U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:55 PM

76 posts, read 102,131 times

Advertisements

Since I'm new here and this is my first winter here. I was just wandering, where do all of the deer go? I have seen them every day until this last big snow storm. Do they find places to hide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,238,918 times
I'm no expert...what I know about them from my ex-boss at my last job who's been hunting since childhood, they take to higher ground or more forested areas during the winter months but that doesn't mean you won't see them...just less as often as before winter really sets in...same goes for when it's raining...I thought they would hide out during rainy periods but, according to him, the rain doesn't bother them...they'll stand in the rain and eat just as they would on a sunny day...didn't stop one from running across the road in front of my truck and getting hit on Feb. 15th at 2am...first time I hit one in the 14 years I've been coming out here...did $2,200.00 in damage to the truck and that was at 45-50mph on Rt. 209...but anyway you will see them during winter as well but not as much...

Old 03-01-2010, 02:34 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,768,000 times
Yes, they will stay in the more forested areas so the snow isn't up to their necks. But, soon you will see them appear and be running through the woods in snow.
One year I had one nest in my shrubs and eat the "uneatable shrubs" the ones that were adorning the front door area. In the night I could look out and see little glowing eyes in our back yard. They'd be sleeping in the woods until early morning. It was so much fun to watch them.
What greeted me on my first day there was a big buck just standing there and looking towards the house. Then I use to count the herds running through the woods. The most in one group was just above 15 or so.........I think I got to a count of 18 once. Amazing animals..........

Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,649,290 times
They hang out under Big pine and evergreen trees . They bed down and wait it out

Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM

29,743 posts, read 26,463,503 times
from the looks of it when we come up it looks like they have been throwing huge bashes in my back yard if they arent by you

Old 03-01-2010, 05:57 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,768,000 times
Party animals they are........You must have my bunch from the old development.......
Narry a green plant to be found after the winter........

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Oh, thanks everyone. So they will come back, that's good. No mathjack. This big snow storm sent them off. You mean they are all partying in your back yard. Hey, that's not fair. LOL

Old 03-01-2010, 06:55 PM

To Davidwebb, so sorry about that. That must be some scare to have that happen. Are you ok?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,238,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila48 View Post
To Davidwebb, so sorry about that. That must be some scare to have that happen. Are you ok?
We're fine...we weren't hurt...I'm used to seeing them run across the road...just didn't expect this idiot to just stop at the last minute...had he kept on running he would still be out there probably having a few beers with his buddies...I hurt more for my truck cuz it's my favorite vehicle and the only 4X4 I have right now...Thanks for asking though...

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

4,613 posts, read 3,349,627 times
sheila48,
Deer, in very deep snow, will sometimes walk in the roads. It is easier for them to walk. During storms they do hold up in the evergreens and laural.
We do not have the same amount of deer in PA that I grew up with. Up until about ten/fifteen years ago we had huge herds. Deer would peacefully eat along side of many of our roads. That was about the time that our Game Commission changed it’s policies and also coyotes moved into our area. While there are still some strongholds (for the deer in some developments); deep woods deer ( including State Gamelands) have disappeared.
Especially because of coyotes and sometimes domestic dogs and hunters; motorist do not have time to react to deer running/jumping across our roads. When deer are not pressured; they would just walk across our roads.
There have been many pressures on our game management agencies to reduce the size of our herds and extend hunting seasons. Homeowners complain about lost plants/foliage. Farmers complain about lost crops. Motorist/insurance companies do not like deer. Foresters complain about lost new growth. Hunters want better equipment, longer seasons and more land to hunt.
I used to hunt up untill about seven years ago. Then I noticed the deer disappearing. As a truck driver; I could drive across our State and not see one deer. I gave up hunting - I refuse to kill the last deer standing. I enjoy seeing/watching/photographing deer. I wish that the herds were strong (like I knew growing up).

Last edited by fisheye; 03-02-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Missed parenthesis mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania