Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:59 AM

8 posts, read 16,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzndd View Post
Hey Blip. I probably should have given more information, so apologize for that. No it's not exclusively about crime, i have never done drugs so I wouldn't be involved with those people anyway. I have a car so transportation isn't an issue for me. HOWEVER, my friend who will be with me, does not drive and will be walking or taking the bus when i can't give him rides. I would like a walkable neighborhood however because I always enjoyed walking believe it or not and much rather give my car a rest.

And yes I would like a short commute downtown. Thanks for you help man.

Oh I must say, for people complaining your neighborhood is filled with drug-dealers and always complaining about scum moving in. Why are you trying to convince two white hard-working, college educated tweny+ year olds (and one who serves our country might i add) who are drug-free to NOT move into your area??? Just something to think about....if you constantly tell everyone your area is bad, "good" people willl avoid it and more and more trash will come in. Just a thought
You asked for info on the area, so I gave an honest review of the area and how it's gone downhill. Would you want someone to lie to you about how great an area is, only to buy property or sign a lease and find out later how bad the area actually is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,056,244 times
I don't really see it as complaining as much as it is about being honest, there are no rose colored glasses on any of us and we are not delusional about where we live.

College-educated twenty somethings are usually running for the door, not looking to come in and there is a reason for that.

If you really want to move here, then by all means go ahead. We have armed you with the info needed to do so, its your choice.

I come from a long military family and I don't understand why that comes into play in this conversation. Would you rather we lie to him, we all have respect for the uniform and what it represents and maybe you don't since you seem to be the one shoving in others faces expect something in return for it.

Every night I tuck my son into bed, I enjoy the freedom to do so because of men like father, grandfather, uncle and your friend. Its an honor to live in country that so many have laid down their lives to protect and I would prefer that don't use someones service to this country as a bargaining tool.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM

81 posts, read 274,851 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Chris. It is a great help, because this job/move has come out of nowhere and I trying to figure things out quickly. I am sorry for your troubles, my family experienced similar things in the Allentown area when I was a teen.

What would the area closest to Nay Aug Park be reffered to? That didn't seem too bad and it wasn't far from downtown.

Is all of Scranton generally bad?? Maybe I should be looking more to the outskirts for a place, such as moosic or old forge??
Yeah I would stay away from scranton all together. I would look at old forge, moosic, dupont, avoca(where I live), or pittston. Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1977 View Post
Yeah I would stay away from scranton all together. I would look at old forge, moosic, dupont, avoca(where I live), or pittston. Hope this helps.
Pittston is an armpit. Very bad advice. Town of 7,000 with a huge drug problem and a downtown that is rotting to the core. Trust me. I'm a native.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Hey Blip. I probably should have given more information, so apologize for that. No it's not exclusively about crime, i have never done drugs so I wouldn't be involved with those people anyway. I have a car so transportation isn't an issue for me. HOWEVER, my friend who will be with me, does not drive and will be walking or taking the bus when i can't give him rides. I would like a walkable neighborhood however because I always enjoyed walking believe it or not and much rather give my car a rest.

Oh I must say, for people complaining your neighborhood is filled with drug-dealers and always complaining about scum moving in. Why are you trying to convince two white hard-working, college educated tweny+ year olds (and one who serves our country might i add) who are drug-free to NOT move into your area??? Just something to think about....if you constantly tell everyone your area is bad, "good" people willl avoid it and more and more trash will come in. Just a thought
I've already given up hope on Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ever "turning the corner." I'm an educated young twenty-something, and I can count on one hand the number of my peers who went on to graduate fro Pittston Area and attend college who are planning to raise their families in the region; we've all relocated. There's just nothing there besides limited career opportunities for the educated and a HUGE under-class that is petty and jealous towards anyone with a degree and who holds back progress at any opportunity so that they don't get priced out of their own area due to their own lack of professional ambition. The truth hurts, but I call it as I see it. Scranton is the only city in America I've ever seen where people take bets hoping which next independent merchant fails (this happened when Poochie closed), rally against loft apartments and condos, oppose a commuter rail option to NYC that WOULD give college graduates a reason to return, and just complain in general because they want to deflect their own problems in life upon their local government.

YouTube "Scranton city council." The people that speak at the podium there are a pretty accurate cross-section of Scranton's "finest." People in Scranton think flex buildings built by a criminal (Rob Mericle) that offer $9/hr. warehousing jobs are the "wave of the future." People shop at Wal-Mart and think they're also a great employer. People automatically assume anyone from NY/NJ is a thug criminal. People tell outsiders who WANT to help, such as myself, that we "can't have an opinion", yet the city residents themselves have made NO EFFORT to save what's left of their declining city because they're too busy calling council people names in sentence fragments on a juvenile message board.

Trust me. I'm one of the most bitter people against Scranton you'll ever find. For years growing up into my undergraduate era I tried championing the area. I submitted newspaper editorials, posted online photo tours, and personally met people face-to-face and gave them tours of the region's assets trying to convince them to move to the region and/or establish businesses here. Where did that get me? Hated. In Scranton razing a historic church for a parking lot is considered "progress." In Scranton condos/lofts downtown are a "waste of money" to most people who are too short-sighted to see that increasing downtown foot traffic will boost property values throughout the city in the long run as the downtown rebounds. In Scranton if you're "brown", you're a problem. In Scranton if you're gay, you're a threat to children. In Scranton you're "livin' large" with a Ford Taurus and a job at "da factree" that is on the border of being outsourced to Mexico any month now. In Scranton you'll see thousands packing high school football games while nobody ever shows up to support the arts. In Scranton DUIs are considered a "rite of passage." In Scranton people think a mayor who barely makes $50,000 to govern a city of over 70,000 is "overpaid" while they have no qualms with the mayor of a nearby city of 40,000 earning an $80,000 salary.

You can't fix stupid, and unfortunately there are a lot of short-sighted, pessimistic, and, yes, STUPID people in the city. Until they all die off and let the next generation try to improve things the city is doomed. Many of my friends, as well as myself, have dreams of opening our own business ventures. It's a shame Scranton turned us all off and won't be enjoying any of those job opportunities.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,611,650 times
Scranton has its ups and downs, but if you do relocate here and want to assimilate leave the self important condescending attitude MOD CUT somewhere else and for the most part you will find a community of helpful, friendly people..

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-14-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
Quote:
I will be relocating to Scranton in the Spring. And I am in the process of finding an apartment. Green Ridge, Hill section, West side, South, North....

I guess what I am asking is what neighborhoods are better/nicer/safer places? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I understand there is a rise in crime up that way but I have lived in Allentown for the past year. In my previous visits to Scranton I have never even remotely compared it to Allentown. Is it that crime actually gets reported in Scranton why the stats are high?

Anyway, any help on the area is greatly appreciated.
Back on topic please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:11 PM

904 posts, read 2,045,855 times
Quote:

Hey blitzndd, Yeah, I hear you on giving the car a rest. I'd recommend West Side or possibly the Hill section then. WS has more immediate amenities around (groceries, drug stores, some restaurants), and is an easy walk or drive downtown. The Lower Hill is really close to downtown, but there isn't a ton right there (no grocery store there or downtown) and it has a reputation for crime. (A couple random violent muggings recently.) The Upper Hill is nice, and there's a great park up there, but there also aren't many shops up there and it's a steep hike downtown.

The buses here seem to cater mostly to people who commute downtown, so not so useful as general transportation, just so you know. Sounds like you guys would be better off sticking somewhere closer to the center of town, like West Side or the Hill.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,056,244 times
Yeah, but there is nothing in the downtown, the mall is dead and there is no grocery store or really any decent shops to speak of so IMHO there is zero reason to stay near the downtown. Bus don't do any real good in getting anywhere, but downtown and I can't see the bus as a reason to stay close to an empty dead after 5pm downtown.

Honestly I'm not sure what you are expecting or looking for in the Scranton area, but if you guys are just looking for a place to move and its not related to a job then I would look elsewhere. That has nothing to do with you, but I just think you are expecting me then we have to offer.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,164,745 times
I wouldn't call it empty dead after 5. I mean, we're not talking Times Square in here, but there are bars, nightclubs, and restaurants that stay open past 5PM, specially around the courthouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania