U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

At the end of August My Girlfriend and I will be moving to Pittston and I was wondering if I can get so questions answered.

1. We will be staying with y cousin for awhile so we are most likely moving without a job. ( I know probably a dumb idea but I have no more vacation time left at work to come down for interviews.) so, my question is how are the employment agencies down there? (ie. Manpower) I know up here they could really care less. And if so is it hard to find a job (willing to do most anything)

2. When we decide to get our own place what is the average rent for a good size nice one bedroom Apt.?

any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Eric VanDuzer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 07:14 PM

31,434 posts, read 70,320,132 times
Good evening Eric,

I'm sorry I didn't find your thread sooner; it apparently got lost in the sea of Scranton political bickering that now seems to be dominating the NEPA sub-forum. LOL! I'm a lifelong resident of the area. I grew up in Pittston and moved with my family to the suburb of Pittston Township at the age of nine, so I'm pretty well-equipped to address any and all inquiries you might have about this community.

As far as your direct questions are concerned:

1.) I have no idea. I've never dealt with Manpower, so I honestly can't help you out here. Sorry!

2.) A typical rent for a decent-sized one-bedroom apartment in Pittston or its inner suburbs might run you $300-$400 per month, including most utilities and property taxes (which are paid by the landlord).

Otherwise, Pittston is blessed to have the most convenient location in the entire metropolitan area. We're equidistant from either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, being only about fifteen minutes from each. I-476 and I-81 each have major interchanges right in our community. The adjoining suburbs of Jenkins Township and Pittston Township are each amongst the ten fastest-growing communities in Luzerne County, and this can be seen very easily with a lot of new residential subdivisions and businesses under construction or in the planning stages. The downtown business district of Pittston itself is kind of a "letdown," as a lot of Main Street has seen better days. Just across the river is West Pittston, which is a very walkable, tree-lined community with historic homes. A new major penthouse condo project is planned for the waterfront which is expected to serve as a catalyst for economic growth downtown.

Also downtown is a great public library, CVS Pharmacy, Rite-Aid Pharmacy, Cooper's Seafood Restaurant, churches, the post office, city hall, Domino's Pizza, Papa John's Pizza, and various mom-and-pop stores, restaurants, and medical/professional offices. The town has a rather large drug problem, but for the most part the addicts keep to themselves.

It's truly not a bad place to live; if they could clean up the downtown a bit it will look phenomenal.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:21 AM

18 posts, read 75,292 times
I'm from Pittston and GOOD CHOICE for picking here to live! Where are you moving to here from? We lack too much diversity, but we're getting there. Otherwise is a nice, friendly town to live in.

Downtown you can get a shabby 1/2 double for about $500, a good one for about $700. The rare fine are single houses for anywhere between $600-900 Many apartments are about $400.

I wouldn't suggest downtown, it's ok to go down to to get things done and there's definately a lot there, but I wouldn't really want to live there. I suggest get a map b/c there are good areas and bad areas. I'll start with downtown. Searle Street area (there are 2 great nice sized 1 bedroom apts down there, where I lived previously... the same guy who owns them owns Brew's Brothers on River St. I suggest you try and get one if available, but he doesn't advertise so you'll have to go look) but that area over all is pretty good. Stay away from the river, the closer you get the worse it gets. However there is a good area by Coopers, lots of older people who keep it nice and hasn't been over run. Stay away from Junction, you're friend lives here so they'll know where that is. Jenkins Township is a good area, if you can find a place. Parsons, not so great. Then you get into the better areas Pittston Twp (which I rent the only rentable house, and there are about 5-10 apartments) but once again, no one advertises, so you have to drive/walk around and talk to people. Say hi to people in their yards and ask if they know of anywhere. Yatesville, is the same way! Great area but everyone knows everyone so they use word of mouth.

Theres some nice areas around Pittston as well: parts of Avoca (West Avoca and places off Main Street) Dupont is great area, like the better parts of Pittston and you'll find ads... Laflin (you can get a Townhouse in a development for $800-$1000)....

Hope that helps! My advice is to buy the Times-Leader and ask around. You might get lucky! Drive around and if you see a moving truck, as if they rent and who their landlord is. Places go fast and most of the time you never even know about it. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 AM

18 posts, read 75,292 times
I forgot to add that all my price quotes are without utilities for the most part. Sometimes in old doubles, some might be included but don't expect to find places where you don't have to pay at least some utilties! And look for electric heat... it's a less of hassle and costs about the same as oil in an apartment.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 AM

142 posts, read 543,224 times
From what I've seen there are plenty of jobs in this area..No prob. there..

Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,461 times
If you need a great 1 bedroom, my friend had renovated and getting ready to rent it out. I lived there for 6 months and loved it. Very affordable. alieduff@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania