U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-29-2010, 08:03 PM

25 posts, read 16,913 times
Default DC metro parking July 4th weekend

Hey everyone,

I tried posting this in the DC forum, but didn't get much of a response, so I'm trying it here.

I'm going to be in DC for the 4th, and would like to park outside the city and metro in. I see that the Franconia-Springfield and Huntington stations have multi-day parking spaces, but not that many. What are the chances of getting one if I show up sometime July 3rd? Do these lots even fill up for holiday weekends? (I'm guessing they do)

Are there any other options if these parking garages are full? Since weekends are free anyway, can you just park in a non-multi day spot?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-30-2010, 01:00 AM

9,035 posts, read 13,596,687 times
If those garages are full, you can always drive to Arlington, specifically the Ballston Commons parking garage on North Glebe Road. It's owned by Arlington County and open 24-7, so you can park there, just not in the reserved spots, and IIRC it's $8/day.

Ballston Parking Garage : Transportation : Arlington, Virginia

You can even get to the Metro by going across bridges across the streets from the Mall, and through an office building. It's more convenient than walking along the streets, especially since you do get some cool breaks when indoors.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Unread 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM

1,968 posts, read 2,507,171 times
You might try driving into the city. Last year, we drove in to meet family staying in a hotel near the White House, and getting on the crowded Metro with our infant twins in a double stroller was not feasible. We expected traffic, but we were the ONLY people on 66 driving into the city early in the morning; it was deserted. We easily found street parking one block from the hotel. It was probably worse later in the day - we were there really early to hear the reading of the Declaration of Independence at NARA. Getting out after the fireworks wasn't too bad, either, although we did hang out for a little while to let the crowds clear.

Unread 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM

123 posts, read 101,224 times
I think there's a good chance you'll be able to get a parking place at the Franconia-Springfield metro parking garage. And if you can't, park at the Springfield Mall and walk -- it's only about 2 blocks.

Unread 06-30-2010, 03:53 PM

25 posts, read 16,913 times
Thank you all for the replies.

About the Ballston Commons parking garage and the Springfield Mall - can I leave my car at these garages for several days? I'll probably be there for 2-3 straight days.

Unread 07-01-2010, 11:18 PM

9,035 posts, read 13,596,687 times
Ballston Commons is not an issue, I believe, to leave the car for a couple of days, since the garage is owned by Arlington County. Springfield Mall is not a controlled-access garage, like Ballston is, or I should say Ballston has on-site staff, since there are multiple entrances for pedestrians, but there are gates for cars. And, if I am not mistaken, there are security cameras at Ballston, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Unread 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,105,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus7 View Post
Hey everyone,

I tried posting this in the DC forum, but didn't get much of a response, so I'm trying it here.

I'm going to be in DC for the 4th, and would like to park outside the city and metro in. I see that the Franconia-Springfield and Huntington stations have multi-day parking spaces, but not that many. What are the chances of getting one if I show up sometime July 3rd? Do these lots even fill up for holiday weekends? (I'm guessing they do)

Are there any other options if these parking garages are full? Since weekends are free anyway, can you just park in a non-multi day spot?

Thanks!

It will LITERALLY take you at least 4 hours to get home on Metro on the 4th.

And I would def have a friend or taxi drive you to the Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia