Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times

Advertisements

I just don't get why people in this area are so nonchalant about binge drinking...like its no big deal....like when kids get caught drinking around graduation time, the parents will get mad at the police rather than thanking them for possibly saving their lives....but when many parents are also out getting bombed at the bar every week rather than spending time with the family, I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I'm not anti-drinking altogether, but drinking is glorified way too much in Northeastern Pennsylvania......no wonder we have one of the highest rates of alcoholism in the nation. And the cycle will continue....not all of the sloppy drunks downtown on Saturday will be in their early 20s....many will be 30-and-40-somethings stumbling around with their green beads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Why? Because it's made into such a taboo practice around here and this area is full of people who love to break the "rules". If drinking wasn't made into such a Big Deal around here maybe people wouldn't do it so much.

In other areas of the country/world, having a glass of wine with lunch is perfectly acceptable. Around here, you get the stink eye from other people if you do that.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:52 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the bars DO NOT open early in 90% of those cities
I love when internet people make up fake statistics on some half-baked logic.

Quote:
lived in a fla spring break city--the bars DO NOT open early in 90% of those cities except for daytona where there is ALWAYS an open bar somewhere

Besides Daytona, the bars open at 9am in Key West, some bars in south beach are open until 6am and then re-open at 10am. These are only places I have been to, I am sure there are more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Meh. I did my fair share of drinking on WB parade day when I was younger. Good thing you guys don't live in Germany. However would you handle Oktober fest?!
They same way they do here, b*tch and moan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I just don't get why people in this area are so nonchalant about binge drinking...like its no big deal....like when kids get caught drinking around graduation time, the parents will get mad at the police rather than thanking them for possibly saving their lives....but when many parents are also out getting bombed at the bar every week rather than spending time with the family, I guess we shouldn't be surprised. I'm not anti-drinking altogether, but drinking is glorified way too much in Northeastern Pennsylvania......no wonder we have one of the highest rates of alcoholism in the nation. And the cycle will continue....not all of the sloppy drunks downtown on Saturday will be in their early 20s....many will be 30-and-40-somethings stumbling around with their green beads.
You know this isn't a "Scranton or NEPA thing", although I agree that people seem to drink much more here than in other places I lived, the binge party drinking isn't confined to this area.

Have you been to an Eagles game, a NASCAR race, Mardi Gras(in numerous U.S. cities), Cinco de Mayo festivals, Oktoberfests, Musikfest? The list is nearly endless for events that include large group drinking.

I can only guess that if indeed the alcoholism rate is higher here(which from personal observation seems to be the case) it isn't because of a parade. It is more likely because people are trying to drown out the reality of the hell hole they live in.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I can only guess that if indeed the alcoholism rate is higher here(which from personal observation seems to be the case) it isn't because of a parade. It is more likely because people are trying to drown out the reality of the hell hole they live in.
I never said it was BECAUSE of the parade...just that the parade is another symptom of the area's obsession with drinking to excess.

And I'm sure there are more "hellish" places than NEPA that have less of a drinking problem. This area is not bad at all when you look past the poor economy and political corruption. And you would think a poor economy would mean LESS drinking, since on a tight budget, alcohol should be a luxury.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 03-10-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I never said it was BECAUSE of the parade...just that the parade is another symptom of the area's obsession with drinking to excess.

And I'm sure there are more "hellish" places than NEPA that have less of a drinking problem. This area is not bad at all when you look past the poor economy and political corruption. And you would think a poor economy would mean LESS drinking, since on a tight budget, alcohol should be a luxury.
It certainly was implied.

The virtues or lack thereof of living in NEPA has been discussed here, ad nauseum.

Surprisingly, people tend to drink more when living in an economically depressed area. It goes right along with the smoking. People can't pay the rent, but will drink and smoke. I myself don't understand it, other than that they are trying to escape the environment.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
You hit the nail on the head LVN.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:45 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
I love when internet people make up fake statistics on some half-baked logic.

Besides Daytona, the bars open at 9am in Key West, some bars in south beach are open until 6am and then re-open at 10am. These are only places I have been to, I am sure there are more.

They same way they do here, b*tch and moan.

You know this isn't a "Scranton or NEPA thing", although I agree that people seem to drink much more here than in other places I lived, the binge party drinking isn't confined to this area.

Have you been to an Eagles game, a NASCAR race, Mardi Gras(in numerous U.S. cities), Cinco de Mayo festivals, Oktoberfests, Musikfest? The list is nearly endless for events that include large group drinking.

mr. expert on fla bars----those places you mentioned miami and key west are not high on spring break lists and do have all night clubs and restaurants with bars but ONLY ARE COMPOSING MAYBE 10 OR 11% OF FLA'S nitelife with bars--i just am correcting your assumption that all of fla has all nite bars/drinking reputation---i have lived in fla a long time and been thruout the state over the years

btw----there are NO all nite bars in my new area of nepa,yet more drunks on the road here

the other posters have more valid reasons for the increased drinking binges here--it is a very accepted way of life here,and encouraged at times,and has been for many years

have been to nascar,bucs games,mardi gras--yes there is large amts of drinking,but it is monitored and dealt with by local police,security--unlike here

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM

on topic----wilkes barre parade is definitely more family oriented with less out of control people

Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
mr. expert on fla bars----those places you mentioned miami and key west are not high on spring break lists and do have all night clubs and restaurants with bars but ONLY ARE COMPOSING MAYBE 10 OR 11% OF FLA'S nitelife with bars--i just am correcting your assumption that all of fla has all nite bars/drinking reputation---i have lived in fla a long time and been thruout the state over the years
Maybe it has been awhile since you went on Spring break in Florida? Considering that according to this list, Daytona, S. Beach/Miami and the Florida Keys, rank 3rd, 4th, & 5th for 2011 Florida spring break destinations.

Florida Spring Break 2011 - Spring Break in Florida 2011

btw, in my earlier comment, I said "Florida bars open early for spring break" I didn't mean to imply every bar in the state opens early. my apologies for the confusion, I should of qualified it with "some".

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe it has been awhile since you went on Spring break in Florida? Considering that according to this list, Daytona, S. Beach/Miami and the Florida Keys, rank 3rd, 4th, & 5th for 2011 Florida spring break destinations.

Florida Spring Break 2011 - Spring Break in Florida 2011

btw, in my earlier comment, I said "Florida bars open early for spring break" I didn't mean to imply every bar in the state opens early. my apologies for the confusion, I should of qualified it with "some".

been 2 years since i left my spring break oriented town--feels like 10--ps my spring breaks were always spent earning money(no rich parents ike the majority of breakers now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania