Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 11,845 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some input on how traffic flows (or maybe doesn't flow?) on 267 and the beltway during the morning and evening rush hours. I am potentially looking at moving to Herndon/Reston/McLean and commuting to Gaithersburg, MD everyday, but I'm not sure if I'd be going with or against most of the traffic. I know the trip up I-270 in MD would be okay, so I'm mostly worried about 267 heading towards Tyson's Corner and the beltway between Tyson's Corner heading towards I-270 during the morning rush hour.

I know this whole area tends to be a mess so I'm probably not looking at a great commute anyway, but any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:26 AM

15 posts, read 45,357 times
I commuted from Centreville to Gaithersburg for two years... 66 obviously you don't want to have to do. The beltway to 270 in the morning is usually not too bad... if anything it will add an extra 10-15 mins in the morning on occassion due to construction (usually right north of the Tysons area).
Try to live as close to the beltway as possible - 267 definitely backs up on days, especially the exit onto 495.
McLean of course would be your best bet, but it's a pricey area. Try Vienna or Falls Church or even Fairfax as they're right off the beltway.
If you're right off the beltway, it can take 30 or 40 mins only. Otherwise you'll be looking at an hour or so. (From Centreville in the morning it was around 1 hr to 1 hr and 10).
Coming home from Gaithersburg to NoVA is MUCH worse than getting there. Not everyday... but some days, especially in the middle of the week, the 270 southbound spur onto 495 backs up all the way at Democracy Blvd or even Montrose Rd. You're looking at 1 hr and 15 or 1.5 hours on some bad days. On average, 45 to 50 mins.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,845 times
Thank you so much! This is a ton of help!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
I live in Gaithersburg and often drive to Ballston during the PM rush hours. Like the other post mentioned, 270/495 often is jammed with traffic from Democracy blvd all the way into Virginia. In the morning 270 is easy. I'm not sure a bout 495 in the morning since it's been a while since I went that way regularly. I know some side routes that sometimes make the trip seem to go quicker, but they are complicated, and the lack of bridges means they don't always work.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:51 AM

9,762 posts, read 15,691,264 times
It's been awhile since I commuted from Vienna to Rockville/Gburg border. But I just wanted to confirm what JLMyers said. I agree with his/her assessment. I do remember also the exit to get onto the Dulles Toll Road from 495 in the afternoon would back up a lot. In general, morning commute is better than afternoon.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,268 times
Any public transportation options to consider here? I know Metro will take me as far as Glenmont. But I'm wondering if there are any other trains that will actually get me into Gburg from NoVa (Burke area). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,502,700 times
The MARC goes to downtown Gaithersburg, but it won't be going that direction in the morning, since it's a reverse commute.

You're going to have to drive.

Or I guess you could take this 30 min bus ride from Shady Grove to downtown Gaithersburg: http://mdtrip.org/DesktopModules/Sch...te=190&User=18.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioDork View Post
Any public transportation options to consider here? I know Metro will take me as far as Glenmont. But I'm wondering if there are any other trains that will actually get me into Gburg from NoVa (Burke area). Thanks in advance for any advice.
Metro can get you to either Rockville or Shady Grove (not Glenmont) where you can catch Ride-On or Metro buses to Gaithersburg. The buses are good up there. I used them all of the time when I lived there. MARC trains from Union Station have 3 stops in the Gaithersburg area. I have no idea where in Gaitherburg you're headed, but you will need a bus from two of those three stops to get anywhere.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,345,272 times
Why are you so adamant on moving to NoVA, esp the further out parts, if your job will be in Gaithersburg?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 PM

163 posts, read 313,183 times
I believe there is not one solution except to add yourself to the highways. There is probably some magic combo using rail and bus but I'm not sure it'll be quicker than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia