U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 PM

837 posts, read 1,613,577 times

Advertisements

Background info:

Budget: $800 - $900K ideally + some wiggle room
Target product: SFH, 3 to 4 bd, perhaps townhouse in certain areas if worthwhile
Work location: Tysons (w/ semi-flexible hours, e.g. 9.30am start would be ok), but anywhere we end up needs to be within reach of DC
Goal: Tour areas that could be feasible to live in, get a flavour of some of whats out there, stop by an open house or two (just to compare what your money buys you)

Here's my intended tour routing:

North of Georgetown near 35th street and wisconsin. Mostly townhomes, but nice and very high walkscores. Dont know what this area is called?
From there to Palisades area
Then to glen echo
Over to 495, show her Wolf Trap area
Down through Vienna, tour some locations there
Over into Mclean, hit up a few side streets perhaps stop for lunch somewhere (suggestions?)
West to Falls Church, tour East / West areas
Back over into North Arlington, hit up cherrydale / lyon village / clarendon, ballston, etc areas

At a high level, the route is something like this:

Wisconsin Ave NW & 35th St NW, Washington, DC 20007 to 511 N Lincoln St, Arlington, VA 22201 - Google Maps

What do you guys think? Good tour? Is there somewhere else that I should specifically hit up that I'm overlooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,354,435 times
Good luck! I love Capri in McLean for lunch

Oh, and Great Falls is lovely...next to Tyson's.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,526,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Oh, and Great Falls is lovely...next to Tyson's.
I agree - after leaving Glenn Echo - exit 495 at Georgetown Pike - go west until Towlston Road and then head South - take Trap Road to Beulah to connect to your route.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 PM

2,670 posts, read 4,519,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post

North of Georgetown near 35th street and wisconsin. Mostly townhomes, but nice and very high walkscores. Dont know what this area is called?
You might be talking about Burleith.

If you don't want to live around university students, that is not the right area for you. They aren't the only ones who live there, but there are some.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,634,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
You might be talking about Burleith.

If you don't want to live around university students, that is not the right area for you. They aren't the only ones who live there, but there are some.
Yeah, Burleith is full of large group houses and there is a lot of "town-gown" tension. Here are some articles that may be of interest:

Neighborhood Watch: Burleith Database Tracks Unruly GU Students
Burleith: The idyllic little neighborhood that you're ruining
Burleith Joins Opposition to Georgetown Campus Plan

According to one of those articles, 135 out of 531 houses in Burleith are student rentals. Some of those rentals are owned by absentee slumlords. When I was a student at GU, I knew a lot of people who lived in Burleith in barely habitable townhouses with six or more roommates, plus illegal subletting in the basement, etc. Since cars are hard to deal with in that area, some houses rent out their backyard driveways as parking for grad students while in class - so more traffic and noise in the alleys. Crackdowns on on-campus partying means that the really good parties are off-campus; if you find a place you're really interested in, check it out late on a Friday or Saturday night. I certainly wouldn't spend the kind of money it takes to own something in that area - as some like to point out, the school has been there since 1789, so if you buy a house you can't pretend you didn't know what you were getting yourself into.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,400,674 times
Hmm... I'm thinking quite a few of those letters (particularly the Fairfax County ones) will make you and your wife hurl once you get up close and personal with them. Expect lots of "Eek, ohmigod, what the hell is this place" sort of commentary as you drive around.

(To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, so to speak, I grew up in the old part of Naperville, have spent tons of time throughout my life in other western and northern suburbs of Chicago, lived in Evanston for a few years, and use my parents' Lincoln Park condo (on North Lakeview Ave.) as a sort of second home.. heh.)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-10-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 PM

837 posts, read 1,613,577 times
Alicia,

Indeed, I do expect quite a bit of that "uhhhh WTF" kind of reaction.... and that's ok. I've been telling my wife that Palisades / Mclean and North Arlington are the areas we should focus on (given exactly what you brought up) but she wants to see 'all options'.... so we shall.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 PM

696 posts, read 1,495,632 times
I don't have anything to add, but LOVE your approach. I hope the visit goes well.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,338,550 times
The only place I would add is Chevy Chase, and I agree that I would skip Burleith as it's not the best for a family.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-11-2010, 06:05 AM

577 posts, read 1,783,735 times
I really liked living in Falls Church. The area that is the actual "City of Falls Church" is nice. The houses are mostly older ones, but very nice. The neighborhoods are safe and filled with trees, there is easy access to walking trails and the Metro (subway) and it is close to Tyson's. If an older home, either renovated or you could renovate, is appealing to you, check out Falls Church. Generally the best parts are along Route 7 between Route 50 and 66 with the other borders being 29 (Lee Highway) and Powhatan St. The Powhatan side is where FC meets Arlington and that area is nice as well.

However, if your wife is anticipating a new-ish home other areas might have more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia