Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,323 times

Advertisements

ScrantonWilkes-Barre:

Have you ever been to the towns Sheppton & Kelayras? My grandfather and other relatives lived there when they were young and worked in the coal mines. My great uncle owned a store in Sheppton and we use to visit when I was a little girl about 40 years ago. I still have a great aunt in Kelayras and I would like to visit sometime and show my children where their great grandfather grew up. You seem to know a lot about the area and was just wondering if you have ever heard of these towns. Would love some photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
ScrantonWilkes-Barre:

Have you ever been to the towns Sheppton & Kelayras? My grandfather and other relatives lived there when they were young and worked in the coal mines. My great uncle owned a store in Sheppton and we use to visit when I was a little girl about 40 years ago. I still have a great aunt in Kelayras and I would like to visit sometime and show my children where their great grandfather grew up. You seem to know a lot about the area and was just wondering if you have ever heard of these towns. Would love some photos.
I have never been to either of these two towns, but I do know that they are in extreme northern Schuylkill County, just below Hazleton. I could most certainly arrange to take some photos in the future for you, as it's only about a 45-minute drive from me.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 AM

183 posts, read 1,263,323 times
I dont want you to go to any trouble. If you are ever down that way a couple of pictures would be great. We are going to Lancaster and Hershey with the kids in July. My daughter is looking at a couple of colleges in PA even though it would be cheaper for her to remain in Florida for in state tuition. When we come back up at Thanksgiving we may take a ride to Sheppton and Kelayres with my father. When both girls are in college in the next 2 years my husband and I are taking the two boys and looking to relocate somewhere in PA. I want to be closer to family and I hope the two girls will follow. Thanks for all your help ScrantonWilkes-Barre!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
Thanks for the great trip down memory lane. I grew up in "West Side" and had friends that lived in a lot of those houses. I went to Charles Sunmner Elementary School and graduated from West Scranton High School in 1984. My family still resides on Hyde Park Ave and I return about every 18 months to visit. I find the biggest thing I miss is the food. Nothing like Old Forge Pizza and Keystone Texas Weiners. I gain at least 10 pounds every visit.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
I live in Hyde Park. As a matter of fact, I live across the street from the purple house in Paul's photo tour of West Side. You really like Old Forge style pizza, TonyinBama. Yuck. I guess everyone has different tastes.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I live in Hyde Park.
That makes two of you---ConorsDad and NYRangers2008. Hyde Park is still in contention with the Lower Hill for being my own future neighborhood, so that might make three of us living within a few blocks of each other. Backyard barbecue, anyone? I'll bring my specialty---store-bought potato salad!

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I live across the street from the purple house in Paul's photo tour of West Side.
(Grins at knowing which bushes to hide in now to jump out and scare you as you leave for work early on Monday morning).

Quote:
You really like Old Forge style pizza, TonyinBama. Yuck. I guess everyone has different tastes.
Old Forge-style pizza is DEFINITELY overrated. It's not bad, but it's not at all good either. It just kind of "exists," you know? (Kinda like lint) LOL! I prefer hitting up Arcaro & Genell's for some great pasta dishes instead. Mmmm...ravioli...me hungry!!!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
(Grins at knowing which bushes to hide in now to jump out and scare you as you leave for work early on Monday morning).

Paul, I work third shift and leave my house at 10:30 at night, so you might scare me when I come home in the morning. LOL. Plus, I'm on vacation this week.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,028 times
I enjoyed your photos and I too wander around taking pictures but my hobby is before and afters. Finding pictures of old historic buildings and then taking new pics of them. When I saw your Providence pictures it reminded my of the ones I took about 8 years or more ago after I found some old postcards and wanted to stand in the same position of the original photographer. Boy do things change.
I did want to correct two things that you wrote about under your pictures. One is that Catalanos is Italian not Hispanic and the other is the new restaurant Faccia Luna took over a building that was long occupied by Albert E. Peters and Associates, I believe they were architects or something in that field. Of course before them it was a bank but AEP was there since before 1985.
Keep up the wandering and thanks for the tours!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,900 times
Wink Scranton--Chestnut at Jackson

Hello Friends, I'm waist deep in genealogy. My family settled in Scranton (Hyde Park and Providence) when they arrived from Ireland in the 50's. Both sets of great-grandparents would move westward by 1880, to Montana. I have the 'indenture' document signed by Joseph Fellows and my Great-Grandparent, Daniel O'Grady, signed on June 19, 1866 wherein Daniel purchased from Joseph a particular parcel of land distinguished on Heerman's map of South Hyde Park as being Lot 1 in block number 9, being fortyeight and 1/4 feet in Front on Jackson St, ninety five and 3/4 feet on Chestnut St. When he dies in 1889, his Will states the lot is on the southeast corner of Chestnut and Jackson Streets. If anyone local can tell me what's on that corner presently, I'd appreciate it. If it is an OLD house I'd love a picture. The document from Fellows, who I understand had vast holdings in the area, is fascinating. It spells out very clearly that all the mineral resources below the house and access to those resources remains with Fellows. Interesting. Anyone with specific information on this rea, please drop me a line if you have time.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:12 PM

31 posts, read 102,688 times
I was married 50 years ago in St Michaels Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
Your photo is absolutely breathtaking.
Arizonian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania