Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM

216 posts, read 633,123 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help a family member price out a basement rental in Pimmit Hills, near Tysons Corner. It's a walkout basement with four rooms: a legal bedroom, another room with a window, a large room with no windows (could be a den, workshop or storage), and a kitchen with table space. There's a small bathroom with shower (no tub). The basement has a separate entrance and it's own washer/dryer. Quiet street near park, walking distance to Trader Joes, Whole Foods, library, etc. Quick drive to WFC metro (but not walking distance).

Any ideas how much this would rent for (utilities included)? I've been looking at craigslist rentals, but there are not a lot of comparable listings. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 10:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Have you thought about contacting a real estate agent and having them list it for you? The fees are typically small and they can help screen renters and do all the background checks, etc. And they will help you price it. Just a suggestion.

If not, then I would just see what other things have rented for in the area.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Have you thought about contacting a real estate agent and having them list it for you? The fees are typically small and they can help screen renters and do all the background checks, etc. And they will help you price it. Just a suggestion.

If not, then I would just see what other things have rented for in the area.

Good luck!

Thanks - I am already planning to consult a realtor re pricing, but would like additional thoughts from this group.

I don't think it's possible to find out how much apartments like this have rented for. From what I've seen, people may use realtors to rent houses and condos, but basements are considered more of a share situation and are typically rented through craiglist.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:00 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Why not try to find something similar listed on Craigslist? That'll give you a ball park figure to search from. You can always lower it if you don't get any interest initially.

(That's what I did when I was trying to sublet my apartment a few months ago)

Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Why not try to find something similar listed on Craigslist? That'll give you a ball park figure to search from. You can always lower it if you don't get any interest initially.

(That's what I did when I was trying to sublet my apartment a few months ago)

Thanks but I am trying to get a sense of pricing ahead of doing renovations in deciding whether the investment is worth it etc.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Oh, yes...didn't read your post well enough.

In Ashburn a basement typically runs $700 a month. Now I don't know if that includes utilities or not. So...maybe a little more in your area? My guess would be $900 TOPS.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 PM

309 posts, read 828,615 times
What is the approx square footage?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
What is the approx square footage?
Around 1,000 sq. ft.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 PM

214 posts, read 488,033 times
Sounds awful. My guess would be around $600 or so. You also need to check the zoning regulations and make sure it is legal to rent out apartments in your area.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
Sounds awful. My guess would be around $600 or so. You also need to check the zoning regulations and make sure it is legal to rent out apartments in your area.

I am curious, why do you think it's awful? Btw, ost apartment complexes in this area (mid-to-low end) have studios for around 1K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia