Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 AM

96 posts, read 261,646 times

Advertisements

I've been looking on the Virignia DMV sites to get this answer but cannot seem to find the answer. We have a permanent home in Santa Fe, NM and a temporary home in Arlington, Va. We will be here for a year maybe two but we are not always here. We are back in NM for weeks at a time. We plan on leaving one of our vehicles in VA. We know that we need to register it in VA and will do so, but my questions is, do we have to get a Virginia driver's license to register our vehicle in VA? I will be in NM more than VA so I don't want to give up my NM license since my car there is registered in NM. Does anyone happen to know the answer? I do know that in NM, you must have a NM driver's license to register your vehicle in NM. Thanks in advance for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:49 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Probably best to contact someone at the DMV either by phone or in person to get the answer. You're going to have to talk to them at some point anyway.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM

652 posts, read 1,303,789 times
My husband and I have FL drivers' licenses with cars registered in VA. But we're also military so there might be an exclusion involved.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,239,254 times
The legal answer is that if spend the majority of your time in Virginia then you should get a VA license. The honest answer is that go with which state has the cheapest insurance and tax rates. Been here a good while and still haven't switched to VA because things always seem to come up. I use my parents address and get the stickers mailed to me.

Never had a problem just don't let them expire. Most people I know who got tickets and stuff for not switching let their tags expire or lived in apartment complexes that have police patroling the parking lot. Also some apartment complexes require Virginia registration before giving a parking permit. Honestly if you park your car in a driveway no one will care. So honestly it will depend on where you live in VA. Some places care. I've been fortunate to live in places that don't pay attention to that sort of thing. But if you're going to get Virginia registration you should get a VA license if you don't register your car in Virginia then don't get a Virginia lisence. Just make sure you tell the insurance company. Virginia has remarkably cheaper rates. Yes you can have a New Mexico lisence and registration and say that the car is "garaged" in Virginia. You would have to follow New Mexico registration and insurance rules though.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
You do not need a Virginia license to register the car. The vehicle will need to be titled in VA, however. So, from out of state, you would need your old title, proof of address, etc. If you purchase one in VA to keep in Arlington, there's less hassle since the vehicle will be titled in VA. You will need poof of local address, per DMV requirements such as current utility bill, property tax bill, etc.

It's not that different a situation where one has a car at a summer home and has it registered in a state other than their state of residence. I have done it, myself, but not with Virginia as the secondary jurisdiction.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM

96 posts, read 261,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You do not need a Virginia license to register the car. The vehicle will need to be titled in VA, however. So, from out of state, you would need your old title, proof of address, etc. If you purchase one in VA to keep in Arlington, there's less hassle since the vehicle will be titled in VA. You will need poof of local address, per DMV requirements such as current utility bill, property tax bill, etc.

It's not that different a situation where one has a car at a summer home and has it registered in a state other than their state of residence. I have done it, myself, but not with Virginia as the secondary jurisdiction.
Thanks for the information. Virginia is a tough jurisdiction. I just wonder what other people do that have more than one home. I think my best bet is to title and license the car here in VA, but not relinquish my NM driver's license. I still have a home and vehicle in NM and will be driving there as much as here. If I am not required to get a VA driver's license then that is ok. I don't mind paying VA their taxes since I use VA roads, etc. It's just difficult to accommodate multiple state's requirements. When we go back to NM permanently, we will have to retitle and license the car there again.

All in all; however, it is a real pleasure living in N. Arlington. What a great place.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 19,321 times
terrence81: "Been here a good while and still haven't switched to VA because things always seem to come up. I use my parents address and get the stickers mailed to me."

Tax evasion and insurance fraud - how original. That's some great parenting right there.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,751,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFean View Post
I've been looking on the Virignia DMV sites to get this answer but cannot seem to find the answer. We have a permanent home in Santa Fe, NM and a temporary home in Arlington, Va. We will be here for a year maybe two but we are not always here. We are back in NM for weeks at a time. We plan on leaving one of our vehicles in VA. We know that we need to register it in VA and will do so, but my questions is, do we have to get a Virginia driver's license to register our vehicle in VA? I will be in NM more than VA so I don't want to give up my NM license since my car there is registered in NM. Does anyone happen to know the answer? I do know that in NM, you must have a NM driver's license to register your vehicle in NM. Thanks in advance for any info.

NO. You don't have to because your primary resident isn't in VA. I know this, because I have a house in a different state, and if it wasn't such a hassle, I would actually do my registration there, instead of here.

If you're worried about cops pulling you over and telling you otherwise, from my experience, if this is a temporary residence, cops don't care, as long as your license address is same as your house, and registration. Plus, You're not moving here. If you MOVE to VA as your permanent resident, then you have to register and get a new license within 10 days or something, but if you're a permanent resident of a different state, such as having a house there, then you don't have to.

This is a grey area, and I've searched and searched and asked the DMV, and nobody knows.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
3 year old thread, y'all.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 13,240 times
hey i have a similar scenario my full time home is ny my vacation home is in virginia i will be storing my car at the vacation home and registering in VA. I cant surrender my ny cdl for work reasons. foes anyone know the rule on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia