Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:07 PM

9 posts, read 17,185 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Fairfax from Maryland this summer. Regardless of where we live in Fairfax daughter can go to Robinson middle/high school because of special resources they have. But she will go 6th grade to local school.

I work near Metro center. Wife is nurse can change to more local work.

So looking for ok commute..i currently use Marc and Metro. Safe neighborhood with children.

It looks like Reston is out because of commute and crime.. is this correct?

Trying to avoid the 95 corridor.

Thinking maybe neighborhoods that feed into Woodson. Could afford less expensive homes in great falls but seems only way is a drive.
Need 3bdr because have older kids that visit.

I need to move fast because of schools, so any ideas appreciated. Good buyers agent?

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,110 times
are you looking to rent or buy a house? what's your budget for housing?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:39 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,052 times
You want your daughter at Robinson, right? I think you need to live in (or near) Burke. She'll want to be near her friends. Some of the kids in Burke go to Robinson and some to Braddock. We may have kids at West Springfield as well...not sure about that one.

My kids are at Braddock, but my daughter could have gone to Robinson. We got a transfer approved to Robinson because she was in the IB Program when we moved to NOVA. At the last minute she changed her mind and went to Braddock.

Burke is very, very, very safe.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,723,290 times
Some rentals:

4637 VALERIE CT, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-SPRINGBROOK+FOREST-ANNANDALE-VA-MRIS-FX7339965 - broken link)

5016 RED FOX DR, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-RED+FOX+FOREST-ANNANDALE-VA-MRIS-FX7354752 - broken link)

8615 DORA CT, ANNANDALE, VA 22003 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-CANTERBURY+WOODS-ANNANDALE-VA-MRIS-FX7350996 - broken link)

Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
You want your daughter at Robinson, right? I think you need to live in (or near) Burke. She'll want to be near her friends. Some of the kids in Burke go to Robinson and some to Braddock. We may have kids at West Springfield as well...not sure about that one.

My kids are at Braddock, but my daughter could have gone to Robinson. We got a transfer approved to Robinson because she was in the IB Program when we moved to NOVA. At the last minute she changed her mind and went to Braddock.

Burke is very, very, very safe.

It sounds like OP's kid might be special needs...in which case, the rules are different. Some SE kids go to "centers" that serve their needs regardless of where they live. I drove an SE bus for a while, and we covered a LOT of ground taking them where they needed to go...sometimes well over an hour each way.

And you're talking about LAKE Braddock, right? Just plain Braddock is an elementary school in Annandale...

Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM

9 posts, read 17,185 times
Thanks to all. car54 is correct my daughter is visually-impaired so regardless of where we live inFairfax she can go to Robinson. But mississippimagnolia is correct that it would be better living in the local school district since she would get to take the "regular" bus and be with the same kids.

Regarding Burke some other post said to stay away from one side. We are planning to buy probably unless we rented unitl we bought something.

Any suggestions places for downtown commute neighborhoods from Burke?

So far I'v e been trolling the short sales.

Thanks,

Old 06-19-2010, 08:11 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromanotherplanet View Post
It looks like Reston is out because of commute and crime.. is this correct?
I can see eliminating Reston for commuting issues but not for crime issues.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:27 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,802 times
You might try the Kings Park West Neighborhood and those surrounding it (backs up to Robinson). There is a commuter bus to the Pentagon that a lot of residents take and then transfer to Metro there. The neighborhood streets are very safe and all have sidewalks for your daughter. Another close neighborhood would be Middleridge. Kings Park West is a Fairfax address, but borders Burke. Not sure what your housing budget is, but there are a lot of rentals in there too.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,382,704 times
Woodson H.S., aside from the Fairfax Station part of the area, will give you an easier commute, since you will not have to contend with Braddock Road. It's much faster to go to the Metro or to get on I-66/Route 50 from areas off Little River Turnpike, and they are not that far removed from Robinson (less than 10 minutes). In the afternoon, Braddock can back up from the University to nearly Burke Station Road on a regular basis.

And, if your wife were to switch to one of the Inova hospitals, Fairfax or Fair Oaks, she would have a pretty easy commute from Woodson. From Robinson, it would not be too arduous, either, though it would add about 10-15 minutes to the trip, each way.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-20-2010, 06:37 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,052 times
Quote:
Regarding Burke some other post said to stay away from one side. We are planning to buy probably unless we rented unitl we bought something.
We've lived in Burke several different times. Unless there is an area that I don't know about, there are no places in Burke to avoid.

We really like the Burke Station Square neighborhood. We love the walking trails, the pool, the sense of community, and the schools.

And Robinson is a great school! Like I said earlier, my kids are at Lake Braddock. But both of my younger sisters graduated from Robinson. And we have lots of friends with kids at Robinson. I've never heard anything but good stuff about that school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia