U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,297,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It is not family friendly....well, the parade itself is fine, but the reason this parade is so popular is because its a big drunkfest....the bars open at 7 A.M. and sell 17 cent beer...so you know right off that bat that that's a disaster....lots of people have been drinking for 4 hours or more before the parade even starts. Its closer to Mardi Gras than say, the Scranton Christmas Parade, and you wouldn't take kids to Mardi Gras. That said, you can usually avoid the majority of drunken revelers by staying right by the Mall at Steamtown main entrance on Lackawanna Ave, which is the part of the parade furthest from the bars. We did go there a couple of years ago and it wasn't too bad by the mall...but last year, I had my police scanner on most of the day, and the calls for police to deal with unruly drunks and fights was literally nonstop all day and well into the night. Overall, with kids, I'd say its safest to avoid the parade. The whole point of the day and its popularity is to get falling-down drunk...which does not make it family-friendly.
I agree. This parade has become a joke. It's not worth dealing with amateur drunken college kids who think that it's a rite of passage to drink to oblivion and then puke all over the streets. After the parade all you see is beer cans and the like littered all over the streets. It's supposed to be a family friendly event, but it's not. If I had kids, I would not take them. The city should mandate that no drinking takes place until AFTER the parade. And there's no need to open the bars that early and encourage the drunks to start drinking early. I'm not into a parade where the sole reason is to get blasted out of your mind and think that's it's cool in doing so.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
That's very impressive
I guess it makes him more of a man, I'm impressed.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:48 AM

4,526 posts, read 5,710,400 times
Quote:
Like I said...listen to a police scanner...it is not an exaggeration that on parade day, the cops are going nonstop from call to call dealing with drunken idiocy. Yes, there are spots where you can watch the parade with minimal exposure to drunks...in front of the mall...but the reality is that this parade is not a family friendly event, its more of Scranton's version of Mardi Gras. Why do you think so many people show up to this parade as opposed to the Armed Forces and Christmas parades?

If people want to party, that's fine, but it shouldn't start at 7 am. And why don't more Irish people find the stereotype of the "Irish drunk" offensive? If it was an Italian festival where everybody dressed up as mobsters, I could guarantee the Italians wouldn't put up with it...if it was Martin Luther King day and the bars opened up early selling fried chicken and malt liquor, it would cause a nationwide uproar...but to stereotype the Irish as drunken fools is somehow OK. And lost in all of this parade day 17 cent green beer at 7 in the morning is the fact that St. Patrick's Day is a day to celebrate St. Patrick spreading Christianity to Ireland, and I doubt St. Patrick was double-fisting green beer. "Green beer" is an American bastardization anyways. There is no way to make goat pee like Miller Lite into anything remotely Irish, no matter how much green food coloring you put in it.

You can say its a family event, but I think its only fair to warn someone with kids who has never been there that the day is basically a big beer party that starts early in the morning, which is why supposedly 100,000 people show up. If it wasn't for the booze, there wouldn't even be a third of that number.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 14,894,873 times
The scanner is hopping tonight....10 PM and still call after call after call of trouble related to parade day drunkenness. This parade is not a benefit to this city in any way....what we gain in some bar business, we more than lose in overtime costs for the increased police patrols and all the problems and headaches from drunks running amok all over town. And its not just downtown...later in the day, the drunks spread out to all parts of the town and keep drinking.

Just like a few years back when Jessup stopped having St. Ubaldo Day for a while because of too many problems with drunks, I think its time to shelve the St Patrick's Day parade for a while.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
The scanner is hopping tonight....10 PM and still call after call after call of trouble related to parade day drunkenness. This parade is not a benefit to this city in any way....what we gain in some bar business, we more than lose in overtime costs for the increased police patrols and all the problems and headaches from drunks running amok all over town. And its not just downtown...later in the day, the drunks spread out to all parts of the town and keep drinking.

Just like a few years back when Jessup stopped having St. Ubaldo Day for a while because of too many problems with drunks, I think its time to shelve the St Patrick's Day parade for a while.
Thank God that it's rainy and windy and cold out, because if it was a nice, mild night, we would have more drunks running around on the streets. This parade is not a benefit to the city in any way, it just makes Scranton look like a bunch of immature, rowdy fools that don't know how to behave themselves. It would be nice if the city did shelve the parade for awhile, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think it's one of the longest running parades in the country and I don't see that streak stopping any time soon. It's sad that it's become a spectacle like this.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 33,762 times
Oh please, it wasn't that bad. You guys really need to loosen up. You sound like a couple of puscakes. I went downtown around 4:30 and it was really tame due to the weather. I watched some of it on tv and it seemed like a typical st. patty's parade. I only went to the Bog and the vibe in there was better than usual. A couple of djs were playing records to a receptive crowd. I didn't see any fighting or violence. The only ****ty thing that happened was a friend of mine got his windshield smashed in by somebody. He was staying with his cousin at the U of Scranton and parked in a student parking lot. Some ******* smashed his car maybe becuase it had out of state plates. He got it fixed Monday morning and it took about an hour. Other than that the day was a lot of fun.

To anyone who thinks this isn't good for the city please go back to mommy's house and beg for milk. The rest of us will be out enjoying our freedoms.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbones View Post
Oh please, it wasn't that bad. You guys really need to loosen up. You sound like a couple of puscakes. I went downtown around 4:30 and it was really tame due to the weather. I watched some of it on tv and it seemed like a typical st. patty's parade. I only went to the Bog and the vibe in there was better than usual. A couple of djs were playing records to a receptive crowd. I didn't see any fighting or violence. The only ****ty thing that happened was a friend of mine got his windshield smashed in by somebody. He was staying with his cousin at the U of Scranton and parked in a student parking lot. Some ******* smashed his car maybe becuase it had out of state plates. He got it fixed Monday morning and it took about an hour. Other than that the day was a lot of fun.

To anyone who thinks this isn't good for the city please go back to mommy's house and beg for milk. The rest of us will be out enjoying our freedoms.
Tell us again how it is good for the city? We're not seeing it.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

7,931 posts, read 14,894,873 times
Batten the hatches...its almost time for the Scranton St. Patty's Day drunkfest:
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper889/stills/l0sb22l5.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2011, 12:33 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,667,086 times
Our lil clan is going out of town of Friday and not coming back till Sunday!Split Rock here we come!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,016,863 times
Quote:
Batten the hatches...its almost time for the Scranton St. Patty's Day drunkfest:

If there are scantily clad women, who have teeth and do not max out the BMI index, i'm all for the parade. Although, I don't think that picture was taken in Scranton.

One of the things Scranton is known for is the parade, it is one day a year. What is the big deal with partying, and revelry? Who cares if for a day or two after the parade the DPW has to actually get out and work. It brings money into the city. People stay at hotels, drink beer, buy crap and eat food. Maybe a few even stay for the weekend.

We have become really intolerant if we expect that every catholic bazar in the summer that doles alcohol by the gallon is ok, but god forbid a city holds a party.

If you don't like it, don't go. No big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>