U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 AM

66 posts, read 169,560 times
Default What to do when you hit a deer?

3 times I almost hit a deer within a year's time. I'm not used to living in a place where there are so many deer and you see dead deer on the side of the road. Anyway, I just want to be prepared in case anything would happen (I really hope and pray it never does).

What are the laws/rules for if you were to hit a deer? If there is no real damage do you still have to call the police and report it? Will my insurance go up if I have to make a claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,387,789 times
I start up the Barbeque ..

LOL

Yes you need a police report for the insurance

Old 05-06-2010, 05:39 AM

9,228 posts, read 7,487,120 times
I whammed one a little over 16 yrs. ago... it was an 8 point buck. Totally wrecked my car, too. My husbands cousin took the deer to feed his family. My Dad was kinda bummed, because he's hunted his whole life and I got the 8 pointer just by driving on a foggy night..

Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM

4,084 posts, read 5,466,193 times
Throw it in the trunk and call the butcher when you get up.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 AM

10,030 posts, read 15,378,233 times
You don't have to call the police if there is no real damage, you don't need to file an insurance claim and the car can be moved.

My husband has hit three or four deer and I've hit one. Actually, I might have hit two but I closed my eyes at the moment of impact and didn't see the actual hit, and both deer were gone in the second it took to come to a complete stop. My accident happened years ago when we lived in upstate NY and the only "officer" that came out was a game control officer who would have put the deer out of his misery if we had found it in pain. My car looked pretty bad but we never did find the deer. The deer's that my husband has hit here in PA (he also hit one in NY) just caused minor damage to the front or side of the car and the car was able to be banged out and the paint touched up.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:52 AM

116 posts, read 183,422 times
If you hit a deer, you hope for no damage to your car. Inspect your vehicle for damage. Be wary of deer during peak movement times, early am and dusk. The police report is only necessary for the insurance company, the deer carry no insurance so you can't sue them for damages.

Please move the deer carcass to the side of the road so I don't hit it with my motorcycle.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:01 AM

87 posts, read 155,949 times
Let me give you the facts of how deer accidents work.

#1 if the deer jumps out and you swerve and wreck without hitting the deer. Your insurance will open a claim under collision not comprehensive. Comp is for things like vandals, fire, theft, acts of god (deer, trees falling..etc). So always hit the deer if there is a chance you will wreck. Of course if the deer is standing in the road and you can simply stop.. that is the best choice. The claim adjuster will need to see hair on the vehicle.

#2 If the car can be driven away and no humans are injured, you are free to go on your way. You do not need to call anyone. If the deer is still alive, it would be moral of you to call the police so they can take care of it. Unless you have your own means and are willing to finish the job. I prefer to finish the job myself.. quicker and the animal does not suffer. I always carry a sharp knife to do so.

#3 if the deer meat is still considered good. It is best to either take the deer and you can drop it off at a food shelter for processing, they will feed people with it. Or feel free to take it for yourself. There are many butchers in the area that will send you back home with a nice freezer full. If the deer meat is good (a bit of time hunting and you can tell) I usually just take the meat home and butcher myself.. only takes me about an hour to skin, cut wash and wrap.

If you want nothing to do with it, at least call the police and ask them to get in touch with the game commission. Families are always in need of meat and would be thankful.

None of the above applies to squirrel, rabbit, birds (unless it is a nice fat turkey), rodents or coyotes.

And remember, you are in the country.. all of this might sound harsh.. but it is a way of life for many who have lived our entire lives here. I like to think that if the super markets shut down tomorrow.. I would still be very happy to feed my family from the land.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:51 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,601,548 times
Lets see, I've killed about 3 deer with the car, and "car-bumped" about 3 others in my life time. All in NEPA.

My first deer-car kill came when I was 16 driving myself and my little brother to school. I hit it about 1 mile from my house. I think I broke both of its front legs. When I pulled off to see what the damage was, my little bro and I saw the guy who lived there come out of his barn with a crowbar. He just walked up to it and whacked it 3 or 4 times. Then he took it back to his barn. We knew the guy (he was our neighbor after all) so its not as creepy as it sounds. But I swear that incident traumatize my little brother for years after that.

3 years later, I nailed a 10 point, same exact spot. Beautiful animal. Totaled the car. I walked home to tell my Dad. When we went back about 20 minutes later, someone had already taken the buck. I bet somewhere someone mounted that poor sucker and will brag to his grandchildren of that big buck he shot the summer of 1995.

My advice, learn the deer areas that you travel slow down a little and be on the lookout. And always drive straight. Swerving usually means you end up hitting them as they run. Usually.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM

4,191 posts, read 2,705,366 times
Gifted1,
More people get in trouble trying to avoid hitting deer. Do not swerve quickly to avoid a collision. Hitting a tree or flipping your vehicle can kill you much quicker than hitting a deer. Just try to stop in a safe manner if possible.
Be mentally prepared for what might happen if you do hit and wound or kill a deer. A wounded deer can let out a baa sound and it might haunt you for quite some time. Like others have said; you can call the Game Commission to put the animal out of it’s misery. That process can take hours (if you can reach anybody). A good blow to the head with a trusty 20 ounce ball-peen hammer or a knife to the jugular vein will do the job quickly. I know that this sounds cruel - but it will put the animal out of it’s misery quickly.
You should call the Game Commission if you take the deer for meat. Our Game Commission (I think) does not want anybody to take deer for their horns. Taking deer for the meat is fine; as long as you notify them of your accident. Also; do not take a deer that you ran over the deer’s intestines - the smell permeates the meat and makes it impossible to eat.
I hope that I did not give you more information than you wanted? In general; there are fewer deer today than we have had in the past. That does not mean that one will not run in front of you and that you can avoid hitting the animal. Deer can do thousands of dollars of damge to your vehicle. Your insurance company should be able to answer your guestion about your rates going up.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM

13,306 posts, read 12,948,175 times
Well, we came very close to crashing into the big black bear this week in NJ. He was only 20 feet in front of us crossing the road. That would have not been good.
I know we have on our insurance for hitting a dear, but a bear???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania