U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:14 PM

26,223 posts, read 45,899,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
First off nobody ever said that a dog park was a bad idea, but the most expensive dog park in the continental united states is a different story and its only a fenced in field with boulders in the middle.

The Connell Building project is on its financial knees and ready to fail after another corporate reorganization. The 500 Block is finished with all the hoopla and pomp and circumstance of Doherty campaigning in it and its empty.

The projects are HUGE wastes of money and NO white collar family will EVER move into thsi city from the burbs as long as the crime is rising and police and fire protection are being cut. When was the last time you drove by ANY of the scarnton schools to see the demographic changes that are taking place? My son will most likely end up in catholic school for middle school and HS, if we are even here for thqat long. The Abingtons or Tunkhannock areas are looking pretty god dam good right now.

The city is in the crapper and the leaders are doing nothing but stroking each others egos instead of being concerned with the residents and the conditions of the city. This place SUCKs and would never expect anyone to move here nor would I encourage anybody to move here. I would rather tear my house down and build a storage facility for my boats, trucks and toys then sell it, because the only people that are buying homes in this city are scumbags and I would never do that to my neighbors.

You have no idea, you haven't lived here and watched what has happened to this city and no parks, libraries in the middle of a Bario are going to fix this mess. What they will do is waste a monumental amount of tax dollars on nothing, but then again that seems to be the growing trend in this country given the ultra left wing leadership that we have in place.

Hows VA? I'll be in Woodbridge on Friday for business looking forward to the beltway.
Dan, Scranton's biggest hurdle to overcome is its very low self-image. If Scrantonians won't believe that Scranton has a future, then how will any prospective employer or new upstanding family? Your family has had its homestead in the city for probably about a century, and yet even you are ready to abandon ship for Clarks Summit. I would have (and could have) moved to Scranton and become a real "mover and shaker" to try to help make things better, but I, too, got burned and didn't think it would be worth the fight (not to mention I got duped by the "enticing" NoVA salary that is a pittance compared to the outrageous cost-of-living here). The reason why I still annoyingly stalk the Scranton Times-Tribune's web site daily and harass some of the Legion of Doom members is because for as much as I disapprove of the negative aspects of the city the Scranton area will always feel like home, and I hate to see so many short-sighted people spouting such vitriol about it because all that does is make it even tougher to "sell" to newcomers who could save it.

Where I live now every other person drives a BMW or Audi, a typical single-family detached home costs $500,000, everyone has at least a Bachelor's Degree, and people give hundreds of dollars weekly trying to outdo each other at church. This area may have Dolce & Gabbana, Ruth's Chris, and Armani plastered all over it, but I find myself escaping to Fredericksburg, Winchester, Harper's Ferry, and other locales about an hour away from me nearly every weekend for a taste of nostalgia, charm, and soul. Scranton, for all of its warts, had a lot of character, and it was a city you felt like you could grow old with. Where I live now it's just a huge revolving door where people don't really get to "know" one another. All I see around me are parking lots, traffic jams, cul-de-sacs, and chain stores/restaurants. Imagine merging Dickson City with South Abington Township and then spreading that mess out for miles and miles and you have most of NoVA.

I will return someday, and it won't be because I couldn't handle "life in the big city" either. It's because I'm realizing that is it really worth earning six-figures by age 30 if you don't love where you live? Scranton/Wilkes-Barre oozes potential out of every pore, but as long as 90% of the population cares only about patching potholes or picking up trash and nothing else, then it will never fully be reborn.

For as much as you and many others in Scranton think any investment in Downtown Scranton is a complete waste of tax dollars bear in mind that MOST people factor the condition of their city's core in as one criterion when relocating. For me I chose Reston, VA as my home because it was the most "urban" place I could afford on my own; it is roughly the same size as Scranton and has a tight cluster of mid-rise buildings. Others chose Reston for that same reason. If Scranton truly had a "hip" downtown with lots of bookstores, coffee shops, dive bars for local bands, nightclubs, ethnic restaurants, retail, etc., then people would inevitably start moving into and gentrifying nearby neighborhoods, many of which are visibly distressed (think Pinebrook). The reason right now why I'd choose Wilkes-Barre over Scranton is because while it may have higher crime it also has a more compact and lively downtown atmosphere.

What is killing Scranton?
1.) Low self-image that has led to a terrible external image as well
2.) Crippling wage tax
3.) Oppressive mercantile taxes
4.) Undereducated workforce that makes it difficult to attract better employers who will bring more $$$ into the region
5.) "Brain Drain" (with nobody who sees it as a problem, let alone wants to try to stop it)
6.) Political corruption (not ONLY on the mayor's side, but on the side of the new "super council" as well)
7.) Urban sprawl

I have solid ideas that would greatly help the city to reverse all seven of these (and others). The problem? Nobody cares. I felt like I would never be able to make a difference, which is why I chose Virginia over Scranton. Someday I'd like to return though and try to "fix" things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,283,743 times
You're right Paul, I really don't care about Scranton making a return. As we speak, I'm looking at houses in Olyphant and Madisonville so I can finally get the hell out of here. There is nothing wrong with someone choosing Clarks Summit or the Moscow area. They have so much more to offer than Scranton. I would never buy a house in the city and continue to have to pay the silly wage tax. Once I leave Scranton I will never look back and miss it, because I really don't care about it in the first place.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM

15,292 posts, read 11,537,513 times
LOL...You hate Scranton as much as I hate Sarasota...wanna trade houses ;-)

Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 AM

3,234 posts, read 4,283,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
LOL...You hate Scranton as much as I hate Sarasota...wanna trade houses ;-)
It's not such much that I hate Scranton, I'm just indifferent to it. I'm not originally from this area, so I really have no allegiance to it. Everyone want to build it up to something it's not, when in reality, Scranton was, is and is always going to be the same. You either accept it or leave and I'm choosing to leave because I never really wanted to end up here in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania