Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times

Advertisements

Not all those living in Saylorsburg are in Chestnuthill Township. I'm in Ross Township, and my taxes are much lower than they were in Chestnuthill Township...and the rules and regs are more relaxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,924 times
Oops, I didn't mean to type Saylorsburg for the jail - I did indeed mean Snydersville, up the road from the DMV; sorry for the mistake! Poconoproud - you are in Ross Twp, but which school district? Pleasant Valley taxes are the ones that are killing us not the twp taxes. It's good to hear that the rules & regs are more relaxed in Ross as opposed to C'hill! I want to address the tone of some of the replies that I have read on this thread. I think perhaps many in this area are really turning a blind-eye towards the crime rate that has been steadily increasing over the last several years. I get that people don't want to think that bad things are happening in their backyard, but it's not productive to just deny it exists. We need a local police force in the worst way and perhaps more community watch groups would help as well. I mean really, within walking distance from my home I know 3 homes that were burglarized within the last 2 years and I am in the heart of Brodheadsville. I know there are drug dealers at Chestnuthill Park during daylight hours because I have seen them with my own eyes! Called state police and they never even bothered to show up - on two different occasions. On the surface, it's not a bad place to live and I know there are much worse places (I came from Bklyn!) but I don't like to sugarcoat the issues either. There are plenty of good things to say about the area too - there are lots of things for the kids to do, the library is OK, and there are 11 cyber-charter schools and 2 brick & mortar charter schools to choose from if you don't want your kids in the regular schools here; the church (Queen of Peace Roman Catholic) that we attend is terrific and has lots of different committees, groups & events to be a part of as well as a very good CCD program for the kids - the new Pastor's are wonderful. There's lots of shopping/dining within the area and plenty more with malls etc within an hour drive in several directions. There are several hospitals to choose from with Pocono Medical just a few minutes away (not my first choice but not horrible either) and more within 30/40 minutes drive. I still have to go to NYC for dental because the dentists out here won't take my insurance as full payment but the doctors/pediatricians that I found have been good. I miss sidewalks and I miss (of all things) 1010wins AM radio but I do not want to go back to the city for sure. Some tips that I got from a friend who used to do real estate: go to the grocery stores near where you want to live and hang in the parking lot for a bit then walk around the store as if you're shopping, you will learn A LOT about the people in the neighborhood there; make an appointment to meet with the principal and/or attend a PTO meeting at the school your children will be attending, you'll get to see the kids in the school first hand and a feel for the staff and other parents there. Check greatschools.org for more school information too. I don't want to *bash* our neck of the woods and I mean no offense to anyone, I'm just offering my own honest opinion and observations as someone who lives here with my eyes wide open.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM

13 posts, read 25,091 times
Wow thank you for the informative post, I greatly appreciate the honestly. I will still be checking out the area but will look out for all things mentioned. Going to the grocery store is the best tip!!! I will def. follow that and keep searching for the best place for our particular situation. Thank you to all again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania