Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times

Advertisements

Because after dealing with years of being stuck in Maryland and moving to DC after being in Northern VA, I'm coming to the realization that people in NoVA (and even Arlington by comparison) are hardly as stuck up, snooty, and nasty as the people in DC and Maryland. Between the yuppies who have to compensate for not being in the upper class echelon with "$40,000 Millionaire attitudes," the preps whose egos are fueled by their parents money, and the ghetto fabulous locals who are so "hood rich," this is something that I noticed isn't as rampant when I cross the Potomac River, and it isn't even as bad in places like Arlington and Alexandria. And I find the worst places aren't even places like Georgetown and Chevy Chase, but the "hip" places like U Street and Columbia Heights, both of which has the collection of some of the most arrogant snobs (yes, more than Georgetown)!

Is it because they look down on everyone who isn't on their level? Is it because they can afford to live in some overpriced condo that was plopped in the middle of the quasi-hood? Is it because they're so insecure about not being able to afford Georgetown? Is it because they can buy the latest clothes and shoes? Is it because they comforted by their clique by conforming into the stereotypical hipster/yuppie/wannabe gangsta roles? I want answers.

I apologize for bringing up such a touchy thread like this given that this thread has been peaceful for some time without someone going all emo. But the part of DC I'm close to is just a complete contradicting mess in more ways than one. Just wanted to know if anyone else notices this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
I would say the variation between nabes is bigger than the variation between jurisdictions. I mean Gaithersburg isn't Potomac, just as Annandale isn't Great Falls. And even within nabes there is plenty of varation - we have met folks from Great Falls who aren't all that stuck up (its been years since I've really spent any time with anyone from Potomac, so I won't comment)

The whole hipster thing is its own subculture I guess.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:06 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Interestingly enough, there has been discussion on this forum about the would-be "snob factor" on this side of the river, particularly among younger professionals.

Perhaps, as the previous poster said, it's a symptom of trendy twentysomethings trying to impress one another.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:42 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Interestingly enough, there has been discussion on this forum about the would-be "snob factor" on this side of the river, particularly among younger professionals.

Perhaps, as the previous poster said, it's a symptom of trendy twentysomethings trying to impress one another.
That could be the case, but it seems that the "trendy twenty-something" crowd is the only crowd that exists, or at least the predominant one in this city.

But even in that case, I noticed the people in the same age range aren't as unfriendly and stuck-up as their DC (and certain Maryland) counterparts.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:51 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
I found while working in DC that summer intern season is particularly awful in this regard.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Because after dealing with years of being stuck in Maryland and moving to DC after being in Northern VA, I'm coming to the realization that people in NoVA (and even Arlington by comparison) are hardly as stuck up, snooty, and nasty as the people in DC and Maryland. Between the yuppies who have to compensate for not being in the upper class echelon with "$40,000 Millionaire attitudes," the preps whose egos are fueled by their parents money, and the ghetto fabulous locals who are so "hood rich," this is something that I noticed isn't as rampant when I cross the Potomac River, and it isn't even as bad in places like Arlington and Alexandria. And I find the worst places aren't even places like Georgetown and Chevy Chase, but the "hip" places like U Street and Columbia Heights, both of which has the collection of some of the most arrogant snobs (yes, more than Georgetown)!

Is it because they look down on everyone who isn't on their level? Is it because they can afford to live in some overpriced condo that was plopped in the middle of the quasi-hood? Is it because they're so insecure about not being able to afford Georgetown? Is it because they can buy the latest clothes and shoes? Is it because they comforted by their clique by conforming into the stereotypical hipster/yuppie/wannabe gangsta roles? I want answers.

I apologize for bringing up such a touchy thread like this given that this thread has been peaceful for some time without someone going all emo. But the part of DC I'm close to is just a complete contradicting mess in more ways than one. Just wanted to know if anyone else notices this.
Fairfaxian, with all due respect, you come from MD which is pretty bad snootiness and nastiness. Now is NoVA better in this regard? Yes. That doesn't mean that there isn't an considerable element of snotheadedness in Northern VA. This subject is like comparing a F2 vs a F3 tornado. One is less dangerous but you don't want to see either coming at your house.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:20 AM

203 posts, read 278,728 times
I actually dont think the area is all that snooty. In general, I think it is the result of the international and transient nature of the area. When I visit Tennessee and Ohio, people are interested in getting to know you and be friendly. The fast food and other service workers white or black and often very young and speak English. Here, people come and go and move around very often. There are a lot of international people, many of whom dont speak English very well. I think a lot of people remain distant from others outside their clique because they want to be around like-minded people and are too used to people coming and going so quickly. I think a lot of what people complain about the Novans is related to this.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:29 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
. . . And I find the worst places aren't even places like Georgetown and Chevy Chase, but the "hip" places like U Street and Columbia Heights, both of which has the collection of some of the most arrogant snobs . . . Is it because they look down on everyone who isn't on their level? Is it because they can afford to live in some overpriced condo that was plopped in the middle of the quasi-hood? Is it because they're so insecure about not being able to afford Georgetown? Is it because they can buy the latest clothes and shoes? Is it because they comforted by their clique by conforming into the stereotypical hipster/yuppie/wannabe gangsta roles? I want answers.
Yes, to most of maybe most of these questions (IMO). Wannabes trying to show how cool they are by looking/acting like they're artists, writers, and musicians when in reality, they are not. I am always surprised by people who live like struggling artists when they're not even in the field. When I was in art school, we really did have a tough time just trying to make ends meet. We went to Salvation Army, Goodwill, and military surplus clothing stores and created/designed new clothes --- not pay alot of $$ at a place like Urban Outfitters that sells torn up clothes and rags.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:04 AM

219 posts, read 472,235 times
I think it must be a time-of-life thing. Funny story: my sister and I both moved to the area after college. I moved to Arlington and she moved to the Hill. Went to a party at her apartment which was heavily attended by local alumni of her liberal arts school - lots of wannabe artsy folk and budding non-profit careers. At one point, two DC-native women at the party pigeon-holed me with looks of frozen horror on their faces like they were observing a mutant roach.

The first one said, in just the way you might ask if somebody chose to live in a leper colony, 'So you apparently live in Arlington?!'
The second one said 'Why do you live waaay out there?'
And they continued to interrogate me like that for a while and then shunned me. I couldn't believe their behavior. Luckily the rest of the party was fun.
My sister reassured me later that they were classmate acquaintances and not friends of hers - a relief to me that her judgment was intact, because her friends are generally much nicer than that.

So you see, far from being snobby, to some DCites, NoVans are rude hicks with hay in their hair, yes even Arlington dwellers.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM

66 posts, read 130,959 times
I have to agree with them a little. If you are young and single or just single, you should live in DC. It is a lot of fun and the people at parties are much more interesting, simply because their lives are more transient, also every thing you need is a couple metro stops away, no car needed. The burbs are for people with kids who need schools etc. People who live in the burbs aren't hicks, they are just people who live in the burbs and eat at chain restaurants and have routine lives.... I know, I am one of them now, but when I was single I loved DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia