U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM

4,206 posts, read 2,734,810 times
Default “I-80 tolls rejected by feds”

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100407/NEWS/4070360/-1/news16
I have been fighting against this new proposed toll/tax. I am glad to hear that it was rejected. I am in favor of creative ways to bring revenue into our infrastructure. I think that we can raise revenue without making it painful for our citizens. PA owns many acres of unused and not fully developed property. This represents potential revenue in the form of leases. We have more land than is needed for lane expansion in the medium strips of some of our interstates. We have PA owned rest areas - that could be leased and provide better services than our state run rest areas. We have some state game land that is inaccessible to the average sportsman/woman or environmentalist. Some of this acreage could enhance the use of the state land and provide services for the interstates as well as jobs and revenue.
When the economy is down; you don’t ask for more. Learn to think outside the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM

884 posts, read 1,302,588 times
Or we could simply put tolls on I-95 as it runs through southeastern PA, just as Delaware and New Jersey, hte two adjacent states, do as it runs through their states, and as Maryland and New York also do, (on the tunnels and bridges I-95 uses).

Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,031,590 times
How about we just drill for shale gas in the median?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM

12,290 posts, read 12,359,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100407/NEWS/4070360/-1/news16
I have been fighting against this new proposed toll/tax. I am glad to hear that it was rejected. I am in favor of creative ways to bring revenue into our infrastructure. I think that we can raise revenue without making it painful for our citizens. PA owns many acres of unused and not fully developed property. This represents potential revenue in the form of leases. We have more land than is needed for lane expansion in the medium strips of some of our interstates. We have PA owned rest areas - that could be leased and provide better services than our state run rest areas. We have some state game land that is inaccessible to the average sportsman/woman or environmentalist. Some of this acreage could enhance the use of the state land and provide services for the interstates as well as jobs and revenue.
When the economy is down; you don’t ask for more. Learn to think outside the box.
1. Adding more lanes to a highway doesn't help with congestion , you need alt types of transport Bus , rail , light rail in cities. Adding more lanes to a highway makes congestion worse.

2. Northern PA has been getting away without paying for alot of there infrastructure costs for too long , I-476 isn't enough. certain parts of I-80 need to be tolled to pay for there up keep costs.

3. Some Land that PA owns is unsafe to use or unstable to build on.

4. some Medians of interstates will become high speed or regular rail corridors as its cheaper to buy and build in them.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM

904 posts, read 1,255,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I respectfully disagree-- thinking tolls is thinking outside the box in this country. And it's sensible.

I-80 is often congested, and it wastes enormous amounts of people's time waiting in traffic. Better to put a price on that time and on the limited road space. Since time is money in a way, the toll will end up increasing value,by saving more time value than $ spent on the tolls. The saved time boosts productivity and is actually a benefit to the economy. And, the revenue for maintenance and other projects is an added bonus.

Plus, I just don't think trucks driving through the state should have a free ride. I hope they'll amend the proposal to comply with federal requirements, and submit it again as soon as they can.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM

20 posts, read 20,381 times
horrible idea

Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM

884 posts, read 1,302,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2. Northern PA has been getting away without paying for alot of there infrastructure costs for too long , I-476 isn't enough. certain parts of I-80 need to be tolled to pay for there up keep costs.
I think you're way off the mark here. Something in the 60% to 80% range, last I read, of the I-80 tolls were going to go elsewhere.

It is easy to say the money was to go to mass transit in Philly and Pittsburgh, but the reality is more like a broad mix across the southern part of the state, in places like Lancaster, Harrisburg, York, the Lehigh Valley, as well as Philly and Pittsburgh.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:08 PM

35,683 posts, read 53,435,665 times
You'll pay for it one way or another whether it's tolls, gas taxes, or out of the general fund. At least with tolling there's a direct connection between use and cost. While people grumble about tolls, IMO they're no more insidious than hiding the cost through indirect taxation -- and arguably, they're less so.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM

13,306 posts, read 12,990,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PODS guy View Post
horrible idea
I agree.....
Remember when the lottery was to go towards schools....

Old 04-07-2010, 04:37 PM

12,290 posts, read 12,359,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I think you're way off the mark here. Something in the 60% to 80% range, last I read, of the I-80 tolls were going to go elsewhere.

It is easy to say the money was to go to mass transit in Philly and Pittsburgh, but the reality is more like a broad mix across the southern part of the state, in places like Lancaster, Harrisburg, York, the Lehigh Valley, as well as Philly and Pittsburgh.
Yes the Majority of the mass transit / Rail Upgrade / Expansion projects will be in the Southern part of the state with the exception of the Lackawanna High Speed rail / regional rail corridor. But thats due to the fact that there is lots of nimby and lack of planning in the North. Btw the Lehigh Valley isn't getting much its due to lack of planning , only to line restorations.....sadly these issues will hurt your growth and future investments......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania