Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 05:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,041,460 times

Advertisements

I went to a BBQ in McLean the other day and the homeowner was acting like he was somehow superior to the rest of us because we live out in the suburbs.

Ummmm.... hello there Mr. Superiority! McLean is a suburb. It's not even that close to DC.

Thinking that you couldn't possibly live in a suburb because there are other suburbs much further out is something I find odd about Nova.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM

494 posts, read 1,189,800 times
I find it odd that supermarkets here have olive bars. I didn't know there was such variety in olives. The only olives I ever grew up with came in glass jars. The only time I taste olives is when someone orders them on a pizza and I eat that begrudgingly.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:36 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,888,291 times
People who brag about how good the economy is up here.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,875,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually Old Town Alexandria is fine for biking if you pick the right streets. You can ride pretty safely from one end to the other, especially North/South. Royal Street is particularly good for that.
Biking down Royal Street is actually one of the main things I miss about living (sort of) near Old Town! One of my favorite little rides was to go to the Torpedo Factory, lock my bike and wander around for a bit, and then return home. *sigh* I'm looking forward to moving back 'in' (towards DC) again.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,539,512 times
I find it odd that people here get afraid the entire region is going to look like the rosslyn ballston corridor.

arlington overall is about 8000 people per sq mile. The Ros ballston corridor must be at least 3 times the density of arlington overall - say 24,000 people per square mile? which would be about 40 people an acre (actually that sounds low, I bet its even higher)

FFx county is 400 sq miles. at 24000 per sq mile, it would hold about 10 million people. Loudoun would hold about half that ASSUMING you kept over half of LC as agricultural reserve. Thats 15 million people so far, and we havent even touched PWC.

There is no way, absent a science fiction scenario, that there will be a time that this region lacks low density residential areas. High density is likely to come to at most 10% of Fairfax County, and a much smaller portion of LC (possibly only the areas with a half mile or so of the silver line stations). yet people get scared that somehow Arlington will metastize everywhere.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,688,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
People who brag about how good the economy is up here.
That is the first time that I heard that.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

There is no way, absent a science fiction scenario, that there will be a time that this region lacks low density residential areas. High density is likely to come to at most 10% of Fairfax County, and a much smaller portion of LC (possibly only the areas with a half mile or so of the silver line stations). yet people get scared that somehow Arlington will metastize everywhere.
Very true, but I think most people who get nervous about "being Ballstonated" don't care if there is low density in some other part of Nova. They're worried about their own neighborhood.

People buy homes in a neighborhood because they like it the way that it is. They get nervous when there's a chance that their little slice of paradise could get torn up to become the next concrete jungle, and they don't want to have to move. It's just human nature, and people have the same fears in any metro area that's growing. That's one reason some people look for homes a little farther out--they search for a neighborhood that won't ever be Ballstonized.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,369,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's just human nature, and people have the same fears in any metro area that's growing. That's one reason some people look for homes a little farther out--they search for a neighborhood that won't ever be Ballstonized.
But I think brooklynborndad is right that that fear is irrational in a lot of cases. The only areas that have a chance of being Ballstonized (love that word, BTW) are those that have similar attributes to Ballston. In other words, they have to be near an existing or planned Metro line and there has to be an existing commercial corridor nearby. Some Silver Line areas do fit that description and will be Ballstonized, but you don't have to go very far from the city to find areas that will never in our lifetimes be Ballstonized. An example would be the area of Fairfax County between 66 and 95- Burke, Fairfax Station, West Springfield. There's just no conceivable way that area becomes high density in the next 50 years- the infrastructure won't be there.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
But I think brooklynborndad is right that that fear is irrational in a lot of cases. The only areas that have a chance of being Ballstonized (love that word, BTW) are those that have similar attributes to Ballston. In other words, they have to be near an existing or planned Metro line and there has to be an existing commercial corridor nearby. Some Silver Line areas do fit that description and will be Ballstonized, but you don't have to go very far from the city to find areas that will never in our lifetimes be Ballstonized. An example would be the area of Fairfax County between 66 and 95- Burke, Fairfax Station, West Springfield. There's just no conceivable way that area becomes high density in the next 50 years- the infrastructure won't be there.

LOL yup Ballstonized is a great word--and I actually like Ballstonated even better.

Good point, BTW--when viewed from this angle I'd agree. I can understand the dread of people I know in Reston & Herndon--but you're right that the odds of being Ballstonized in Fairfax Station etc. are just about nil. Of course you can also argue that anyone moving into Reston for the past decade knew that a train would eventually be coming, so recent residents don't get quite as much sympathy. Also, for the record, I'm personally happy about the growth coming to Reston/Herndon. Of course, in the interest of full disclosure we also sold our house in Herndon and moved to a community further away from the silver line.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

36 posts, read 74,851 times
freeway on-ramps that come BEFORE the off-ramp, so you have traffic speeding up crossing traffic slowing down. An accident waiting to happen.

OK, I know that's not just NOVA, seems to be the case east of the Mississippi. But I can never get over this horrendous engineering mistake that is allowed to continue on all new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia