Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montacute View Post
Aggg! I am an idiot! The closest metro isn't Dupont--it is Farragut West. Does that change much in the way of commute? Probably not.
If you're coming from VA, it would actually decrease your commute by a couple of minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM

107 posts, read 154,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
If you're coming from VA, it would actually decrease your commute by a couple of minutes.
Good news at last! Thanks again Tone.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:27 PM

219 posts, read 472,306 times
From the perspective of minimizing commute, combined with charming neighborhoods, I was thinking Northwest D.C., north of Georgetown, but I'm not too familiar with the area other than being a guest of residents and generally driving around, so perhaps am overly optimistic about price range and availability. Still you can do lots of perusing on homesdatabase.com and get a decent idea of the housing stock available.

But Farragut West being your stop will shave about 15 minutes off your commute. I used to commute to Dupont Circle from Arlington and the switch from the blue/yellow to the red line often seemed like the last straw on exasperating mornings.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
But Farragut West being your stop will shave about 15 minutes off your commute. I used to commute to Dupont Circle from Arlington and the switch from the blue/yellow to the red line often seemed like the last straw on exasperating mornings.
You're right, it probably will be more like a savings of 15 minutes than 2 or 3 as I had figured out. I was thinking of the Farragut North stop instead of Farragut West. If you live closer to the Blue Line (Franconia/Springfield, Van Dorn), you won't have to switch trains as you would eventually would to get to Dupont Circle.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
If you are definite on the single-family home, then you should probably rule out Georgetown and many other DC neighborhoods within easy reach of Farragut West. Single-family homes in DC are concentrated in northwest DC neighborhoods that may be out of your price range.

There are some charming older neighborhoods in North Arlington that might meet your needs. Some 3 BR bungalows and capes would be in your price range, and would give you enough yard for gardening. You might even be able to find a "walk to Metro" home near the East Falls Church Metro station -- check the 22213 zip code. It won't be 30 minutes door to door, but it probably won't be much over 45.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:31 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You might also look just South of Old Town along the GW Parkway. We have lots of homes in that price range with nice lots for gardening and charming architecture. Zip codes 22308 and 22309.
Having lived near there and commuted to a destination near OP's, I would say this would RARELY be a half hour or less during the rush periods 7-9:30 AM and 4:30-7:30 evenings (approx.). I often drove for an hour, with a lot of it caught in Old Town traffic/stoplights, and more at the bridge.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
From the perspective of minimizing commute, combined with charming neighborhoods, I was thinking Northwest D.C., north of Georgetown, but I'm not too familiar with the area other than being a guest of residents and generally driving around, so perhaps am overly optimistic about price range and availability. Still you can do lots of perusing on homesdatabase.com and get a decent idea of the housing stock available.

SFHs in NW DC are more expensive than OP's budget, unless s/he's willing to do a fixer--and once you add in labor and materials etc., even that will likely exceed it.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:38 PM

If I were you, I would consider:

1) Braddock Heights, Del Ray, Rosemont, and Beverly Hills in AX
2) Some parts of Bethesda and Chevy Chase (MD) - Bethesda is more expensive, but I have a friend who bought a bigger house than what you're seeking for close to $900K so you may be able to find something smaller in your range. You're paying for schools and in some locations, being close to a fun downtown there.
3) American University area in DC
4) Aurora Hills/Arlington Ridge (22202) in Arlington
5) there are some grand, pretty houses on/near 16th St. on the North side of DC but it may be more risky re: crime, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM

I am pretty definite about the SFH--unless there is such a thing as a townhouse with a ginormous backyard. I've never seen such a thing, so it is probably good advice to stay away from DC. I'm searching on all the new suggestions now. Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'm encouraged to see that there are places in VA that may well get me close to my wishlist!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
If I were you, I would consider:

1) Braddock Heights, Del Ray, Rosemont, and Beverly Hills in AX
2) Some parts of Bethesda and Chevy Chase (MD) - Bethesda is more expensive, but I have a friend who bought a bigger house than what you're seeking for close to $900K so you may be able to find something smaller in your range. You're paying for schools and in some locations, being close to a fun downtown there.
3) American University area in DC
4) Aurora Hills/Arlington Ridge (22202) in Arlington
5) there are some grand, pretty houses on/near 16th St. on the North side of DC but it may be more risky re: crime, etc.

You know, it's funny you mention Chevy Chase. I haven't figured commute, but some of the houses I am seeing look lovely there. I'm checking all your leads and I thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia