U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM

915 posts, read 1,991,195 times
I remember working in an office (Scranton) the men had ashtrays at their desks and could smoke and the women were not allowed to smoke !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM

915 posts, read 1,991,195 times
Oops Sorry, got off track -- I always loved the Glider Diner !!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:40 PM

109 posts, read 223,721 times
Another vote for the Gourmet, and the Glider diner. Just a word of caution, the Gourmet is small, so on a weekend morning be ready to wait for a table.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 PM

1,360 posts, read 990,562 times
Terrys (Moosic), Glider (Scranton), Gourmet (Chinchilla) in no particular order. Oh, there is also the Skyliner, an institution in Avoca for decades. I haven't been there is many years but could be worth a look....and the Moosic Diner too (have heard some good things about it recently). No shortage of diners in NEPA, and each is checking out if you are a diner fan.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,067,169 times
I've never understood why so many people like Chick's diner.. I've been there a few times and every time the service was crappy and the food was mediocre at best.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 AM

99 posts, read 110,033 times
Glider does an excellent meatloaf and stuffed peppers or cabbages. I've never had anything bad there, but those are the best. I also love their chocolate frosting... love it when I walk in and there's a chocolate frosted chocolate cake on the counter!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM

3,984 posts, read 2,732,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Terrys (Moosic), Glider (Scranton), Gourmet (Chinchilla) in no particular order. Oh, there is also the Skyliner, an institution in Avoca for decades. I haven't been there is many years but could be worth a look....and the Moosic Diner too (have heard some good things about it recently). No shortage of diners in NEPA, and each is checking out if you are a diner fan.
Terry's Diner was destroyed in a fire in '99. Determined to rebuild the business, they purchased the Skyliner Diner, had it moved to the old Terry's site in Moosic, and reopened under the Terry's name in 2000.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM

258 posts, read 442,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Terry's Diner was destroyed in a fire in '99. Determined to rebuild the business, they purchased the Skyliner Diner, had it moved to the old Terry's site in Moosic, and reopened under the Terry's name in 2000.
Hmm, as I said, it has been a while. I remember that Terry's burned years ago but forgot how they rebuilt. So, if you go to Terry's now, you kind of get two places for one ? BTW, if only they could communicate, the stories these old diners could tell...

Is there a diner at or near the old Skyliner spot?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,203,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Eddie's Diner across from Mohegan Sun. It's a classic diner just like you described. Andy's River road Diner on Wyoming ave is also good. Austie's Diner down on the Sans Souci Parkway is good. I like Eddie's the best...good, cheap food, they are open 24 hours. It looks like a throughback to the 1950's. Plus there is Lispi's Lounge down in the basement.

Eddie's rules. That place needs to be on diners drive ins and dives. Especially with lispi's downstairs. I used to love seeing stingray there on mondays with a pitcher of blue kamikaze. mmmmmmmm.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:57 PM

3,984 posts, read 2,732,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyz View Post
Is there a diner at or near the old Skyliner spot?
I'm pretty sure that the Pilot Truck Stop spelled the end of the Skyliner, which is why it was up for sale when Terry's bought it. Pilot has a restaurant with buffet meals, gift shop, showers (for truckers) and of course, fuel for the rigs. Pilot is on 315, right about where Skyliner was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania