Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 05:28 AM

105 posts, read 390,484 times

Advertisements

BINGO!!! No one is going to invest in land that they can't sell for a reasonable price.

I don't understand this comment. At the beginning of gentrification it's risk takers who invest in the land. The proximity of Rt 1 to the city (which directly affects the land value) suggests the risk would be acceptable.

I think it's more along the lines of what another poster said - the subsidized housing. Theres plans to add more just south of Beacon Hill above the Hybla Valley. Another trailer park, just brilliant.

You'd think with all of the money and intelligence in FC that they'd come up with an innovative design to for lower income housing. Ever see the shipping container houses ? What about throwing up a bunch of VT Lumenhauses?

Disclaimer - I'm biased. I live in the Rt 1 area, albeit closer to Ft Hunt Rd in the Beacon Manor area. But then again I'm a 25 yo engineer and own (mortgage) my housing. So maybe gentrification has begun. I've seen a lot of other homes in my area bought up by young families who put a lot of work into the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
I've always thought it odd that there aren't more songs about northern Virginia.

If there are any song writers out there, here's your million dollar idea. We need something catchy like "I Left my Heart in Fairfax County" or "I Love Del Ray (We Love It!)" or even "Viva Virginia!"

Doesn't have to be upbeat, just topical. Hey, if you want a country-western type song I can even give you a start for the lyrics:

"Virginia is for lovers,
so why am I alone?
Your house is made of vinyl...
But your heart is made of stone!"

or

"I'm living in Manassas
And my job is in Fair Lakes.
The drivers are jack-asses,
But at least we ain't got no earthquakes..."

Old 07-01-2010, 07:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you want to see tennis courts and people spending time in their yards, come out to the 'burbs!

Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM

13 posts, read 61,952 times
Why does everyone around here park on streets? I realize that a lot of townhome communities don't have a lot of parking available, but even in single-family neighborhoods... there are always cars parked on the streets!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:01 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobe0206 View Post
Why does everyone around here park on streets? I realize that a lot of townhome communities don't have a lot of parking available, but even in single-family neighborhoods... there are always cars parked on the streets!
Where I live everyone has parties or meetings at their house. We're making plans for the river cleanup in August and had about 20 people over to the house for an organization meeting. I can't fit all those people in my driveway, so they parked on the street. Probably the same thing's going on where you live.

(BTW the river cleanup is August 14. I hope some of you guys can come lend us a hand, it's a good way to meet some friends and a relatively fun event.)

Old 07-01-2010, 08:11 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
It seems to me that the newer generation of Architects and city planners encourage the USE of gas and cars as much as possible, but building remote areas that aren't close to anything....etc. I can understand it to an extent here in FL because it is so darn hot most of the year that no one in their right mind would want to walk anywhere, let alone carrying groceries....but in northern states that is inexcusable.

It seems they encourage "sitting" more than walking, the we wonder how come over 60% of the population is obese but pays for Gym memberships they never use! LOLOLOL

The Daily "RANT": Now that's just "funny"! (http://dailydoseofhealthyrants.blogspot.com/2010/03/now-thats-just-funny.html - broken link)

Yeah, you read it right: 15 Billion dollars.....do you know how many sidewalks we could have with that money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
Some neighborhoods have sidewalks, then they mysteriously end to someone's yard.
Sometimes the sidewalks are on one side; nothing on the other side.
Sometimes there are no sidewalks on either side.

I guess this explains why people drive to the grocery store even though it's only 6 blocks away.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
It seems to me that the newer generation of Architects and city planners encourage the USE of gas and cars as much as possible, but building remote areas that aren't close to anything....etc. I can understand it to an extent here in FL because it is so darn hot most of the year that no one in their right mind would want to walk anywhere, let alone carrying groceries....but in northern states that is inexcusable.
They are putting in place a ban on new communities with cul-de-sacs and single entrances. You're right though that the zoning practices here are very poor. It's partly because Americans don't like to spend as much time in public spaces as folks in other countries and prefer to be holed up with their nuclear families in their fortresses of solitude.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
GOOD! It's about time.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They are putting in place a ban on new communities with cul-de-sacs and single entrances. You're right though that the zoning practices here are very poor

hahahahahahahaha On my street now, there are several SAHM and I don't know ONE even, because they are all locked up in their homes......LOLOL I know because I saw them out trick and treating on Halloween and that was IT! LOL Pathetic!
Quote:
It's partly because Americans don't like to spend as much time in public spaces as folks in other countries and prefer to be holed up with their nuclear families in their fortresses of solitude.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio69 View Post
Some neighborhoods have sidewalks, then they mysteriously end to someone's yard.
Sometimes the sidewalks are on one side; nothing on the other side.
Sometimes there are no sidewalks on either side.

I guess this explains why people drive to the grocery store even though it's only 6 blocks away.
In Fairfax County developers are required to put sidewalks on one side of the street, but not both. So that's why they're only on one side, and why, if it's a cul-de-sac, they end at someone's driveway in the cul-de-sac.

Older neighborhoods didn't have this requirement, so they either have no sidewalks or sidewalks on both sides, depending on what the original builders did.

Friends of mine who were custom home builders tore down their old house and built a new one. The county required them to pay the cost of installing a sidewalk by their house in order to have their application approved. My friends said that was absurd because the rest of the the neighborhood has no sidewalks. The county said it wasn't actually going to build the sidewalk but they still had to pay for what it would cost if they did . (Probably used the money for more public housing along Route 1 ...)

(Sorry CAVA but since you offered an "explanation" to algia above, they're now fair game .)

Old 07-01-2010, 08:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,206 times
It's amazing how many people can't afford to go to the dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia