U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,333,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
I've never drained mine of fuel (9HP, 28" Craftsman)...what I do is add a bottle of Stabil to the gas that's left in it and let it run for a few minutes before I use it...I have a pretty big shed so that's where I store it...
Same here (although I think? you mean run it for a few minutes before storing it for summer.) Between stabil and a tightly sealed gas cap I never have trouble with the summer storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 05:07 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,246,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
Same here (although I think? you mean run it for a few minutes before storing it for summer.)
I add the Stabil when I use it for the first time in winter.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:35 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,401,098 times
DavidWebb,
Read your directions carefully on the product. As the name implies; it is intended to stabilize your fuel. If your fuel is already stale; it cannot work magic. Here is one of Stabli’s Q&A’s: “Q: What if my gas has already gone stale (i.e. has gummed up)?
A: If the engine starts, you should fill your tank with fresh gas and use a fuel injector cleaner product (such as 104+ Octane Boost). If your engine does not start, then you will need to seek a professional mechanic for cleaning and repairs.”
When I was in business; I would either recommend using Stabil (the product was around 40 years ago) right after your last seasonal use or drain your tank and run your carburetor out of gas.
One of the worst things anybody can do, when they put their equipment in storage, was to leave only a small amount of gas in the tank. That will evaporate quickly and leave behind a gummy residue. However; it did provide repair shops (like mine) with plenty of work.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,246,726 times
Thanks Fisheye...I'll keep this in mind for storing after this winter season

Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,364,512 times
i grew up with a long stone driveway. when we were finally able to afford a snow blower it was incredible. Ours had "shear pins". They are grooved bolt meant to break off if the blower picked up something that could damage it. Once the pin breaks the auger of the blower no longer spins until you replace the pin.

We had to replace 2 on average for each time we ran the blower. We kept a good stock of pins. It really stunk when the pin would break and you had to resort to the shovel so you could get out to buy more pins...

I don't know that all snowblowers use this method of self preservation, but i bet any decent quality machine will have a safety feature that prevents damage.

I wouldn't put a plow on your jeep if it's your daily driver. Plowing snow is hard on a vehicle. Signs that a vehicle had a plow on it will destroy resale...
If i were to move back I would pick up an older beat 4x4 pick up and put a plow on that. That's assuming i had a place to keep it.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,401,098 times
61scout80,
Thanks for reminding me; it has been about 35 years since I had my shop. I forgot about all the shear pins that I replaced.
Where I now live I have over four hundred feet of paved driveway. Even though I had been a dealer; I made the mistake of buying a snow thrower that had rubber scrapper blades. My paved driveway is chip and oil and fairly rough. The rubber scraper blades wore very fast. I never got the machine to do the whole driveway - I got it just to clean up what the plow did not get. I kept it only about two years and then got rid of it. Now I have a old Gravely, four wheel tractor, with a plow blade. I still do not want to do the whole driveway with the garden tractor plow - only if it is a light snow.
I have been happy with paying a man $45 to plow me. I also encourage him to plow as may times as he deems necessary on large snow storms. I know how expensive it is to buy and maintain a good truck to plow today. Many homeowners would be ahead of the game even if they spent $100/snowfall.
The only thing about owning snow equipment is the idea of being self-sufficient. You do not have to rely on somebody’s schedule - that might not fit your schedule.
What I used to hate about selling snow equipment was that we had to have two good snowstorms before Xmas. If we did not; it was very hard to get rid of the equipment. With light or no snow the bank ate up the profits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania