Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times

Advertisements

Sheila48,
We live tucked in-between three developments and used to have many deer around our house. Deer are a little like raising a pig. If you have only one; they are finicky eaters. The problem is when you have more than one (deer are social creatures). If one deer spots another deer just smelling a plant or a flower - it has to taste what, it thinks, the other deer ate. We have had deer eat just about every so called deer resistant flower mentioned. They also love our tomatoes, beans, cucumbers and just about anything that is green.
One plant that we have never seen them eat is the Japanese Andromeda. One post mentioned hollies - they will eat the new shoots. If you want to do serious gardening you should consider either a ten/twelve foot high fence, an electric fence or moving to a desert island (without deer). Most deer repellents only work until a rain and then only if the deer is not that hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:41 PM

76 posts, read 175,939 times
Well, I sure am learning alot about the deer. I was thinking of those tomoatoes and strawberries that you can hang upside down. I know, better hang them high enough. LOL. Thanks everyone. Guess I better not put too much money into flowers or plants. Don't want the high fence. The desert island might be nice for awhile. lOL

Old 03-04-2010, 06:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,583,014 times
I tried a fence. My neighbor told me deer would get into it..........I "wanted" flowers.
Well.......my neighbor was right. The next morning I look out and inside the fence........a small deer.
I had put a lot of funds into shrubs and flowers only to find them eaten up.
I did a lot of research....but....alas....They ate the ones that they were not suppose to.
I had some luck with rododendrum, they did not touch those bushes. The other one mentioned somewhere here the shrub with the little white bells( andromedia), you'd have luck with those.
I also planted pine trees to one side of our yard, and they grew fine.......they don't touch the pines.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,982,974 times
Summering,
My deer love my rhododendron! I have to keep deer fencing on them otherwise they have no leaves and will die. After rhododendron get over about five feet high you can take down the fence - if you want rhododendron trees (with no leaves on the trunks). You have only been luck that they have not attacked your plants.
Go with the Japanese Andromeda if you want deer proof. You mentioned pines - bucks will remove the bark to remove the velvet from their horns. You have to protect young pines until the trunks are over four inches thick.
I haven’t tried lavender as a flower - that is supposedly deer proof.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 PM

130 posts, read 314,968 times
Default What flowers if any will the deer not eat?

Go to Cooperative Extension - Pike County and they will send you a list of plants/flowers that are deer resistant. They are a great resource. Happy planting!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM

76 posts, read 175,939 times
Thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania