Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 AM

62 posts, read 175,626 times

Advertisements

I might be relocating to a job in Chantilly, and I would like some suggestions on where to purchase a SFH in the area. My number one priority is schools, followed closely by kids recreation (parks, pools, sports leagues, etc). I currently have a 1 hour commute to work and I'd like to shorten that if possible. Our budget is 400-450k, looking for a 3/4BR, 2500+ sq ft. (If that's unrealistic we might have to rent.) We'd like to be reasonably close to shopping/entertainment, but don't need crazy nightlife (a few nice bars would do). Any suggestions on where to start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,286,169 times
If you want a newer house, I would look to Ashburn, where you would be able to get a decent house in your price range, though there may not be a huge selection. If you could deal with an older house, you could look in Fairfax, especially in the area near Fairfax City, because that would offer you proximity to Chantilly (Route 50 reverse commute), and you're not as far to DC.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 07-02-2010, 11:18 AM

50 posts, read 223,011 times
I have to 2nd Ashburn as I currrently live here in the Broadlands area (which is near Bonefish, All-American Steakhouse, and Clydes' for entertainment and good eats) The schools are great from what I've heard (my daughter is not quite the age to start kindergarten) .. I used to work in Chantilly and it was not that bad of a commute. There are other great communities to look within Ashburn, like Ashburn Farm, Ashburn Village, Brambleton, as well as Broadlands. It's pretty much a safe area..and very clean.. and I'm sure you can find a place in your price range..

You also may want to look into South Riding as well since it's near Chantilly (next town over, but still in Loudoun County) I am not familiar with South Riding, so I can't tell you much

Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM

989 posts, read 2,846,204 times
I will aso agree with Ashburn (I'm biased, though). Been here ten years and wouldn't live anywhere else. HOWEVER, I don't know if you could get a SFH for $400k-$450k. I think you'd have to go closer to $500,000...

Old 07-02-2010, 01:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,291,403 times
There are a few cute singles listed in that range...there are 2 right now...3 others are under contract. YOu just have to work with a good agent who will stock them for you, lol!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,953,029 times
Consider Sterling in the 20165 zip code. There are houses in the following developments that will fit your needs: Countryside and Cascades. Cascades contains Potomac Lakes and Lowes Island sections. There are many sports activities for kids, my grandchildren both play soccer and softball. In addition, there is Algonkian Park which has a large pool, miniature golf, a regular sized public golf course and access to the Potomac River for boating and fishing. Cascades has 5 community pools, 13 tennis courts, 25 tot lots. Countryside area is older than Cascades and has more homes in your price range. It has 3 pools, 3 tennis courts, and 7 tot lots. Both communities have walk/jog paths throughout the communities. Great shopping nearby at Dulles Town Center which has a Macys, Lord and Taylor, and Nordstroms. It's a straight shot down route 28 to Chantilly, about 10 miles to route 50. We have lived here since 1992 and love it.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:42 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,292,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I will aso agree with Ashburn (I'm biased, though). Been here ten years and wouldn't live anywhere else. HOWEVER, I don't know if you could get a SFH for $400k-$450k. I think you'd have to go closer to $500,000...
Yes, in Brambleton you will only find "courtyard homes", townhouses and condos at $450K and under. You'd have to go up to about $550K for a SFH. There's just not much resale inventory, and Phase III construction is selling pretty steadily.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:01 PM

214 posts, read 486,450 times
Ashburn is pretty affordable for this area. There are quite a few homes on the market right now in the 450k range, so OP would have some nice options.
Here is a link to everything that sold last year in that price range. (This website is the best IMO b/c it shows you the real price paid, including things like closing costs etc.):

Moderator cut: Please only post links to general MLS sites, not sites sponsored by a particular company. Thank you

Last edited by bmwguydc; 07-03-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia