U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,815,200 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

Does anyone know of any State or National parks towards Hagerstown, MD? When we drove to upstate NY, we took 495 to 270 and that area with all the hills etc was really beautiful and we were wondering if there are any parks such as the ones I mentioned in that area or around DC, within 1 to 2 hours drive? with trails, streams....etc, nice and quiet and scenic...?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:04 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,331,816 times
There are several access points to the Appalachian Trail around South Mountain (near Boonsboro). Is that the sort of hiking you are looking for?

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

Old 07-04-2010, 07:07 AM

Yeahhhh, That's beautiful...

I am checking this website too:
State Park Index

Found quite a few...can't wait to be in close proximity to all this!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yeahhhh, That's beautiful...

I am checking this website too:
State Park Index

Found quite a few...can't wait to be in close proximity to all this!
I highly, highly (and even more highly ) recommend planning a trip to Shenandoah National Park. Go when it is NOT foliage change time and the traffic isn't bad. There are so many incredible hikes off Skyline Drive and it is such an easy drive from metro DC. There are all sorts of hikes -- from easy ones for little kids to walking-along-the-edge-of-cliffs challenges. We have an Annual Pass ($30) and we head out there over a dozen times a year.

http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 AM

That's AWESOME, Thank you very much....

Here's a question: which parks are accessible in the winter time?

Coming for 9 years in Florida's endless flat and boring heat and land...sorry, not a flat land fan here....I am wondering since when I lived in Europe we took trips every winter to different resort towns and parks, how is the access here, our kids will be 5, 6 and 1 1/2...which parks are kid friendly in the winter? are the fees different in the winter time? Not really sure what questions to ask...LOLOLOL But you get the idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I highly, highly (and even more highly ) recommend planning a trip to Shenandoah National Park. Go when it is NOT foliage change time and the traffic isn't bad. There are so many incredible hikes off Skyline Drive and it is such an easy drive from metro DC. There are all sorts of hikes -- from easy ones for little kids to walking-along-the-edge-of-cliffs challenges. We have an Annual Pass ($30) and we head out there over a dozen times a year.

Shenandoah National Park - Hiking (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 07-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
That's AWESOME, Thank you very much....

Here's a question: which parks are accessible in the winter time?

Coming for 9 years in Florida's endless flat and boring heat and land...sorry, not a flat land fan here....I am wondering since when I lived in Europe we took trips every winter to different resort towns and parks, how is the access here, our kids will be 5, 6 and 1 1/2...which parks are kid friendly in the winter? are the fees different in the winter time? Not really sure what questions to ask...LOLOLOL But you get the idea...
The (usual) issue in the winter time around here is going to be mud. We have gone out hiking year-round but the mud can be a problem. For those times, I suggest hikes along the C&O Canal:

Chesapeake & Ohio Canal National Historical Park - Park Maps (U.S. National Park Service)

Both sides of the Potomac have great hiking opportunities (including kid friendly hikes), although I am partial to the Maryland side. (We've had the chance to see more bald eagles from the Maryland side, but it's likely just our lucky break more than anything else.)

As you have already seen, the Virginia state park system is wonderful. The counties also have great hiking/biking options, too:

Fairfax County Park Authority*- Fairfax County, Virginia

Parks in Loudoun County (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=603 - broken link)

http://www.nvrpa.org/park/main_site/...ch_by_activity

You'll have a variety of choices to select from, even if we get three or more feet of snow in a week like we did earlier this year.

ETA: You might want to check out the Northern Virginia Hiking Club's website, too.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 AM

Thank you much for pointing that out...are there any parks within 2-3 hour drive or less that get snowy? Yeah, I was watching that on TV last year listening to my daughter whining that she can't make snow angels in the snow! LOLOLOL I just love looking outside when it snows and then go out and play in it! LOL I guess you're never too old for that...LOL

Old 07-04-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Thank you much for pointing that out...are there any parks within 2-3 hour drive or less that get snowy? Yeah, I was watching that on TV last year listening to my daughter whining that she can't make snow angels in the snow! LOLOLOL I just love looking outside when it snows and then go out and play in it! LOL I guess you're never too old for that...LOL
If it snows in the metro DC area, there are lots of places to "play" in the snow. It will be a matter of getting there. In general, the snowier areas would be north and west of the city. Of course last winter people were sledding down the west steps of the US Capitol.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:58 AM

Cool.......

Yeah, I would have LOVED to do that as well........LOL

I used to sled down the stairs of my house back in Europe every winter....

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
If it snows in the metro DC area, there are lots of places to "play" in the snow. It will be a matter of getting there. In general, the snowier areas would be north and west of the city. Of course last winter people were sledding down the west steps of the US Capitol.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,072,530 times
The area near DC with the most reliable snowfall each year is Garrett County in far western Maryland. Deep Creek and WISP ski resort are there. About three hours from northern Virginia, with all but the last bit on well-maintained interstate highways.
But do NOT go during DC-area school winter holiday periods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia