Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM

7 posts, read 22,227 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Arlington for a job that starts in August. It's super close to the Ballston Metro Stop, so I've been trying to find a place close by to save on the commute cost. I live far away, I've been doing all of my searching online, however, most of the reviews that I've read for apartments in my price range have at least one complaint of rodents, cockroaches, or bedbugs. My price range is 1200-1400 for a 1-2 bedroom apartment. Anyone have any apartment building suggestions that are safe and not infested? If there isn't one in my price range, what areas would be against traffic when going towards the Ballston metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
First, you have to take online reviews with a grain of salt. No matter how nice an apartment building, you will always have 4x as many people posting negative reviews than positive ones. It's just human nature.

Second, that's a low budget for a nice place in the Ballston area. The desirable high rises near the metro are going to run closer to $1800 for a 1br place (and remember that you'll pay extra for parking).

If you don't care about having metro access outside your door, you might look in south arlington, near the intersection of glebe/395. It'd be a straight shot up Glebe to work in the morning. The Park at Arlington Ridge seemed really nice when we toured it, and they just built a new building along 395 there (forget the name). It's not as convenient of an area as ballston, but it's much cheaper. I'd say Crystal City might be a good alternative too (as it'd be a reverse commute out 66 to Ballston in the morning), but I'm not sure what $1400 will get you there. I think it's probably worth looking at though. I really like the convenience of that area.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM

259 posts, read 510,276 times
Also remember this as far as infestations go...even with a pretty good extermination schedule, a few untidy residents can be the cause of insect infestations. Since apartments are connected, if the tenant above, below, or beside you is unkempt in his/her housecleaning and attracts roaches, then guess what? You are at risk for the lil buggers yourself. That might not be the case at all for tenants in other units. 'Tis the luck of the draw nature of apartment living. Even in the pricier apartment complexes this can happen, income and socio-economic status does not necessarily indicate cleanliness.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 22,227 times
Thank you guys for the insight! I'm guessing it might be best to see them for myself and try and cram as many viewings as possible in one day. I'll definitely take a look at Crystal City and Arlington Ridge. Do you think I'd have better luck finding a non-company place, like a townhouse or private rental?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:17 AM

313 posts, read 551,423 times
Do you think I'd have better luck finding a non-company place, like a townhouse or private rental?

Absolutely. Look on Craigslist for individual owners. More often than not they are willing to work with you.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
Thank you guys for the insight! I'm guessing it might be best to see them for myself and try and cram as many viewings as possible in one day. I'll definitely take a look at Crystal City and Arlington Ridge. Do you think I'd have better luck finding a non-company place, like a townhouse or private rental?
You won't find a townhouse for $1200-1400, but you might find a small condo somewhere. Definitely check out craigslist, as suggested.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,777 times
Also, avoid any building with even 1 mention of bedbugs...you'll end up throwing away half of your furniture and eventually paying to move (since they're almost impossible to eradicate in an apt situation). Roaches and mice, although also disgusting, can be dealt with easier and more cheaply.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM

214 posts, read 487,775 times
You can also check the building on the bedbug registry website.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 AM

11 posts, read 46,468 times
There's a condo called "The Continental" a block from the Ballston metro. It's a high rise and it was built around 2004. It's really clean and has nice amenities. But for the $1200-$1400 range, you might get a studio or a 1bd there but not a 2bd. If you really want a 2bd, check other condos around the Ballston metro stop. Condo owners tend to advertise on their condo common area bulletin boards, then on dc craigslist, and lastly through area realtors. Google arlington condo and see which ones come up that are convenient to your workplace, and just visit the buildings to check out their bulletin boards. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia