U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM

6,582 posts, read 10,888,223 times

Advertisements

My backyard has (In NOVA) has been dominated by large German Shepherds for 25 years and large Oak trees. I have no dogs right now but still have plenty of Oak trees. My yard is in pretty bad shape. I do not have the time to spend countless hours trying to make it into an award winning yard nor the patience to keep it that way. My motto has always been: "If God wants my yard green he'll make it green." That said, I'd like to make some improvements and get some grass in my yard. it has much dirt mixed with a little bit of grass. Is there anything that will grow in this heat and humidity of NOVA that I can throw down and just water? I don't have the time to do all the prep and straw etc. I just want to throw some type of hardy seed down and maybe water daily. My front yard looks good so now my back needs the attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,254,648 times
It's no help to you but we've given up on grass (we found out our house in particular used to be a rock quarry!) the clay soil here is terrible - I'm currently looking for some ground cover (NOT ivy), maybe something like that would work for you? - good luck! (We had a German Shepherd and still miss him

Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,890,602 times
Ever see that stuff the Highway Dept rolls out after they dig? It's like a mat that's impregnated with grass seed (a super hardy species) and fertilizer...the mat prevents erosion while the grass is taking hold and then it rots away.

I wonder if that stuff is available to Harry Homeowners?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM

6,582 posts, read 10,888,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Ever see that stuff the Highway Dept rolls out after they dig? It's like a mat that's impregnated with grass seed (a super hardy species) and fertilizer...the mat prevents erosion while the grass is taking hold and then it rots away.

I wonder if that stuff is available to Harry Homeowners?

I've never seen the stuff in any local store.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM

199 posts, read 603,132 times
you could buy sod with pre-grown grass at just about any nursery. Sometimes HomeDepot and Lowes have it. I think you are too late to try to plant seed and grow.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:58 AM

102 posts, read 533,816 times
Scott's has that bag of grass that you just throw down and water. It's at Home Depot. I never used it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:05 AM

8,793 posts, read 10,705,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums View Post
Scott's has that bag of grass that you just throw down and water. It's at Home Depot. I never used it, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

I think ive used that. Didnt even water, it did fine.

Heck, I wish I could make the grass in my backyard grow more slowly.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,796,414 times
Zoysia grass might work for you. It's supposed to be very hardy, drought-tolerant, low maintenance and ideal for hot and humid weather. it's typically grown in the Caribbean. It has an evasive root system. The only thing is that it loves the hot weather so once it gets cool in the fall, the grass will "yellow". Homeowners I've known who use it start out with plugs, not seeds.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,819,531 times
I'd wait until after August. Most sod that gets laid down in July dies, and seeds never sprout. You'll have much better results if you wait until after the summer heat wave passes. Dave at Merrifield Garden Center is the local lawn guru. Give them a call, and they'll give you all the help you want. Even if you wait until September, I would call first and see if the weather has cooled down enough for optimum planting.

There are a few different ground covers that work well besides grass. Again, MGC has great advice in this area. Mint or bugleweed are worth considering. Just remember that mint spreads. You will soon have more than enough to make mojitos for the whole neighborhood (and then some).

One good thing about mint, though-- mowing the lawn smells minty fresh.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 PM

628 posts, read 1,726,683 times
If you have a lot of oak trees, then you likely have too much shade for grass. Zoysia is out of the question without morning to dusk sun. I have a similar situation in my back yard and abandoned a lawn there years ago. What you need is a shade-tolerant ground cover. There are many kinds other than invasive English ivy that once established are maintenance free. Pachysandra is one example. Ask at a nursery and pick one you like best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia