U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 AM

258 posts, read 443,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankarma View Post
Oh, goody....Never saw one except on TV...

I am not an expert but know hummingbirds are particularly attracted to reddish and purplish colored plants. Try searching with something like "plants that attract hummingbirds". You will find plenty of information. They move very fast. Sometimes they will zip by without being seen.

There are hummingbird feeders that dispense sugary liquid. Usually feeders and sometimes even the liquid are colored red. Note however that bears like bird feeders, honey and sweets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 AM

30 posts, read 53,883 times
My kids are going to be so excited to hear that they might be able to see hummingbirds! Thanks for the pointers on how to attract them. The only ones we've been able to see around here are at the zoo. One of my husbands' co-workers took a picture of what he thought was a hummingbird - turns out it was a moth!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM

70 posts, read 73,613 times
A moth. That's so funny. Oh, I can't wait to get all the goodies for the hummingbirds. What attracts the deers?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:57 AM

87 posts, read 156,786 times
You guys are funny.. not to make fun and not to downplay any of the information given here.. but... It sounds like you have never been to the country before. That in itself in cool.. I am all for new adventures and new experiences.

So to put a more real spin on what it is like in the type of "country" you may be visiting, lets put some truths on it.

You will more than likely not encounter any bear. Unless you are in the woods a lot or have a problem bear where you live that steels garbage and eats bird seed.. you should not have a fear of them. Good advice given, do not run.. stay calm and go the other way nice and easy. If by some crazy chance you are attacked, curl up in a ball to protect your vitals and play dead.

Snakes are not a problem. Garden variety and small ones are common and you will see a lot of them. Bad, mean ugly ones that bite.. not so much. Stay out of areas where there are a lot of rocks exposed in the summer heat. They like to sun there.

What attracts the “deers”. If you are living in a development more than likely what attracts the deer is your neighbors corn feed or bread in the yard. If you are on your own parcel, you may want to add a fruit tree or two and you can put out a salt lick.

The truth about the country and the wildlife is that you will see a lot of neat things, birds, small animals, rodents, rabbit, deer, cows, horses, sheep, bear, fox, coyote.

The thing you will see the most of is road kill. If you hike you will probably find left overs from a coyote deer hunt. I often step out to let the dogs out and hear the packs running at night.

If you get a chance go see the eagles on the Delaware.. that is amazing.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 PM

812 posts, read 903,522 times
I found a baby copper head snake on the side of the RR tracks and Devils hole road in Cresco

Old 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM

539 posts, read 786,551 times
Default Hummingbirds outside my kitchen window

We have a hummingbird feeder outside our kitchen window and see them all year long (we're in So. Calif.). Check out a few pictures I took a couple of months ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Bears-dsc00064.jpg   Bears-dsc00061.jpg   Bears-dsc00066.jpg  

Old 01-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Wow. Ok, laugh all you want. Yes, I am near the Phila. area but, moving there. So I guess I'm just learning. It's ok. My realtor got the biggest kick out of me getting all excited over seeing deer in our soon to be back yard. It's just so awesome. Ewwwwwwwww, I know what you mean about road kill. I saw plenty of that already. Ok, so bread in the yard. What the heck is salt lick? Go ahead and laugh. Hey, I'm trying to learn.... Roseann that must be so neat to see those hummingbirds all year.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM

13,306 posts, read 13,025,886 times
Yes, Tankarma...put the humingbird feeder out.......they will come. They are so cute and really are fun.
BTW, on our first day in PA there was a herd of deer in our back yard. It was an awesome sight. I don't think I ever got tired of seeing the herds run though the back area. We even had one friendly deer who we fed.........She would come and eat out of our hands.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM

13,306 posts, read 13,025,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_in_nepa View Post
You guys are funny.. not to make fun and not to downplay any of the information given here.. but... It sounds like you have never been to the country before. That in itself in cool.. I am all for new adventures and new experiences.

So to put a more real spin on what it is like in the type of "country" you may be visiting, lets put some truths on it.

You will more than likely not encounter any bear. Unless you are in the woods a lot or have a problem bear where you live that steels garbage and eats bird seed.. you should not have a fear of them. Good advice given, do not run.. stay calm and go the other way nice and easy. If by some crazy chance you are attacked, curl up in a ball to protect your vitals and play dead.

Snakes are not a problem. Garden variety and small ones are common and you will see a lot of them. Bad, mean ugly ones that bite.. not so much. Stay out of areas where there are a lot of rocks exposed in the summer heat. They like to sun there.

What attracts the “deers”. If you are living in a development more than likely what attracts the deer is your neighbors corn feed or bread in the yard. If you are on your own parcel, you may want to add a fruit tree or two and you can put out a salt lick.

The truth about the country and the wildlife is that you will see a lot of neat things, birds, small animals, rodents, rabbit, deer, cows, horses, sheep, bear, fox, coyote.

The thing you will see the most of is road kill. If you hike you will probably find left overs from a coyote deer hunt. I often step out to let the dogs out and hear the packs running at night.

If you get a chance go see the eagles on the Delaware.. that is amazing.

Well I can honestly say I have never heard a pack of coyote, ever in my 14 years in Pa. at two locations. I've never seen one in the wild either.

I have seen many a deer and that is always an interesting sight.

Probably everyone I have known in PA have seen a bear or two. Then again I did live in the woods of a community and its motto was "living in harmony with nature".........We sure did.
I have not seen any bear in my location now. Which is in the lower end of NEPA and is more farmland then woods. Although, there is a few areas of woods around us, and behind our home. No bear have shown up as yet.

In NJ, my SIL has bear walking through her yard all the time......they just meander on their way...no cares in the world.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh, it sounds so awesome. I'm wandering what my yorkie is going to think of this life change. LOL. He won't know what the heck he is seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania