of people at the table across from us at Perkins a few years ago. He later told me he observed one of them had a gun, and they were heckling us for being a couple.

-When I went to Stroudsburg for my photo tour, the following all occurred:
a.) I was panhandled by TWO bums seeking "bus fare to the city." That alone was a HUGE turn-off, as I'm never panhandled up here in Scranton.
b.) I observed gang-related graffiti and broken glass just a block away from the Sara Street Grille, which admittedly looked like a nice place.
c.) I was nearly run-down by a woman from New York in an SUV on a cell phone who came careening around a corner onto Sara Street without signalling.
d.) I saw the site of several ARSONS in the community.
e.) My drive in and out of town was accompanied by aggressive drivers, especially on I-80.

okay Now let me tell you about my experience in Scranton.

A. i was in Denny's the day pa locals decided to carry their guns in, and then got into a fight with police that showed up to tell them please put the guns away
B. I was at downtown scranton taking money out of ATM in the middle of the day when some drunk local started asking me for money. very scary for a mom with two little kids
c. My hubby works for a company in scranton, that everytime he trieds to hire new employees 50 percent don't show up for the orientation becuase as one girl said "i get more money on warfar"

My whole point is that it's not nice to always say that New yorkers are to be blame. In every town there are its lowlifes and every experience is different.

i have been on main street in the middle of day like at night. i have never felt fear!
And if you think that your experience compares to being in the bronx OMG. Go spend one afternoon in the bronx and you will think your experience in stroudsburg was heaven

I think we need to all remember that there are lowlives in all areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania