U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 AM

11 posts, read 81,048 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any feedback on this area "S Lakes Dr & Castle Rock Square Reston, VA 20191" (Can I be more specific..lol) Im contemplating renting a Condo close to this area. I wont have a car in the beginning. Are there shopping malls close? Supermarkets? Parks? Theater? Recreation close to this area? Can I go to Reston Town Center on a bus? Are South Lakes High School and Hughes Middle School good schools?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 08:42 AM

260 posts, read 1,546,756 times
There are no malls in the traditional sense (multi-story indoor shops with a food court) near that location. But there is plenty of retail shopping within a 5 mile radius of that location (everything from a Target to Home Depot). The nearest real mall would probably be Tysons Corner or Fair Oaks Mall.

It's been a couple of years since I've lived in that area, but I think the nearest shopping center (grocery and support type stores) is either Hunters Woods Village Shooping Center or South Lakes Shopping Center. Both are within a mile or so (HWV is at the corner of Glade and Colt's Neck and SLSC is at the corner of South Lakes DR and Twin Branches, I think).

As far as busses go, check out Fairfax Connector's and Metro's websites:

North County Schedules and Maps - Fairfax Connector - Fairfax County, Virginia (http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/north.htm - broken link)
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (use this for point to point bus/rail directions and times for the entire DC area)

The 551 and RIBS2 lines of Fairfax Connector are the ones that run along South Lakes Drive. They go to both shopping centers I mentioned as well as to the West Falls Church Metro station (551), Reston Town Center (RIBS2), and South Lakes HS (Both). You can also use either one to get to the Herndon-Monroe P&R where you can catch a bus to Dulles Airport. You can catch a bus (605) from the RTC that will take you to Fair Oaks Mall as well.

Here's the 551 bus schedule: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/pdf/Rt_551_553_557web.pdf (broken link)
and the RIBS2: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/pdf/Rt_RIBS2web.pdf (broken link)

The nearest movie theaters would be at the Reston Town Center, with multiple theaters near Fair Oaks probably being the next closest. If you mean real theatre, the Reston Community Center at the HWV Shopping Center has a real stage with an annual program of theatrical events. It also has recreational facilities (gym, indoor pool, etc).

There are various parks and trails in the area, including a couple of outdoor pools (all pools in Reston share the same membership) and a Nature Center.

I have no idea about the schools but it's hard to miss in Fairfax County.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 PM

790 posts, read 1,611,043 times
Though I live on the other side of Dulles Toll Road, I know the schools you mentioned are good ones. And yes...you'll be able to take a bus to the Town Center. All in all, the bus system is fairly good. Good luck on the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or