U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 AM

14,429 posts, read 8,502,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yes... this "kid" (its not like she's 10...she made a conscious decision to engage in activity that can result in procreation) needs SOMEBODY to tell her that this kind of irresponsible behavior at her age is WRONG. Obviously her parents didn't teach her right.

Either she's a kid or she's not. Obviously her parents didn't raise her correctly or she wouldn't be in this situation.

But the question stands: what good does splashing her all over the front page do?! It does nothing. It's lowly, yellow, tabloid "reporting".

Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

But the question stands: what good does splashing her all over the front page do?! It does nothing. It's lowly, yellow, tabloid "reporting".
Once again, the papers always do a story on the first baby of the new year...its not their fault that this year the baby was born into a Jerry Springer type of situation. And the mother didn't seem all that ashamed of it, and seemed pretty happy in that picture.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Once again, the papers always do a story on the first baby of the new year...its not their fault that this year the baby was born into a Jerry Springer type of situation. And the mother didn't seem all that ashamed of it, and seemed pretty happy in that picture.

She's SEVENTEEN! Not the height of common sense!

Second of all, just because they "always" do a story on it doesn't mean that it always has to be done. Particularly in a situation such as this.

No, it's not their fault that this seventeen year old girl has obvious issues but it *is* their fault for parading her in public in order to sell papers.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 AM

4,073 posts, read 3,013,320 times
I see no reason to fault the TL for printing a story about "the first baby of the New Year", in view of the fact that the young woman was obviously willing to have said story printed, as witness the smile of joy on her face. It used to be the announcement of the first baby carried a picture of the new mother, proud father and sweet infant in the photo, but the changing definition of what is meant by "family" means not ignoring this baby's moment in history.

I also see no reason to call attention to the story on this forum, which is read by participants from far beyond the confines of the TL's circulation thereby extending the reach of the "embarrassment".
Further, unless you are totally alone, having no female relative anywhere in your history or your future, it would be wise to withhold judgement of this young woman's morals or lack thereof.

Do I think this is right? No. Do I think her parents could have done a better job? No. We don't know what kind of job her parents tried to do.
Want to make sure a daughter never has children out of wedlock? Put her in a chastity belt, lock her in the attic, and force her into an arranged marriage before letting her out. Otherwise, it's anybody's guess which way a child will go.

As my Grandmother used to say, "Don't make judgements. More women than we know were doing the same thing, they just didn't get caught". -30-

Read more: First baby of the new year..another embarrassment for Luzerne County!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 AM

The Citizen's Voice also ran the story on "the first baby of the New Year."

Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I see no reason to fault the TL for printing a story about "the first baby of the New Year", in view of the fact that the young woman was obviously willing to have said story printed, as witness the smile of joy on her face. It used to be the announcement of the first baby carried a picture of the new mother, proud father and sweet infant in the photo, but the changing definition of what is meant by "family" means not ignoring this baby's moment in history.

I also see no reason to call attention to the story on this forum, which is read by participants from far beyond the confines of the TL's circulation thereby extending the reach of the "embarrassment".
Further, unless you are totally alone, having no female relative anywhere in your history or your future, it would be wise to withhold judgement of this young woman's morals or lack thereof.

Do I think this is right? No. Do I think her parents could have done a better job? No. We don't know what kind of job her parents tried to do.
Want to make sure a daughter never has children out of wedlock? Put her in a chastity belt, lock her in the attic, and force her into an arranged marriage before letting her out. Otherwise, it's anybody's guess which way a child will go.

As my Grandmother used to say, "Don't make judgements. More women than we know were doing the same thing, they just didn't get caught". -30-

Read more: First baby of the new year..another embarrassment for Luzerne County!
I would agree with you if this 17 year old has ONE child...that can happen to a lot of people....but a THIRD child by 17? Different story.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Again, the girl (and she is a minor, she can't vote, drink, smoke, join the military, etc) is seventeen and *obviously* has no clue about life or anything like it. So it is ok then for a newspaper to exploit her story to sell papers?

What if the person was mentally disabled? Would it be ok to parade that person across the front pages? Just because they happened to have the first baby of the year?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
The Citizen's Voice also ran the story on "the first baby of the New Year."
I read it and disagree with their reporting of it as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 AM

(Directed to GP and Magritte)

No need to agree with me...You have your position...I am simply presenting mine...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 AM

1,974 posts, read 3,283,949 times
Quote:
(Directed to GP and Magritte)

No need to agree with me...You have your position...I am simply presenting mine...
I will be happy to withhold my judgement and my position, as soon as I am allowed to withhold my tax dollars for paying for HER mistakes. Until then I am entitled to my opinion. This woman will probably be a parasite on government assistance for her entire life. Working people like myself have to pay for this little girls bad decisions in life. I don't want to pay for her bad decisions. Let a charity organization pick up the tab, and medical bills. Let a charity pay for her welfare and food stamps. I'm tapped out, Luzerne County just raised our taxes another 10%. Where is the "safety net" for us working class people? Where is our helping hand? Afterall we pay for everyone else to survive. This little girls three children should go into a state run daycare facility all day, and she should be forced to work all day for her food, for her daycare services, for her bills and rent! JUST LIKE THE REST OF US DO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania